Windows 10: Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus

Discus and support Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My w8.1 Window updates have not been working for some 2-3 years, Automatic Maintenance has also not been working for the same duration, now Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by VSRawat, Aug 14, 2023.

1. VSRawat Win User

Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus

My w8.1 Window updates have not been working for some 2-3 years, Automatic Maintenance has also not been working for the same duration, now Windows Defender has also started NOT updating virus definitions.I can manually download mpam-fe.exe and run to update that, but that is not convenient enough, and also a wastage of bandwidth and time to download entire set of definitions some 1 27 MB as of date for just a week's new definitions. Then I forget often.So, I seek to stop Windows Defender and use a third party antivirus.Please suggest a free antivirus for w8.1, that is sleek, silent and most

:)

VSRawat, Aug 14, 2023
  2. Milton Win User

definition update for windows denfender antivirus

Hi mknic,
    I have literally just installed the definition update KB2267602 without any problem. I suggest as a first step checking all the Windows Defender settings to make sure they all have the 'green ticks' in each section.

Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus 208005d1539311004t-definition-update-windows-denfender-antivirus-screenshot_1.jpg

ps. The only reason the 'Family Options' is not ticked is because I am the only user on my computer.

I also would suggest running the 'Troubleshoot' feature in the Update & Security settings which has a section dealing with update problems.

Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus 208006d1539313101t-definition-update-windows-denfender-antivirus-screenshot_2.jpg

Milton, Aug 14, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?

Hello, *Smile

If you are wanting to turn off Windows Defender Antivirus, then you could use an option in the updated tutorial below. Be sure to turn off Tamper Protection first in step 1.

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Brink, Aug 14, 2023
  4. afornal Win User

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Aug 14, 2023
Thema:

1. Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus - Similar Threads - Defender updating Please

2. Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates: I want to use Windows Defender Firewall to block outbound connections. I've configured it to block outbound connections and added a rule to allow the browser. However Windows Defender Antivirus then cannot download antivirus updates. I've tried adding a rule to allow...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates: I want to use Windows Defender Firewall to block outbound connections. I've configured it to block outbound connections and added a rule to allow the browser. However Windows Defender Antivirus then cannot download antivirus updates. I've tried adding a rule to allow...
  4. Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender not updating on w8.1, Please suggest a free antivirus: My w8.1 Window updates have not been working for some 2-3 years, Automatic Maintenance has also not been working for the same duration, now Windows Defender has also started NOT updating virus definitions.I can manually download mpam-fe.exe and run to update that, but that is...
  5. defender antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    defender antivirus: do I have defender antivirus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-antivirus/033ca341-976c-444d-a07e-0a914293ce07
  6. free antivirus

free antivirus: Does any user recommend a free safe and effective virus scan and remover? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/free-antivirus/d94a80f9-b74b-4ff2-9bbe-5f54d6106b66
  7. Window defender antivirus update not updating

Window defender antivirus update not updating: Window defender antivirus update not updating https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-antivirus-update-not-updating/13902d0b-f830-443e-ab42-6c06fcba69ae
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus not Updating

Windows Defender Antivirus not Updating: Windows Defender Antivirus is not getting update and showing message of Virus and Spyware Definitions could not be installed. Please Provide me Suggestion.[ATTACH]...
  9. Antivirus - suggestions?

Antivirus - suggestions?: Hello. I want to disable Windows Defender as I have feeling it's eating a lot of my memory from using a lot of resources, or whatever, so I need to download some light free AV... do you have any recommendations? Maybe Bitdefender? Anyone using that AV here or at least tried...
  10. Can you suggest a free explorer, please?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you suggest a free explorer, please?!: I am looking for an explorer, which: 1. Allows to create favorites links. 2. Supports tab browsing. 3. It is updated regularly. SImple GUI and 64-bit would be nice, but that would be asking too much. I have looked over dozens of webpages, but I have not find...