Windows 10: Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers.

Discus and support Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Disable GTP Disk's "Protective partition" so you can move disks between computers.Pretty much as the subject head lines says. I would like to have this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Li0nKing, Sep 19, 2024 at 11:33 AM.

1. Li0nKing Win User

Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers.

Disable GTP Disk's "Protective partition" so you can move disks between computers.Pretty much as the subject head lines says. I would like to have this protection disabled by default so Windows do not create protected HDD's Or SSD's for that matter, which is very hard to move another rig. How do you disable the default "partition protection" that is enabled by default on HDDs which makes it impossible to take HDD and move it to another workstation, server or add into a External USB casing/conector?As it is right now as you guys already probably know it is impossible to move a HDD from one co

:)

2. W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?

Hail, sir, thank you for replying.

I am known with the MSDOS Commands, sir.
    Thank you.
    This would make me lose all data.
    Unacceptable.

Quoting myself:

"This drive was a W10Ult_X64, never had issues."
    Elaborating: => This would, generally speaking, it was base GTP, and formatted in NTSF, as this is the base way.
    Correct, sir?
    Note: Forgot to mention, had more partitions.

Plus:
    "Windows 11 Enterprise x64 23H2"
    Elaborating: => This would, generally speaking, accepting the same base GTP, as well as the format in NTSF.
    Correct, sir?

And:
    Now, the GTP Base Partition turned somehow into a GTP Protected Partition, and shows on top mere HALF the total hdd size (3TB became 16'384MB???) which I totally fail to comprehend.
    Elaborating: => Seeing the HDD had the Win 10 generally used HDD config, HOW, and WHY could it turn into protected?
    And WHERE is the rest of the darn drive gone to?
    30 TB = 30'000'000 MB

30'000'000 MB - 16'384MB = A lot gone (29'983'616 to be precise, or nigh ALL ... )?
    How does this even remotely sound possible?
    Drive was in optimal condition, when it was removed from the now gone W10Ult_x64 computer, and stored correctly.
    I am flabbergasted.
    More so, as it is 3 drives having this.

The questions then:
    How can I swap the partition back to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?
    Elaborating: => This would mean, I cannot access the data, as it is protected (See: And:).
    I cannot reinstall W10Ult_x64 to access the drive ... .

"Additionally, you can use third-party tools to interact with a GPT disk."
    The issue came "by the hand of Windows".
    How is it even remotely possible, there is no tool for these issues in Windows, as it is caused by Windows? Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers. o_O
    And which tool, then, would be safely capable of performing this operation?

Thank you, sir.

Ben Robberecht, Sep 19, 2024 at 11:38 AM
  3. W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?

Hail all:

System: (Note: No Watercooling used.)
    Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG B460 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C81) (U3E1) (Motherboard)

Intel Core i5 10600K @ 4.10GHz 28 °C (CPU)

64,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1196MHz (RAM)

Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 4095MB 42 °C (GPU)

KINGSTON SNVS500GB (SATA-2 (SSD)) ( NVMe Boot/System Device)

SPCC Solid State Disk (SATA (SSD)) (Virtual Memory-/Swapfile Drive)

3726GB Hitachi HGST HUS726040ALE610 (SATA ) 20° - 30°C (x 6, 34TB total) (Data Drives)

Windows 11 Enterprise x64 23H2

Nedis Coatyss "Nedis GKBD400bkus" Metal Mechanical Keyboard

PERIMICE-517 - Wired Ergonomic Vertical Trackball Mouse – Perixx UK

Issue:
    Through a HDD/SSD Hub, I wanted to move data from older disk to current disk.
    This drive was a W10Ult_X64, never had issues.
    Now, the GTP Base Partition turned somehow into a GTP Protected Partition, and shows on top mere HALF the total hdd size (3TB became 16'384MB???) which I totally fail to comprehend.

Q:
    How can I swap the partition back to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?
    I cannot reinstall W10Ult_x64 to access the drive ... .

Please assist?

