Windows 10: ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe

Discus and support ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying ECHO sample kernel mode driver provided my MSFT samples using devcon.exe. When I install sample driver on windows10 it works fine, however... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Saurabh Singh Rathour, Jun 27, 2024.

1. ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe

I am trying ECHO sample kernel mode driver provided my MSFT samples using devcon.exe. When I install sample driver on windows10 it works fine, however when I install same driver on windows 11 I am noticing below error in windows event log “ROOT\ECHO\0000 had a problem starting. Problem Status: 0xC00000E5" Can you please help resolve this issue?

:)

Saurabh Singh Rathour, Jun 27, 2024

2. DevCon UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevicesW API logs Error in event viewer even on success.

Hi,

I have recently noticed that if we use devcon.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\10.0.22621.0\x64) to install a kernel mode driver then though installation is successful and driver is in running state but still it logs an error event in event viewer with following details.

On debug I've found that as soon as below API gets called we see error entry in event viewer. Even though API returns success.

if(!UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevicesW(NULL, hwid.c_str(), infpath, flags, &reboot)) {

{

}

I have checked devcon install with windows sample driver as well, and seeing same problem.

Windows-driver-samples/general/echo/kmdf at main · microsoft/Windows-driver-samples

Note: Issue is not observed in windows 10 OS. it only appears for windows11

Is this a known issue, how can we fix it with devcon.exe install?

Event Viewer Error

Device ROOT\MYSAMPLECLASS\0000 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem139.inf

Class Guid: {e2c4923e-5990-4d2d-b44a-0b9a36a7b1c3}

Service: MyECHO

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x0

Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Saurabh Singh Rathour, Jun 27, 2024
  3. TehSoM Win User
    Kernel Mode Driver error

Hi all,

I've been using ATITool for a while now, and it was phenominal. However, the other day I ran into a virus, and had to reinstall my OS (Windows XP Pro 32-bit). After I ran automatic updates, installed all the latest drivers, and etc., I now get the error "The Kernel Mode Driver does not seem to be working." I'm running on XP32-bit, as should be fully updated thanks to automatic updates. I don't know what the problem is. Does anyone know what is going on? And for that matter, what is the Kernel Mode Driver?

TehSoM, Jun 27, 2024
  4. Jakob.j Win User

ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe

Kernel mode driver problem

It still doesnt work. It gives me the very same error. Anyone know what a Kernel Mode Driver is? Because this seems to be the problem

Jakob.j, Jun 27, 2024
Thema:

ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe

1. ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe - Similar Threads - ECHO sample kernel

2. Windows can’t install the kernel-mode print driver

in Windows 10 News
    Windows can’t install the kernel-mode print driver: [IMG]When trying to add a printer to your Windows computer, you may encounter an error that says Windows can’t install the kernel-mode print driver. This just means that your computer can’t install the driver provided by the printer manufacturer. We are going to talk about...
  3. ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ECHO sample kernel mode driver install failure with devcon.exe: I am trying ECHO sample kernel mode driver provided my MSFT samples using devcon.exe. When I install sample driver on windows10 it works fine, however when I install same driver on windows 11 I am noticing below error in windows event log “ROOT\ECHO\0000 had a problem...
  4. Driver installation failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver installation failure: Hi, I have an Arduino Nano that needs the CH341 driver to work properly. I have already installed the driver on my windows 10 laptop and everything looks fine but when I try to install it on my main PC I always get "Driver install failure!". I tried installing it with and...
  5. Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap - storport.sys failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap - storport.sys failure: Hi there, I recently upgraded my PC to all new hardware. So far everything has been running pretty smoothly, all except a BSOD error I keep getting. I am studying/working in the VFX industry and use a 3D software called Maya. When rendering images within Maya, or sometimes...
  6. ACPI ATK0100 kernel mode driver not installed

ACPI ATK0100 kernel mode driver not installed: I recently pulled the HDD from my ASUS N61JQ-X1 to a Panasonic laptop I had received from work that was new-ish fresh from packaging, highly outdated as it still ran Win7 & has very outdated components that they had to get rid of due to lifcycle replacement. It is giving me...
  7. ACPI Kernel Mode Driver

ACPI Kernel Mode Driver: I just bought a brand new HP Envy All in One computer running Windows 10. When I start the computer I get an error saying "Can't Open Kernel Mode Driver". Once I click OK everything seems to run fine; however, I would like to find out how to fix this because there should...
  8. System User Group - Devcon exe

System User Group - Devcon exe: Hi, We have a problem about windows 10. Normally for USB usage restriction we use group policy. We set two policies; 1- "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" 2- "Allow administrator to override Device Installation Restrictions policies"...
  9. System failure "Kernel Mode Heap Corruption"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System failure "Kernel Mode Heap Corruption": I was just playing a game on my pc and right when I closed the game, my screen went blue and a sad face appeared with the name being "Kernel Mode Heap Corruption". I've read this can be a lot of things but I don't know the exact cause. I heard you can look at a dump file? But...
  10. Driver install failure

Driver install failure: Hello, I am trying to install the CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers on my windows 10 laptop for my ESP8266 ESP-12E NodeMCU (an arduino compatible wifi module), but I am not having much luck. The module does not appear in the device manager when plugged in, but I have read...