Windows 10: Desktop never loads icons and not responding

Discus and support Desktop never loads icons and not responding in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For some reason, now windows can never load icons and clicking anywhere would crash and restart the desktop, and do that againI cant even open task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by conic the cat, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Desktop never loads icons and not responding

For some reason, now windows can never load icons and clicking anywhere would crash and restart the desktop, and do that againI cant even open task managerAnd no, other accounts does not matter, the two others do the sameI cannot share an image but i can describe itJust a very empty desktop, no icons on desktop area and taskbarYesterday, the icon for the Microsoft store got removed, but still can be openedCould it be a sign of an update issue and somehow got worse?

:)

conic the cat, Feb 13, 2023

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Feb 13, 2023
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Feb 13, 2023
  4. Desktop never loads icons and not responding

Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Safe Mode = no problem with explorer.exe, very low cpu (still no desktop icons)

Will try to get to clean boot over the weekend.

User 2 (account you suggested I set up for test):
    - first click is responding on desktop icons (contrary to what I saw the other day)
    - explorer.exe (14.8%, 17.3%) and mailwasher (15.2%) running high cpu (screenshot)

Desktop never loads icons and not responding d1486634639t-desktop-icons-not-responding-first-click-opening-other-icons-system-explorer-user-2.jpg

highstream, Feb 13, 2023
Thema:

Desktop never loads icons and not responding

1. Desktop never loads icons and not responding - Similar Threads - Desktop never loads

2. Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted: Windows 11 Pro all drivers updated, windows updated. Sometimes my main monitor the desktop is not responsive. Right click doesn't do anything and clicking any of the icons doesn't do anything. But my secondary monitor I can right click on it. The main monitor will start...
  3. Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted: Windows 11 Pro all drivers updated, windows updated. Sometimes my main monitor the desktop is not responsive. Right click doesn't do anything and clicking any of the icons doesn't do anything. But my secondary monitor I can right click on it. The main monitor will start...
  4. Desktop never loads icons and not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop never loads icons and not responding: For some reason, now windows can never load icons and clicking anywhere would crash and restart the desktop, and do that againI cant even open task managerAnd no, other accounts does not matter, the two others do the sameHeres an imageYesterday, the icon for the Microsoft...
  5. Desktop never loads icons and not responding

Desktop never loads icons and not responding: For some reason, now windows can never load icons and clicking anywhere would crash and restart the desktop, and do that againI cant even open task managerAnd no, other accounts does not matter, the two others do the sameI cannot share an image but i can describe itJust a...
  6. Icons on Desktop are slow to respond to the cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons on Desktop are slow to respond to the cursor: After a certain number of shortcuts the delay gets bigger with my cursor and the icon being highlighted. It's not my hardware's fault I have a good computer....
  7. Desktop shortcut icon ot responding

Desktop shortcut icon ot responding: I used the software yesterday and when I returned to use it again (to copy from an iphone to pc) the icon on the desktop would not respond.Got a revolving circle then nothing.It is Touch CopyTOUCH COPY. ERROR docx.docx 166589
  8. Speaker Icon on desktop not responding

Speaker Icon on desktop not responding: The Speaker icon on my desktop has stopped responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-on-desktop-not-responding/9c70dba2-86e6-4472-aa02-91f2a694a60e
  9. Windows 10 - Desktop not responding, taskbar icons not loading

Windows 10 - Desktop not responding, taskbar icons not loading: So today when I went and turned on my computer, all my icons that are pinned to my taskbar is gone, and when I try to click on the icons on my desktop, nothing happens the computer worked perfectly yesterday I have searched on YouTube for solutions l but nothing worked....
  10. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons: Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD As detailed in another thread, I've had problems going from 1511 to 1607, but have settled in with the latter for the past week. To try to sort a couple of problems, I ran a...