Windows 10: Different product keys. Which one is correct?

Discus and support Different product keys. Which one is correct? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all. I need to reinstall windows because my updater won't install or even find the 2004 spring update anymore. Figured a clean install would help.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_Novagrog_, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Different product keys. Which one is correct?

Hi all.

I need to reinstall windows because my updater won't install or even find the 2004 spring update anymore. Figured a clean install would help. I watched some tutorials, and they say I should not be asked for a product key (or to skip that part) for some reason, but better safe than sorry I always say.

I tried a few methods to retrieve the key, but I'm having a bit of a problem.

First method was to type this command in the command prompt : wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey. But it doesn't generate a key for some reason. I know this is not a pirated windows, I bought the PC with windows included.

Second method was to download an app from NirSoft. But when I run the application I get a pop-up saying Windows cannot run this program as it contains either a virus or some other thing.

Third method was simple : look for the sticker on the back of the PC. Okay. Pen and paper never fails. So I wrote it down.

Not satisfied for some reason, I looked into a fourth method. It consists of typing some stuff in Notepad, and saving the file as productkey.vbs. This creates a new icon, and clicking it pops up a window with a product key. They say it retrieves it from the registry I think.

So now I have two product keys, but they're not the same! I have two very different ones. Even the number of letters and numbers are different. One is ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE. The other is ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE-ABCDE.

What is this sorcery?

submitted by /u/_Novagrog_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/_Novagrog_, Aug 17, 2020

2. Different Product Keys

I am trying to determine the product key for system incase I need to reinstall windows. I have a windows 10 install along with a product key I used to activate windows. However when I run this command in powershell "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get
    OA3xOriginalProductKey" I get a different product key. Which of these keys is the correct product keys is the correct key I should record?

IkennaOkafor, Aug 17, 2020
  3. RolandJS Win User
    Identifying the correct product key

Might be useful to have a tiny text file listing each computer with its windows edition and product key, and that file residing in some data place on each computer, or, maybe a printout or two.

RolandJS, Aug 17, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Different product keys. Which one is correct?

Different Product Keys

Hi Ikkena

The product key that Powershell command returned is the correct product key

However, you will never need it, Windows 10 licencing is totally different to previous versions of Windows. When you initially activated Windows on your PC a unique identifier for your PC was generated form your hardware and that is stored on the Microsoft
    Activation Servers in the form of a digital entitlement for your PC to run Windows 10.

If you check your Activation (Settings - Update and Security - Activation) you will see that Windows 10 is activated with a digital licence

Should you ever need to re-install Windows 10 in the future, since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10
    on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

DaveM121, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

Different product keys. Which one is correct?

1. Different product keys. Which one is correct? - Similar Threads - Different product keys

2. Two windows volumes, which one is the correct one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two windows volumes, which one is the correct one?: I recently re-installed windows and now whenever I boot my pc windows prompts me to choose one of them, however is there any way to tell which one is which? Since one of on an and SSD that will probably die in the next year and the other is one that is relatively new...
  3. Two windows volumes, which one is the correct one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two windows volumes, which one is the correct one?: I recently re-installed windows and now whenever I boot my pc windows prompts me to choose one of them, however is there any way to tell which one is which? Since one of on an and SSD that will probably die in the next year and the other is one that is relatively new...
  4. Two windows volumes, which one is the correct one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot Find Correct Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot Find Correct Product Key: I found 2 different product keys in Windows 10.I ran Command Prompt and Power Shell as admini.strtor. They gave me the same product key.ThenI wanted to make certain I had the right one I went to Registry and looked there. It gave me a completely different product key.Which is...
  6. Different Product Keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different Product Keys: So I was going to reinstall windows, and decided to get my product key. I got this pc from someone with w10 pro already installed. I go to cmd, and type the text that displays the key, and I get a key. Just to make sure, I do the notepad.vbs script and I get a different key....
  7. Identifying the correct product key

Identifying the correct product key: I'm about to upgrade my computer for the first time since Windows 10 came out, and it is a substantial upgrade (including the motherboard.) I have four computers in the house running Windows 10. Two of them use upgrade licenses from Windows 7, two have retail copies purchased...
  8. different product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    different product key: I can not activate windows 10. 0x8007007B error in my display. please give me different product key. please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-product-key/706a4405-de9e-4c92-9312-875c8ed0a859
  9. Different Product Keys

Different Product Keys: I am trying to determine the product key for system incase I need to reinstall windows. I have a windows 10 install along with a product key I used to activate windows. However when I run this command in powershell "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get...
  10. Different Product Keys?

Different Product Keys?: Would appreciate your help. *Smile Have an Acer with a COA showing the product key for Windows 7. Ran Belarc Advisor, and it shows a different Product key for Windows 7. Any clues as to why he PKs do not match? Also, planning to install Windows 10 Home, and...