Windows 10: Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows...

Discus and support Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This issue has been going on for at least 2 years now. I have not seen any resolution from Microsoft on fixing this issue.What is the status of this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Medlakegirl, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows...

This issue has been going on for at least 2 years now. I have not seen any resolution from Microsoft on fixing this issue.What is the status of this bug fix? Is there ANY setting I can turn off to MAKE IT STOP?

:)

Medlakegirl, Jun 24, 2024

2. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows 11

Hi,

I am struggling with a new issue in File Explorer. I have recently updated to Windows 11, but I think this issue has started since this version update.

When I try to rename a file or folder in Windows file explorer, I am unable to place my cursor at a particular point in the filename - eg to insert some letters or numbers.

Instead, wherever I place my cursor, within a second, the whole file name has been selected, which means I start typing a new filename from scratch. This is different to how it has previously behaved, and very annoying.

A related issue - when I am renaming a file saving a file from within a program, a slightly different issue occurs. I put my cursor at the end of a filename, eg,to add a new version number to the filename, but the cursor jumps to the left - to the start of the filename.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

SallyPilkington, Jun 24, 2024
  3. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows 11

It's just when renaming files useing e.g. F2. I stopped DropBox, and OneDrive. However still it tampers with my selection of the file name so I can't rename parts of the file name. When I give it a NEW file name anyoing behaviour stops. So one way to work arround is to copy +c and copy +v. However that blocks me from pasting copied text into a certain position of the existing file name. I must admit: I never thought I'd be having issues renaming a file... what a time to live in... Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows... :)

SomeRandomUserName42, Jun 24, 2024
  4. manintan Win User

Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows...

Rename files make cursor position move left instead of to start

I have noticed in Windows 10 in file explorer if I highlight then hit F2 then press the left arrow key the cursor shoots to the start of the file name.

In Windows 7 in file explorer if I highlight a file and hit F2 then press the left arrow key, the cursor moves over one position from the end of the file name.

This has made renaming files very difficult and was much easier before.

1. Is this a windows 10 only issue?
    2. Is there anyway to enable the behavior in Windows 7 when renaming files?
    3. Is there a way to use a win 7 file explorer in windows 10 and if so does it use the cursor behavior when renaming like in windows 7 or win10?

manintan, Jun 24, 2024
Thema:

Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows...

1. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows... - Similar Threads - Cursor moves left

2. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows...: This issue has been going on for at least 2 years now. I have not seen any resolution from Microsoft on fixing this issue.What is the status of this bug fix? Is there ANY setting I can turn off to MAKE IT STOP?...
  3. while renaming a file the whole text is selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    while renaming a file the whole text is selected: This has been a problem for year, but i think it has gotten worse in windows 11.Select a file in OneDrive through file explorePress F2 to rename itDeselect the text and start typingNotice after a couple of keystokes the whole text is selected so the next keystoke will replace...
  4. while renaming a file the whole text is selected

while renaming a file the whole text is selected: This has been a problem for year, but i think it has gotten worse in windows 11.Select a file in OneDrive through file explorePress F2 to rename itDeselect the text and start typingNotice after a couple of keystokes the whole text is selected so the next keystoke will replace...
  5. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.: When I'm modifying file names, in the middle of typing, the Windows/explorer will autoselect all the names. For instance, when I'm deleting certain word, it will reselect all the names and then all will be deleted. This is so annoying.To make sure auto-reselecting is not...
  6. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.: When I'm modifying file names, in the middle of typing, the Windows/explorer will autoselect all the names. For instance, when I'm deleting certain word, it will reselect all the names and then all will be deleted. This is so annoying.To make sure auto-reselecting is not...
  7. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

8. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows 11: Hi,I am struggling with a new issue in File Explorer. I have recently updated to Windows 11, but I think this issue has started since this version update.When I try to rename a file or folder in Windows file explorer, I am unable to place my cursor at a particular point in...
  9. Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows 11

Cursor moves to left or selects all text when renaming files in windows explorer. Windows 11: Hi,I am struggling with a new issue in File Explorer. I have recently updated to Windows 11, but I think this issue has started since this version update.When I try to rename a file or folder in Windows file explorer, I am unable to place my cursor at a particular point in...
  10. Rename files make cursor position move left instead of to start

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename files make cursor position move left instead of to start: I have noticed in Windows 10 in file explorer if I highlight then hit F2 then press the left arrow key the cursor shoots to the start of the file name. In Windows 7 in file explorer if I highlight a file and hit F2 then press the left arrow key, the cursor moves over one...