Windows 10: Don't have permission to delete a file

Discus and support Don't have permission to delete a file in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Yoav Zelinger, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Don't have permission to delete a file

HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to delete it through the powershell as administrator I get a message that I don't have permission for this operation.I searched online for several solutions Add permission, add an administrator account to delete it from it etc..I was thinking that an application may be using the file and blocking me from deleting it, so I tried to search for the file in the process monitor but no solution have been poped up.I saw a solution online to add t

:)

Yoav Zelinger, Feb 24, 2023
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Feb 24, 2023
  3. louhoang Win User

You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Feb 24, 2023
  4. Hydrate Win User

Don't have permission to delete a file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Don't have permission to delete a file wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Feb 24, 2023
Thema:

Don't have permission to delete a file

1. Don't have permission to delete a file - Similar Threads - Don't permission delete

2. I don't have my own permission to delete files....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't have my own permission to delete files....: please help , thankshttps://i.imgur.com/zU7rqbe.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G9lSyH4.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/q5dLTGo.png***moved from zh-hant*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-my-own-permission-to-delete-files/8de331a7-c4c0-4b75-932f-b6a3355daf68
  3. you don't have permission to open this file

you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  4. you don't have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  5. you don't have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Don't have permission to delete a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Don't have permission to delete a file: HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to delete it through the powershell as administrator I get a message that I don't have permission for this operation.I searched...
  7. Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders

Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders: Within specific areas on my PC mainly on other internal hard drives, every time I wish to Move / Rename / Delete any file or folder, I am greeted with a message saying "You need to provide administrator permission to perform this action". Pressing continue reveals an access...
  8. Don't have write permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Don't have write permission: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  9. I don't have permission to delete, alter, or save to certain files

in Windows 10 Support
    I don't have permission to delete, alter, or save to certain files: As you probably read int he title, I need help because I can't delete, alter, or save certain files. I don't know why this is happening, but it's really annoying. I looked this up and only found a temporary solution that's a pain to do for EVERY SINGLE FILE that has this...
  10. Don't have permission to save files

in Windows 10 Support
    Don't have permission to save files: Hi, I did try searching for help with this but it wasn't working for me so I wonder if anyone can help. I recently installed an SSD and cloned my previous C drive to it. Everything works fine. Except that I cannot save files in Program Files or Program Files x86 on the...