Thank you.
    Ben

***Moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Devices and drivers***

Ben Robberecht, Sep 19, 2024 at 11:38 AM
  4. Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers.

W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?

Hello,

It seems like your GPT (GUID Partition Table) has turned into a protective partition. This is a feature meant to prevent older systems that only recognize MBR (Master Boot Record) from overwriting the GPT data.

If you can still access the data on the drive, back it up immediately to another storage device. Then, you can try to use the `diskpart` utility to convert the disk from a protective partition to a normal GPT partition.

NOTE: Using `diskpart` can be risky. If you're not familiar with this tool, seek professional assistance.

Here's a general idea of the steps for `diskpart`:

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
    2. Type `diskpart` and press Enter.
    3. Type `list disk` and press Enter.
    4. Identify the disk number you want to convert (be sure you have the correct one).
    5. Type `select disk X` (where X is the number of your disk) and press Enter.
    6. Type `clean` to clean the disk. NOTE: This will erase all data on the disk if it proceeds.
    7. Then, you can convert to GPT by typing `convert gpt`.

Additionally, you can use third-party tools to interact with a GPT disk.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Thema:

Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers.

1. Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers. - Similar Threads - Disable GTP Disk's

2. Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable GTP Disk's "Partition protection" so you can move HDDs between computers.: Disable GTP Disk's "Protective partition" so you can move disks between computers.Pretty much as the subject head lines says. I would like to have this protection disabled by default so Windows do not create protected HDD's Or SSD's for that matter, which is very hard to move...
  3. W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?: Hail all:System: Note: No Watercooling used.Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG B460 TOMAHAWK MS-7C81 U3E1 MotherboardIntel Core i5 10600K @ 4.10GHz 28 °C CPU64,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1196MHz RAMMicro-Star International Co. Ltd. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 4095MB 42 °C...
  4. W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?

W11Ent_x64 HDD: GTP Protected Partition to GTP Base Partition without loosing data?: Hail all:System: Note: No Watercooling used.Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG B460 TOMAHAWK MS-7C81 U3E1 MotherboardIntel Core i5 10600K @ 4.10GHz 28 °C CPU64,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1196MHz RAMMicro-Star International Co. Ltd. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 4095MB 42 °C...
  5. Data comparison between 2 HDDs.

Data comparison between 2 HDDs.: I have 2 HDDs installed in workgroup PC. I copied necessary data from 1 HDD to another HDD. There are too many subfolders. Now I want to verify that all data is copied successfully or not.How can I verify data folder by folder & file by file?I checked each & every folders'...
  6. Can you move an already installed program between computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you move an already installed program between computers?: I have two windows xp servers without internet connection, one of them has a specific program and the other one doesn't.I cannot use a usb to copy an installation file on the one without it, but i can move files between both computes.When I tried to just copy the program and...
  7. Can you move an already installed program between computers?

Can you move an already installed program between computers?: I have two windows xp servers without internet connection, one of them has a specific program and the other one doesn't.I cannot use a usb to copy an installation file on the one without it, but i can move files between both computes.When I tried to just copy the program and...
  8. How to move unallocated disk space between partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move unallocated disk space between partitions: I have used up almost all of the space on my C: Drive and have plenty of storage in my F: Drive however after make Unallocated space from the F: Drive on Disk 2 I can't extend my C: Drive on Disk 0. Is there a way, without having to use 3rd party software, to move the...
  9. Moving between computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving between computers: What's the best way to capture my user profile and move everything to a new computer I'm expecting to arrive this week. I can easily move the files and what not but I'm wondering if there's a way I can easily duplicate all the settings and stuff that have been configured over...
  10. Can you DISABLE a hard disk Partition/Volume in windows 10??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can you DISABLE a hard disk Partition/Volume in windows 10??: I want to perform memtest on my ram and it requires a USB flash drive to write memtest86-usb.img file which can cause possible loss of capacity in it but i don't have a flash drive in handy at the moment. However, i do have a external 1tb (G:) HDD(931gb | 682gb Occupied with...