Windows 10: Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine

Discus and support Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I built a brand new computer to replace the my current computer, which was also built by me. My goal is to transfer the Windows OS product key from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joshua Jacobson, Jun 1, 2024.

1. Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine

I built a brand new computer to replace the my current computer, which was also built by me. My goal is to transfer the Windows OS product key from my old machine to the new one. I originally bought the key through the Microsoft Store, and the key is attached to my Microsoft account along with both machines. I also have the key in an email receipt. I did refer to the Activation Article, but the step I'm missing is the "Freeing" of the key from the old hardware, so it can be activated on the new one. Both machines are up and running.My key is for Windows 10 Home, and recently I upgraded to Pro.

:)

Joshua Jacobson, Jun 1, 2024

2. Reusing upgrade key to Win10 Pro on a new machine

I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Pro (from Home) and then shortly after that it stopped working due to a corrupted drive. It was unrecoverable and I wasn't able to uninstall/deactivate Windows on this device. I bought a new device with a fresh version
    of Windows 10 Home, and I wanted to use the same key to upgrade, but when I attempted the upgrade on the new machine it told me the key was invalid. I assume this was because the old machine is still "using" the key. Is there a way to decommission non-usable
    machines or remotely deactivate product keys via a support request or some other means?

MarkLabrecque, Jun 1, 2024
  3. Robert_os Win User
    Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Jun 1, 2024
  4. kevvyb Win User

Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine

New machine, reinstallation and reactivation

Hi I posted about this subject generally quite some time ago and received excellent replies confirming that I can move this licence to a new machine. Now, I am just about, finally, ready to go ahead and transfer Win10 to new machine. Just checking I have this right before I do it. I bought a Win7 Pro standalone (retail) licence many moons ago. This has since upgraded to a digital Win 10 licence against a local account on my current machine. I think I now need to:
    • Create a new user account on my current machine that is logged into my Microsoft Account?
    • Do I need to uninstall/deactivate on the old machine?
    • Using a new Win10 ISO on DVD, if the USB flash drive won't boot, I presume I then install on Windows on the new machine.
    • What happens from here, do I log into my Microsoft Account on the new machine and/or run the activation troubleshooter? Or can I just wait to be prompted?
    Thanks in advance

kevvyb, Jun 1, 2024
Thema:

Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine

1. Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine - Similar Threads - Deactivating Pro Key

2. Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine: I built a brand new computer to replace the my current computer, which was also built by me. My goal is to transfer the Windows OS product key from my old machine to the new one. I originally bought the key through the Microsoft Store, and the key is attached to my Microsoft...
  3. Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deactivating a Windows 10 Pro Key from an Old Machine to Reactivate in a New Machine: I built a brand new computer to replace the my current computer, which was also built by me. My goal is to transfer the Windows OS product key from my old machine to the new one. I originally bought the key through the Microsoft Store, and the key is attached to my Microsoft...
  4. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.: i just purchased a new pc with windows 11 home. my old pc used windows 10 home that i upgraded with a digital license to pro. i can see the evidence of the pro upgrade in my windows account. how do i transfer the pro upgrade from my old windows 10 machine to my new windows 11...
  5. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.: i just purchased a new pc with windows 11 home. my old pc used windows 10 home that i upgraded with a digital license to pro. i can see the evidence of the pro upgrade in my windows account. how do i transfer the pro upgrade from my old windows 10 machine to my new windows 11...
  6. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new: I have an old laptop with W10 pro retail license. I want to move to a new PC to which I did a fresh download of W10 pro and have used it un-activated for a while. Now I want to upgrade to 11 but want to activate W10 on new computer and deactivate on old laptop before the...
  8. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new: I have an old laptop with W10 pro retail license. I want to move to a new PC to which I did a fresh download of W10 pro and have used it un-activated for a while. Now I want to upgrade to 11 but want to activate W10 on new computer and deactivate on old laptop before the...
  9. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. Forgot to "deactivate" Windows 10 pro key from old PC and reactivated on new PC. Anything I...

Forgot to "deactivate" Windows 10 pro key from old PC and reactivated on new PC. Anything I...: Did a upgrade but forgot to de-activate my product key, is there a way i can use the key with out having to buy a new one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-to-deactivate-windows-10-pro-key-from-old/571d1469-f275-45ff-9ebe-308aa99260e1