Windows 10: do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account

Discus and support do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Do I still need two factor authentication with a passwordless account? It seems redundant considering the Authenticator is performing both functions.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by GoyoCafe, Feb 15, 2023.

1. GoyoCafe Win User

do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account

Do I still need two factor authentication with a passwordless account? It seems redundant considering the Authenticator is performing both functions. As you roll out the new passwordless account feature, perhaps it would be best to also turn off 2FA. What am I missing?It also seems like a "Product" that could be listed in the topics selection could be for "Microsoft Account" questions. This question I have is not really Windows related, yet there is no better option. Just a suggestion.

:)

GoyoCafe, Feb 15, 2023

2. Microsoft Account set to use 2 Factor Authentication & Authentication Phone App but it doesn't prompt for authentication when signing in to my Windows 10 PC locally or remotely (via RDP).

OK I created a 2nd Microsoft account and setup the Authentication App on an old phone I had lying around for 2-factor authentication.

Step 1

I logged into this website with that account and it prompted me with the Authentication App so 2 factor is setup correctly on the NEW Microsoft Account.

Step 2

I logged in on my Windows 10 PC with that NEW account and it also DOES NOT PROMPT for 2-Factor Authentication.

I tried to log in via RDP and, again, it DOES NOT PROMPT for 2-Factor.

My question remains unanswered.

TylerMason, Feb 15, 2023
  3. Outlook account and MS Authenticator - Disable Passwordless?

I was testing my Outlook email account with MS Authenticator app and when I enter my Username in the Outlook.com page, after that, I get a notification to Deny or Approve the sign in request. This is all great.

But I do need to have the option to enter my password as well right after entering my username (email) and then receiving the deny or approve notification.

How can I disable Passwordless logon? Under the MS Authenticator app settings there is no option to disable passwordless.

I still want to be able to use my password along with the MS Authenticator app as well because If I don't, I am afraid I will forget it. And also, I may have to remember the password in case something goes wrong with my account.

win10freak, Feb 15, 2023
  4. do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account

How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

The "passwordless" option for personal Microsoft accounts was made available several months ago. I suspect, or at least wonder if, there is an issue within the flow of the Authenticator app that affects the process of trying to login to the app with an account that is (1) configured as a passwordless account and (2) requires two-step verification.

The good news is I realized that I could access all of my account's security settings from my PC (verified with Windows Hello) and from there I turned off the "passwordless account" and "two-step verification" features. Then I was able to successfully log into the Authenticator app again. Crisis averted.

Craig Stewart, Feb 15, 2023
Thema:

do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account

1. do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account - Similar Threads - still need factor

2. Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt: I am passwordless with Microsoft, I suddenly received a Microsoft authentication request and denied it as I wasn't logging in. Activity shows attempt from IP out of San Jose other side of the country from me. When I click secure my account I am told no worry as they didn't...
  3. Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt: I am passwordless with Microsoft, I suddenly received a Microsoft authentication request and denied it as I wasn't logging in. Activity shows attempt from IP out of San Jose other side of the country from me. When I click secure my account I am told no worry as they didn't...
  4. Two Factor Authentication Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Factor Authentication Issue: Two Factor Authentication has been forced upon all users who aren't already using it. I have a user that doesn't have a phone, therefore cannot use the authenticator app, and it doesn't even give the option to use a phone number. This user cannot get onto the system and this...
  5. Two Factor Authentication Issue

Two Factor Authentication Issue: Two Factor Authentication has been forced upon all users who aren't already using it. I have a user that doesn't have a phone, therefore cannot use the authenticator app, and it doesn't even give the option to use a phone number. This user cannot get onto the system and this...
  6. I need help with removing two factor authentication from account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with removing two factor authentication from account.: I no longer have access to my two factor authentication and can not remove it. My administration does not know how to remove it either. I tried contacting support but it tell me to "please contact your system admin" but they do not know how or who would be responsible for...
  7. I need help with removing two factor authentication from account.

I need help with removing two factor authentication from account.: I no longer have access to my two factor authentication and can not remove it. My administration does not know how to remove it either. I tried contacting support but it tell me to "please contact your system admin" but they do not know how or who would be responsible for...
  8. I need help with removing two factor authentication from account.

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account

do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account: Do I still need two factor authentication with a passwordless account? It seems redundant considering the Authenticator is performing both functions. As you roll out the new passwordless account feature, perhaps it would be best to also turn off 2FA. What am I missing?It also...
  10. do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    do i still need two factor authentication with passwordless account: Do I still need two factor authentication with a passwordless account? It seems redundant considering the Authenticator is performing both functions. As you roll out the new passwordless account feature, perhaps it would be best to also turn off 2FA. What am I missing?It also...