Windows 10: Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games

Discus and support Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For example, I can play chivalry 2 and fallout 4 easily. But when its games like total War Hammer 3 and Hell let loose, it crashes when loading. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jake Miller3, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games

For example, I can play chivalry 2 and fallout 4 easily. But when its games like total War Hammer 3 and Hell let loose, it crashes when loading. I think it may be a graphics card issue. Here are the errors: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 1/22/2023 6:10:47 PM Event ID: 161 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: JakesDesktop Description: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. Event Xml: http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> 161 0 2 0 0

:)

Jake Miller3, Jan 22, 2023
  2. RimorVV Win User

Computer fully freezes while I play certain games and only on certain games.

My computer freezes when I play certain games and these games aren't heavy on the CPU or the GPU. The temperature of both of them is always normal while I play these games as they aren't demanding at all. For example one of the games that the crashes occur on is The Escapists 2 which is not a game that would usually make a computer freeze and I know that my computer is at fault as these freezes very rarely but sometimes would occur without any reason or game. I have replaced my power supply which didn't help and I have performed scans through the command prompt and sometimes it would repair corrupted files but it would not fix my problem. I have also performed a lot of the actions that are recommended like updating my drivers and having all background programs closed however the freezing would still occur. I really want to fix this problem and I will cooperate with anyone that is willing to help. Thank you.

RimorVV, Jan 22, 2023
  3. Nitrome Win User
    Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps

Hello

A few weeks ago my computer started completely freezing. When those freezes occur the computer is totally unresponsive and requires a reboot, however they only happen when running certain programs.

Windows Version number : 1903
    When does it happen?
    • Playing youtube videos (takes a few minutes to freeze on average)
    • Starting certain games (freezes on startup)
    • Answering discord calls
    And i discover new sources all the time so i doubt this is a complete list.

What did i try so far?
    • Updating the drivers (didn't try to update the BIOS yet but reset it to default)
    • Sfc / chkdsk
    • OCCT (both CPU and GPU test, neither overheated/froze the computer)
    • memtest x86 (4 passes 6 hours, no errors)
    • Swapping GPU (RX-480)

By this point i was a bit lost so i tried using windows event viewer to no avail.

As a last attempt i tried to install windows on a new harddrive but the computer froze during installation.

I'm completely lost and don't know whether my hardware is failing or if it's some kind of software issue.

Nitrome, Jan 22, 2023
  4. Yeast™ Win User

Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games

My computer crashes when playing certain games

Hi!

When i play certain games (Tails of Iron, Yakuza 0, The Division 2, etc.) after a set amount of time (tends to fall between 10 and 30 minutes after launching the game) all screens go to black, 1 point of the sound plays continuously for about a second and my computer completely restarts without shutting off (aka every hardware part keeps going, but the OS restarts). I have no clue why this is happening, my I.T. and programming teachers suggested that it might be my motherboard, but i haven't checked yet and my annoyance is starting to grow even more. Does anibody have ani suggestions or tips that could help me, or is there anyone with the same or a similar situation?

Thank you in advance.

Yeast™, Jan 22, 2023
Thema:

Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games

1. Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games - Similar Threads - Computer freeze shut

2. My laptop shuts down while playing certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop shuts down while playing certain games: I'm using a 4 year old gaming laptop without batteries because it died. When I play specific games like Rainbow 6 Siege or Mount and Blade Bannerlord my laptop shuts down completely. But when I play Monster Hunter World I think it's a more demanding game than R6S and M&B it...
  3. My laptop shuts down while playing certain games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop shuts down while playing certain games: I'm using a 4 year old gaming laptop without batteries because it died. When I play specific games like Rainbow 6 Siege or Mount and Blade Bannerlord my laptop shuts down completely. But when I play Monster Hunter World I think it's a more demanding game than R6S and M&B it...
  4. Computer BSOD when playing certain games

Computer BSOD when playing certain games: When playing certain games my computer will at, seemingly random, times bluescreen with the message Machine Check Exception; and I say random because the time in between crashes have varied from a few minutes to 70+ hours of in-game time. I have tried various possible fixes...
  5. Computer BSOD when playing certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer BSOD when playing certain games: When playing games sometimes, such as Fortnite, Valorant, Cyberpunk 2077, or Apex Legends, my PC will often bluescreen upon opening the game or going into a lobby. I am unsure the cause of this and cannot figure it out, but made a post about it before that did not get a reply...
  6. Computer BSOD when playing certain games

Computer BSOD when playing certain games: When playing games sometimes, such as Fortnite, Valorant, Cyberpunk 2077, or Apex Legends, my PC will often bluescreen upon opening the game or going into a lobby. I am unsure the cause of this and cannot figure it out, but made a post about it before that did not get a reply...
  7. Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer will freeze and shut down when playing certain games: For example, I can play chivalry 2 and fallout 4 easily. But when its games like total War Hammer 3 and Hell let loose, it crashes when loading. I think it may be a graphics card issue. Here are the errors: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 1/22/2023 6:10:47 PM Event ID:...
  8. Windows 11 PC freezes/shuts down when playing games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC freezes/shuts down when playing games.: Hello, I'm having problems with my pc. When i run games like Fallout 4, COD 4 MW Remastered, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: YoungBlood, my computer locks up then reboots. I've already tried disabling Game dvr/Xbox dvr. I've updated my graphics driver, my OS, Windows...
  9. Windows 11 PC freezes/shuts down when playing games.

Windows 11 PC freezes/shuts down when playing games.: Hello, I'm having problems with my pc. When i run games like Fallout 4, COD 4 MW Remastered, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: YoungBlood, my computer locks up then reboots. I've already tried disabling Game dvr/Xbox dvr. I've updated my graphics driver, my OS, Windows...
  10. Computer Freezes when playing games and when not playing games

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Freezes when playing games and when not playing games: I've been having this issue for nearly a year now (probably around 9 months). It started after my little sister made me get a virus by her trying to download something onto my laptop. I've since taken it to a reputable computer shop as well as followed instructions from other...