Windows 10: Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?

Discus and support Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 is approaching the end of its life. The illustrious operating system was launched in 2015 and is set to reach the end of its support phase... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 29, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?

Windows 10 is approaching the end of its life. The illustrious operating system was launched in 2015 and is set to reach the end of its support phase in October 2025. That means that Windows 10 has less than three years of viability left. However, the old girl still has life in her yet. Therefore, articles pertaining to Windows 10 are still relevant. In that spirit, the following article will clear up whether you need a product key to use Windows 10.

TL;DR: Do you need a Windows 10 product key?

No, you don’t need a product key to install and use Windows 10. However, there are certain concessions you’ll need to make. For instance, without activating Windows 10 with a product key, you lose the ability to change the background on your desktop through the Settings app.

How to use Windows 10 without a product key

Step 1: Download Windows 10

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? Do-you-need-a-product-key-to-install-Windows-10-03.jpg

Naturally, the first thing you’ll need to do is download Windows 10. Microsoft lets you do this without entering a product key, so this is relatively easy and straightforward. Simply head to the Windows 10 download page on our website, and you’ll be taken to a direct link to get Windows 10. If you need to install Windows 10 on a different device to where you download the file from, you may need to use a utility like USB Bootable for Windows. If you prefer the more official route, try the Windows Media Creation Tool.

Step 2: Install Windows 10

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? Do-you-need-a-product-key-to-install-Windows-10-02.jpg

Once you’ve downloaded the operating system, you’ll need to install it. Just start the installation process as you usually would and keep a lookout for the screen that requests a product key. All you need to do here is head down to the bottom of the interface and hit ‘I don’t have a product key.’ Hitting this will still let you continue the installation. You’re likely going to see another interface during the installation process asking for a product key. Don’t stress, there’s usually a similar link you can hit to skip the registration process.

By installing Windows 10 without registering the product with a product key, you’ll have the opportunity to install either Windows 10 Home Edition, or Windows 10 Pro. However, you should keep in mind that should you want to upgrade to a paid version of the OS, it will most likely be more affordable to choose to upgrade to Windows 10 Home Edition. No matter which version you initially select, the product will install as it usually does.

The drawbacks

This wouldn’t be a comprehensive article without listing the various drawbacks of using Windows 10 without a license. Even though it’s possible, it might be a little less than ideal.

Windows 10 won’t activate unless you use an activation key (product key). However, you’ll still largely be able to use your PC as you normally would. In the bygone days of Windows XP, Microsoft would physically prevent you from being able to use the OS without activating it. It would trigger Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) to revoke access to your entire PC. Nowadays, Windows will just moan at you every now and then.

In the beginning, it’s very likely that you won’t even notice a difference. In due time, your PC will start nagging you. The first thing you’ll notice is a watermark at the bottom right-hand side of your screen. Then, you’ll start seeing a ‘Windows isn’t activated. Activate Windows now.’ link underneath the interface of your Settings app. Luckily, there are no pop-ups or notifications involved.

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? Do-you-need-a-product-key-to-install-Windows-10-04.jpg

However, while there won’t be many irritations in terms of notifications, you will have to contend with a slight decrease in usability. For instance, if you head into the Personalization screen in your Settings app, you’ll see text that reads ‘You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.’ This means you can’t change your background, you can’t select a new accent color, you can’t change your lock screen, and you’re stuck with the standard Windows 10 theme and Start menu configuration.

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? Do-you-need-a-product-key-to-install-Windows-10-05.jpg

There’s a way around the wallpaper change, though. If you head into your gallery, you’ll still be able to right-click on an image and set it as your wallpaper that way. Another way in which Microsoft seems to have grown more lenient toward people using the OS without registering it is that Windows 7 used to kick you back to a blank background after a short while if you used the gallery to set a new one. Windows 10 doesn’t do this; at least, it hasn’t yet. Additionally, if you head to C:\Windows\Web in your file explorer, you’ll find all of the stock Windows 10 Wallpapers.

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? Do-you-need-a-product-key-to-install-Windows-10-01.jpg

Is it worth it?

In all honesty, there’s not much to gripe over when using Windows 10 as an unregistered product. You’ll still have the core functionality of your PC, and you’ll only be bothered by alerts when you head into Settings and try and change things. However, a future Windows 10 update could change this. But, given that the OS has a little over three years left in service, it’s unlikely that Microsoft would do you dirty in that way.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 29, 2022

2. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Dec 29, 2022
  3. AndreTen Win User
    Where is my Product Key if I want to re-install?

Like davidhk said. But if you really want to see your windows key, I would suggest Belarc advisor. It will give you some useful information about your system, product keys of your software is among them (not only Microsoft, you will have listed most of your keys).

AndreTen, Dec 29, 2022
  4. Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 29, 2022
Thema:

Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10?

1. Do you really need a product key to use Windows 10? - Similar Threads - really need product

2. Need Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Windows Product Key: I need the 25-character product key/digital license. My PC came with Windows 10 installed. This was many years ago. I don't have the original packaging. The code isn't anywhere on the PC. I need it to set up an NVMe SSD....
  3. Do you need a product key ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do you need a product key ?: If you need Windows 10 keys, contact me. I can give you link/Otherwise email you to buy Windows 10 license keys for low prices. Windows 10 PRO OEM for 1 PCLifetime - $25 Windows 10 PRO OEM for 2 PCLifetime - $40 Windows 10 HOME CD key for 1 PCLifetime - $25 Windows...
  4. can you use the same product key to reinstall windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can you use the same product key to reinstall windows 10?: so my computer got stuck in the mode where everything is deleted and you have to reinstall windows, and this product key was used on this computer to install windows originally, can i use it again? submitted by /u/Africa1By1Toto [link] [comments]...
  5. Need Windows key product

Need Windows key product: Split from this thread. I need a key product for my windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-key-product/5b49aa0e-2401-4c01-b9d2-b53d14e2e137
  6. How do you deactivate your windows 10 product key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you deactivate your windows 10 product key?: I activated my windows 10 by using the command prompt method but now I feel like it was not very safe so I was wondering if I can deactivate it so that I can purchase a real windows key. Or if anyone knows, is the command prompt method safe? submitted by /u/olafjansen...
  7. Do I just need a windows 10 product key?

Do I just need a windows 10 product key?: I recently built a new pc and I am going to boot it soon when i boot it will it just ask for a windows 10 product key because I bought one already do I need anything else?...
  8. where do you get a windows 10 product key?

where do you get a windows 10 product key?: My hard drive died and how do I fined my Windows 10 product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-you-get-a-windows-10-product-key/cdb04849-29e1-46fc-bbb2-57513e209fef"
  9. Windows 10 Product Key needed?

Windows 10 Product Key needed?: Windows 10 Product Key needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-product-key-needed/57b78dd6-f111-4e9c-af00-d22ecf452676"
  10. Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You: With Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a new activation system called digital entitlement that allows users to upgrade from an older operating system, such as Windows 7 and 8.1, to the new one without the need for a product key. Once the upgrade is complete, the system...