Windows 10: DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2

Discus and support DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; After upgrading to 24H2, the dll file icon is missing, and the "type" description changed to "dllfile".How can I restore the file type icon and type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Windows Category - All, Oct 21, 2024 at 12:12 AM.

1. DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2

After upgrading to 24H2, the dll file icon is missing, and the "type" description changed to "dllfile".How can I restore the file type icon and type description to the default settings?

:)

Windows Category - All, Oct 21, 2024 at 12:12 AM

2. Windows 11 - 24H2 - Paint - Create .ico icon files

Your suggedtions posted here won't reach the Paint product team. Use the Feedback Hub in Windows 10/11.

Don

3. Editing File Icon and Type Description

This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer?

For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a description under the "Type" column, such as "File folder" for a directory and "Text Document" for a .txt file. As an example, I have associated
    .pdf files with Google Chrome as the default program for opening it. They have the Chrome logo as the icon and "Chrome HTML Document" under the "Type" column, which is a little misleading. How would I change the icon to, say, a document icon from C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,
    and the type description to something more sensible like "PDF Document"?

I have tried to edit the registry directly via the Registry Editor that comes with Windows, editing the "(default)" entries of the relevant file types in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts,
    then restarting explorer.exe each time I make a change. However, nothing seems to have changed when I opened File Explorer again. Searching through past questions on similar issues did not give me any solutions either.

Thanks.

Note that this is not a question on:

• changing or displaying file extension;
    • changing default programs; nor
    • changing the column layout in File Explorer.

System information:

• Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    • Administrator account

4. David Haz Win User

DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2

MSVCP100.dll and MSVCP100.dll missing

Hello,

May we know if you have made any software changes to your device prior to the missing DLL files?

As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool and see if it helps with the issue. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted
    files. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

To run the System File Checker tool, you may follow the steps below:

• Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, type
      Command Prompt or cmd, then right-click it, and click
      Run as administrator.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and press Enter:
      • sfc /scannow
    • After the process is finished, you may receive the results of the scan, if it found any corruptions within your device.

We look forward to an update from you.

Regards.

Thema:

DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2

1. DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2 - Similar Threads - DLL file type

2. DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DLL file type icon and description missing after upgrading to Windows 11 24H2: After upgrading to 24H2, the dll file icon is missing, and the "type" description changed to "dllfile".How can I restore the file type icon and type description to the default settings?...
  3. DLL files missing after Windows 11 update

DLL files missing after Windows 11 update: Hi all, I have recently encountered an issue after installing the latest Windows 11 update. Each time that I try to open an Adobe product Acrobat, Photoshop, Lightroom, I get the error messages that the following files are missing: MSVCP140.dll , VCRUNTIME140.dll ,...
  4. DLL files missing after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DLL files missing after Windows 11 update: Hi all, I have recently encountered an issue after installing the latest Windows 11 update. Each time that I try to open an Adobe product Acrobat, Photoshop, Lightroom, I get the error messages that the following files are missing: MSVCP140.dll , VCRUNTIME140.dll ,...
  5. Missing description of icons on Facebook

Missing description of icons on Facebook: Hi,On the start page of Facebook, there are icons, left and right. Since a week or so, the text/ description of the icons is missing. I use Windows 10, and my standard browser is Chrome. The problem does not occur on other browsers Firefox, Edge, Opera. Also other family...
  6. Missing description of icons on Facebook

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing description of icons on Facebook: Hi,On the start page of Facebook, there are icons, left and right. Since a week or so, the text/ description of the icons is missing. I use Windows 10, and my standard browser is Chrome. The problem does not occur on other browsers Firefox, Edge, Opera. Also other family...
  7. Missing description of icons on Facebook

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Setting File type descriptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting File type descriptions: Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays. In the 'good' old days this could easily be done. But it obviously was too user-friendly so it got removed. I know the NirSoft tool FileTypesMan which is often recommended for this, as in the answers to this:...
  9. DLL missing after 1903 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DLL missing after 1903 upgrade.: Just upgraded to 1903 and had the PC lock up a short time later, (0ne or two hours) had to disconnect the power supply. I restarted the PC a couple of times and the mentioned DLL seems to be a problem? [ATTACH] Any suggestions Please?...
  10. Editing File Icon and Type Description

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing File Icon and Type Description: This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer? For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a...