Windows 10: Drivers update causing error on pc

Discus and support Drivers update causing error on pc in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Yesterday my windows pc did a drivers update and suggested a restart, after around an hour of restarting I figured something was wrong so turned it off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Pongypig, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Pongypig Win User

Drivers update causing error on pc

Yesterday my windows pc did a drivers update and suggested a restart, after around an hour of restarting I figured something was wrong so turned it off and back on and now every time I turn on my pc I get an error message with stop code inaccessible boot device. I took all troubleshooting steps available but haven't got anywhere closer to resolving the issue. I wasn't able to even launch in safe mode as I kept getting the same error message. I then decided to completely reset my pc as this was the only option left and now I am still getting the same error message, however it is now impossible

:)

Pongypig, Dec 11, 2021

2. Repeated Crashes and Boot Errors Apparently Caused by Driver Updates

Drivers update causing error on pc [​IMG]

Still no boot. Moving on to the next step.

Borromaeus, Dec 11, 2021
  3. Repeated Crashes and Boot Errors Apparently Caused by Driver Updates

This is up to step 10. I assumed "/fixoot" was a typo and tried "/fixboot." Should I proceed?

Borromaeus, Dec 11, 2021
  4. Edleen Win User

Possible Causes of atikmdag errors

I was courious to see how many different causes there are to the infamous atikmdag.sys error that strikes widely across and has so for a long time, I am getting it myself also and it is really starting to wear me out. It is pretty annoying having a $520 Readeon 3870x2 card if you can't use it without errors.

So first of all, here is the apparant reason for my atikmdag error:

When I play a game, regardless of settings, clocks or anything else, the fan speed wil not be adjusting and the card will get hotter as it performs. As soon as the card gets hot enough, my system will attempt to speed up the fan and as soon as they do, I get the atikmdag error. I never hear the fan of my card go beyond 30% fan speed unless I push it using Rivatuner.

Anyone else got other apparant reasons?

By the way, here are the steps I have been trying to fix it
    • Renaming atikmdag.sys to "atikomdag.sys(old)
    • Set fan speed profiles in Rivatuner depending on temeprature thresholds
    • Setting fixed fan speed in Rivatuner
    • Installing only the ATI drivers without Catalyst Control Centre
    • Replacing RAM blocks
    • Trying older drivers
    I have probably tried a few

Edleen, Dec 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Drivers update causing error on pc - Similar Threads - Drivers update causing

2. A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?: I contacted ASUS support already, but when I locate the error message in settings it takes me to microsoft support. I'm getting a warning saying my driver health is limited. My device wants me to install this update "Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM -...
  3. A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A driver won't update and it's causing my device to report a driver error? Maybe?: I contacted ASUS support already, but when I locate the error message in settings it takes me to microsoft support. I'm getting a warning saying my driver health is limited. My device wants me to install this update "Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM -...
  4. Driver error causing black screen on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver error causing black screen on PC: I had a driver power failure blue screen and it was stuck at 0 percent and it wasn't doing anything so I pressed the power button to turn it off and when I turned it on it is not booting up. Is there any way to solve this?...
  5. Driver error causing black screen on PC

Driver error causing black screen on PC: I had a driver power failure blue screen and it was stuck at 0 percent and it wasn't doing anything so I pressed the power button to turn it off and when I turned it on it is not booting up. Is there any way to solve this?...
  6. Drivers update causing error on pc

Drivers update causing error on pc: Yesterday my windows pc did a drivers update and suggested a restart, after around an hour of restarting I figured something was wrong so turned it off and back on and now every time I turn on my pc I get an error message with stop code inaccessible boot device. I took all...
  7. Driver updates causing blackscreens

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver updates causing blackscreens: Hi guys , I have an alienware m17x r2 with nividia gtx 285m ,windows is downloading updates for the graphics driver but when the update finishes and ask to restart i get a black screen and i cant see any thing till i delete the update in safemode....
  8. New Update cause errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Update cause errors: I just updated my windows 10 . After update,i am not able to open Microsoft Store,Get Help and many more other apps. Not even able to open the options available in Windows Defender. Showing that "YOU WILL NEED A NEW APP TO OPEN THIS LINK"...
  9. Updating the drivers causes a bsod with the driver ntoskrnl.exe

Updating the drivers causes a bsod with the driver ntoskrnl.exe: I have replaced the ram, motherboard and ssd but i still get the same error. Is there anything i can do to fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-the-drivers-causes-a-bsod-with-the-driver/48e7be99-4b6f-484c-8a1a-70dcfcbe4e81
  10. Repeated Crashes and Boot Errors Apparently Caused by Driver Updates

Repeated Crashes and Boot Errors Apparently Caused by Driver Updates: (Also posted yesterday on Tom's Hardware--no responses there so far.) I have an exactly one-year-old Asus notebook (X555DA) running Windows 10. A little more than a month ago my laptop after a restart was slow and certain pages and programs refused to launch, despite...