Windows 10: Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

Discus and support Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I have successfully boot both Windows 7 & Windows 10. (Windows 7 as my first OS with data (saved applications in C:, startup applications, Anti-Virus,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Dude, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Totep Win User

Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

I have successfully boot both Windows 7 & Windows 10. (Windows 7 as my first OS with data (saved applications in C:, startup applications, Anti-Virus, desktop preferences etc.)

My question is, how can I use the same data on Windows 10? Thanks!

Totep, May 23, 2015
  2. Wynona Win User

I use an external hard drive. Data in that drive is available to any user logged in.

Wynona, May 23, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Tutorial updated for Windows 10 RTM. *Smile

Brink, Jul 26, 2015
  4. Windowz10 Win User

So it is now my understanding that while the following worked for the tech preview, you cannot create a dual boot system in live using the same base key for both boots. ie: Windows 7 restored to an image prior to doing the Win10 upgrade on 1 drive, and a fresh install of Win10 on another drive- both essentially being based off of the same key.

Does anyone know for sure this won't work?

Also assuming even having a drive with a Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 along side another drive with the Windows 7 before the upgrade wouldn't work either.

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Windowz10,

When you upgrade to the free offer of Windows 10, you agree to no longer activate the Windows 7 key while the free Windows 10 is installed and activated.

If you wanted to install and activate Windows 7 again, then you would either need to purchase a new Windows 7 key or uninstall Windows 10 first to comply with the Windows 10 EULA you agreed to for the free copy.

Hope this helps. *Smile

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Windowz10 Win User
    Ok. I figured but still trying to find a work around.

Essentially I need to test out the final Live version of Windows 10 while preserving my known-good OS. This is for various reasons, but basically I cannot risk be stuck on Windows 10 with non-operational apps.

A thought does occur though. We are suppose to be able to undo the upgrade to Windows 10, which would mean being able to revert the key back. I suspect what would happen in that case is that Windows 10 would no longer be activated. That may not be as big a deal since I can get it fully updated while still activated. After that, all the non-Microsoft updates would still be installable since they come from companies like the GPU makers, etc etc.

Can you (or anyone) confirm that we are able to move back from Windows 10? If so, is there a restriction on how often it could be done? ie: would activation Windows 10 once a month to do OS updates, then reverting again be possible multiple times?

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Windowz10 Win User

I wonder..... upgrade to windows 10, then back up. Wait 1 month then upgrade again and back up again, wait 1 month, ...

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you so wish, but don't see why one would want to do that.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Windowz10 Win User
    Well again the idea is to primarily run Windows 7 say until we are sure that Windows 10 will properly support things we require, but still have Windows 10 testing abilities.

This approach would not only not require a separate box that remains Windows 10, but also continually tests the upgrade process- which will be a good indicator if suddenly problems arise.

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    If you have the hard drive space, why don't you just dual boot? I'm dual booting and have upgraded Windows 8.1 on both laptops to Windows 10 while leaving the Windows 10 partitions intact and still activated.

Wynona, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Legally by the EULA, you are not suppose to have the 8.1 installed and activated with the 8.1 key you upgraded to the free Windows 10 with unless you uninstall 10 first, or use a different key to activate 8.1 with.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot

2. Reverting to single boot Windows 10 drive from dual boot Windows 10 & 11 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting to single boot Windows 10 drive from dual boot Windows 10 & 11 drive: I took a drive with Windows 10 and cloned it. I then copied that cloned OS onto a new dive and setup a dual boot with Windows 11. When I boot up, I get the OS choice screen Widows 10 and Windows 11. All is working fine, although when I select Windows 10 it goes immediately to...
  3. Reverting to single boot Windows 10 drive from dual boot Windows 10 & 11 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverting to single boot Windows 10 drive from dual boot Windows 10 & 11 drive: I took a drive with Windows 10 and cloned it. I then copied that cloned OS onto a new dive and setup a dual boot with Windows 11. When I boot up, I get the OS choice screen Widows 10 and Windows 11. All is working fine, although when I select Windows 10 it goes immediately to...
  4. Reverting to single boot Windows 10 drive from dual boot Windows 10 & 11 drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why isn't my windows booting after dual booting Linux?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't my windows booting after dual booting Linux?: I dual booted Linux on another hard drive and now windows 11 pro won't boot properly on my computer. It just goes black after booting normally and then starts the loading process with no picture and doesn't stop....
  6. Why isn't my windows booting after dual booting Linux?

Why isn't my windows booting after dual booting Linux?: I dual booted Linux on another hard drive and now windows 11 pro won't boot properly on my computer. It just goes black after booting normally and then starts the loading process with no picture and doesn't stop....
  7. Recovery Key after Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Key after Dual Boot: Recently I dual booted my Windows 11 with Ubuntu and now while starting Windows it asks me for a recovery key each time I use Windows account. Is there a way to cancel this step every time?Thank you very much for your support...
  8. Recovery Key after Dual Boot

Recovery Key after Dual Boot: Recently I dual booted my Windows 11 with Ubuntu and now while starting Windows it asks me for a recovery key each time I use Windows account. Is there a way to cancel this step every time?Thank you very much for your support...
  9. How to Dual boot in the UEFI Era

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Dual boot in the UEFI Era: Hi,I would like to know about one more thing. In the UEFI era, HP will show the disk in the bootable options, only if it has UEFI supported boot sector? I don't know about the current situation. Back in legacy booting, BIOS will show all the disks to which you can boot. Even...
  10. How to Dual boot in the UEFI Era

How to Dual boot in the UEFI Era: Hi,I would like to know about one more thing. In the UEFI era, HP will show the disk in the bootable options, only if it has UEFI supported boot sector? I don't know about the current situation. Back in legacy booting, BIOS will show all the disks to which you can boot. Even...