Windows 10: Create files on C: root

Discus and support Create files on C: root in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by mescwb, Feb 9, 2024.

1. mescwb Win User

Create files on C: root

Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files only AND applied only to "objects / containers in this container" to avoid it be inherited down the volumei used users & auth users above just to simplify the exhibition of the perms, otherwise it would show custom permsand that's not working :/ although normal users can create folders in the C: root now, they still

:)

mescwb, Feb 9, 2024
  2. fussybob Win User

Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

fussybob, Feb 9, 2024
  3. Bree Win User
    Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

Creating files on the root of the C: drive shouldn't cause a problem for Windows, but it may be a problem for the app creating the file. The root of C: is protected and you'll get an 'administrator approval' popup if you try to manually create or save a file there. I'd create a subfolder on C: and use that.

Bree, Feb 9, 2024
  4. Create files on C: root

WINDOWS 10 SAVING A FILE TO THE C:\ ROOT DRIVE. ERROR MSG: 0x80070522

This is a security restriction. Instead of saving files to the root of C:, you first create a folder in the root of C:, then save your files there.

Frederik Long, Feb 9, 2024
Thema:

Create files on C: root

1. Create files on C: root - Similar Threads - Create files root

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?: I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-really-safe-to-create-a-folder-on-the-root/702fef91-ed3c-4eeb-8c1e-2bc4eaa259cc
  4. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?: I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-really-safe-to-create-a-folder-on-the-root/702fef91-ed3c-4eeb-8c1e-2bc4eaa259cc
  5. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Strange file in C:\ root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file in C:\ root?: Sorry for the asinine question but does anyone have any idea what this file is that's just appeared in the root of my C:\ drive? https://ibb.co/TMgVDzF submitted by /u/D3SOL4TE [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k39uqr/strange_file_in_c_root/
  7. Writing to the root ... C:\

Writing to the root ... C:\: Every time I turn around, I'm not able to save files to the root of C drive. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem once and for all time? I don't care that some people feel as though I shouldn't be writing there. I have times when I need to edit files there or I just...
  8. 5856 _patchlink????.cab files in root of C:

5856 _patchlink????.cab files in root of C:: Has anyone else seen anything like this? It looks like it has something to do with updates, but why didn't Microsoft clean up after itself? Bob https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/5856-patchlinkcab-files-in-root-of-c/183426db-0098-4fe7-99c1-1f672c7b72c6"
  9. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?: This is a bit of an odd one. I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in various project folders which is messy for a variety of reasons, not least having dozens of the same file exist. Placing the...
  10. Can't save file in C:\ root directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory: I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone....