Windows 10: Desktop folder stuck

Discus and support Desktop folder stuck in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A couple months ago I had trouble with my onedrive. Too lazy to handle it so I uninstalled it. A file in my pc was crashedrefer to the photo belowThe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by marr26, Dec 10, 2021.

1. marr26 Win User

Desktop folder stuck

A couple months ago I had trouble with my onedrive. Too lazy to handle it so I uninstalled it. A file in my pc was crashedrefer to the photo belowThe problem now is that the file is on my desktop screen, and I cant even do anything with it. Cant delete to recycle bin, transfer to other file. Literally nothing

:)

marr26, Dec 10, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Desktop folder stuck :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Desktop folder stuck :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Dec 10, 2021
  3. windows update stuck at installation screen and cannot get to desktop

Hi Sue,

To understand the issue better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Is the computer stuck in the Installing updates screen?
    • For how long is the computer stuck in the screen?
    • When was the computer last updated?
    • Is the screen showing any percentage of installation?

Sometimes the installation might take a long time to install if the update is of large size. So, I suggest you to wait for sometime and check if the system boots to the desktop. If it is taking a longer time, then perform a Power Drain by following the steps
    provided below:

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 10, 2021
  4. Desktop folder stuck

Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon

That sounded like the solution but actually it didn't work at all.

I solved in another way, and NOTHING else worked (I've been trying for weeks):

1. Rename your desktop folder, something like "olddesktop";
    2. Create a new folder called "Desktop";
    3. Apply the Desktop icon stored in imageres.dll (the folder behind the desktop will appear automatically with the imageres.dll icon, the SHELL32.dll icon is just the desktop with no folder behind);
    4. Right-click the old folder and use the "Path" tab to move its content to the new folder;
    5. Delete the "olddesktop" folder;
    6. Refresh your user folder with the F5 key.

Luca Cavallini, Dec 10, 2021
Thema:

Desktop folder stuck

1. Desktop folder stuck - Similar Threads - Desktop folder stuck

2. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...: So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied....
  3. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...: So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied....
  4. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Desktop folder stuck

Desktop folder stuck: A couple months ago I had trouble with my onedrive. Too lazy to handle it so I uninstalled it. A file in my pc was crashedrefer to the photo belowThe problem now is that the file is on my desktop screen, and I cant even do anything with it. Cant delete to recycle bin,...
  6. Desktop folder stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folder stuck: A couple months ago I had trouble with my onedrive. Too lazy to handle it so I uninstalled it. A file in my pc was crashedrefer to the photo belowThe problem now is that the file is on my desktop screen, and I cant even do anything with it. Cant delete to recycle bin,...
  7. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  8. Desktop is stuck...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop is stuck...: I am using Windows 10 latest version, as of this posting, on an all-in-one Acer desktop. I turned on my computer today. Once I logged in, my background came up, with no desktop icons. I am not in tablet mode and and there aren’t tablet apps. It is a totally blank screen,...
  9. Desktop Folders

Desktop Folders: The feature allowing me to create new folders on the desktop has stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders/a871e3bc-5e42-4dfc-96b8-27efbf2f02ff"
  10. Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon

Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon: This is what I see from my user folder: the desktop is now an "empty folder" icon and I am not able to change it back to the original icon. [ATTACH] I even tried every method on this well made guide but nothing worked....