Windows 10: CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility

Discus and support CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My CPU has been limiting to 1.2 GHz or 40% utilization even on low demand games like the older Call of Duty games. I turned on high performance mode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Yohann Susi, Sep 27, 2024 at 7:17 AM.

1. CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility

My CPU has been limiting to 1.2 GHz or 40% utilization even on low demand games like the older Call of Duty games. I turned on high performance mode for my laptop and i set core count in msconfig to the highest amount but sometimes it is still somehow limiting CPU Usage. It's very frustrating because i have to struggle with slow applications or long loading times. However my hardware may potentially be a factor to it but i find it very unlikely unless i am told if it is actually the reason.Hardware:Lenovo T430 with Intel i5 3rd Gen Mobile Processor8 GB RAMIf any of you have any solutions, i'm

:)

2. spetrov Win User

CPU frequency locks at 0.78 GHz

Hello,

My CPU get locks at 0.78 GHz and not going up or down. In the same time when CPU is locked at 0.78 GHz,

laptops fans runs fast (noisy) but the coming air is not even hot.

I have found a tool named Intel(R) Extreme tuning utility to use it as monitor of "what's going on with my system",

i'm not overclocking or changing something in CPU.

Tuning utility shows value of "Thermal Throttling" as 100% i think this is the reason why CPU stays at 0.78 GHz, it get down step because of this thermal throttling.

CPU package and core temperature is normal around 40c .

All this information is visible into this picture:

CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility 0e05a760-5e71-41dd-a028-42165b6d17f2.png

With random combination of reboots, shutdown unplug power and plug power CPU gets frequency stepping again

Thermal Throttling is becoming zero and fans stop... and everything goes normal.

Can someone explain what is connection between Windows (10) OS and CPU freq. stepping.

I think there is some connection because of available options in power plan settings, there is options Processor power management

that can control CPU min and max freq. state, but i'm not pretty sure is it related to "Thermal Throttling".

3. Harryv98 Win User
    Windows 10 CPU frequency is locking at 0.78 Ghz

Hello,

I am facing with the CPU frequency where it locks at 0.78 GHz when I run any software or game on my laptop, I followed

this
    thread but it didn't help me.

I also read about a similar issue
    here
    , but couldn't follow it up as I am not part of the Windows Insider Program.

Can anyone please suggest any solution regarding this issue??

4. sbrm1 Win User

CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility

Why the cpu frequency shows differently in Win10 task manager and system properties?

Your CPU is an 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300I CPU @ 1.90GHz' with '@ 1.90GHz' as a part of that name. Which means that the processor's base frequency1 of your CPU is 1.90 GHz. But here the CPU is telling the system that it's running at 2.63GHz.

For some other CPU's I would have said its overclocked, but your CPU model has a feature known as Turbo Boost2 which enables it to automatically overclock to a higher yet safe frequency based on certain conditions.

The Turbo Boost frequency for your CPU is 2.90 GHz, which means your CPU can attain that frequency under certain conditions but is currently running at 2.63GHz.

Also, Windows calculates the max frequency of your CPU to be 2.50GHz as different algorithms are used to measure processor speed. For example, the algorithm used by Intel in its branded maximum speed is different than the algorithm used by Task Manager to directly measure the speed of the CPU. You can use other processor utilities, such as the Intel Processor Identification Utility or CPU-Z, for additional processor speed measurements.

Also note that Hyper-V as well as VMware is reported to interfere with the clock speed calculation of Task Manager.

I'd stick with CPU-Z for measuring CPU frequency as it's calculation algorithm is much better.

Notes:

1. Processor Base Frequency describes the rate at which the processor's transistors open and close. The processor base frequency is the operating point where TDP is defined. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second.
    2. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Sources:

1. Redirecting
    2. Why is my CPU running faster than it's maximum speed?
    3. https://goo.gl/a9Ga3h
    4. https://goo.gl/FotxKq

Thema:

CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility

1. CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility - Similar Threads - CPU Frequency limiting

2. CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU Frequency limiting at 1.2 GHz or 40% utility: My CPU has been limiting to 1.2 GHz or 40% utilization even on low demand games like the older Call of Duty games. I turned on high performance mode for my laptop and i set core count in msconfig to the highest amount but sometimes it is still somehow limiting CPU Usage. It's...
  3. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  4. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  5. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

6. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  7. Windows 10 CPU frequency is locking at 0.78 Ghz

Windows 10 CPU frequency is locking at 0.78 Ghz: Hello, I am facing with the CPU frequency where it locks at 0.78 GHz when I run any software or game on my laptop, I followedthis thread but it didn't help me. I also read about a similar issue here, but couldn't follow it up as I am not part of the Windows Insider...
  8. CPU stuck at 1GHz, Utilization >40%

CPU stuck at 1GHz, Utilization >40%: I've recently got a sudden performance drop for my PC, I turned on throttlestop and saw it was only running at 1000MHz max. The stats of throttlestop show that my max power is 3.3W and I think that is a problem. The temperature has dropped to <50 degrees on my cpu. I run on...
  9. Windows limits my CPU frequency

Windows limits my CPU frequency: Hello, After an update my processor cannot run higher than 1,5Ghz. I've tried resetting CPU and cache voltages and multipliers, that worked for 10 seconds and then the CPU returned to 62% load at 1.49Ghz again. The base frequency displayed at the task manager is 2.4. How can...
  10. Cpu going .40-.50 ghz at 20 percent cpu!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cpu going .40-.50 ghz at 20 percent cpu!: Yesterday I just resetted my laptop and I've been experiencing some problems when I play a game my cpu goes 2.6ghz then randomly out of no where it goes .40ghz or .50 the worse part is the percentage of my cpu is only 20-40 no programs making it high or anything, I'm not...