Windows 10: computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

Discus and support computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just got my fans replaced and I went on my PC to play some games. Everytime I open a game and let it run for a couple of minutes, my whole computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Silverinkk, Nov 10, 2022.

1. computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

I just got my fans replaced and I went on my PC to play some games. Everytime I open a game and let it run for a couple of minutes, my whole computer turns off. I updated NVIDIA too. My battery even though plugged in, has an x on it and it doesnt show up on the bar either.

:)

Silverinkk, Nov 10, 2022
  2. SSShadii Win User

Computer shuts down randomly and power button doesn't work

My computer shuts down randomly, after which the power button doesn't work. In order for me to turn it back on, I have to turn off the PSU and then back on. Then the button works. Any ideas why it would do this?

I assumed there might be a short, causing a button press, but why would the button require a PSU reset to work again? Is there some safety feature that prevents the button from working if it is pressed for too long?

Computer Specs:
    Windows 10, 21H1
    Motherboard: ASUS X570-P
    Processor: Ryzen 5 3600X
    Case: NXZT H510

SSShadii, Nov 10, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 10, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

Computer shuts down randomly and power button doesn't work

The power button's function is interpreted by the BIOS and by circuitry in the PC. It's not as simple as switching a light on and off.

It's a multifunctional button- what actually happens, and how the computer responds to it depends on what state the computer is in. (Running, sleeping, powered off, hibernating...)

The answers here give a starter:
    What Exactly Happens When You Turn On Your Computer?
    What happens when you press the power button on your PC? - Quora

Suggests a problem on your MOBO - or possibly your PSU.

dalchina, Nov 10, 2022
Thema:

computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

1. computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking? - Similar Threads - computer randomly shutting

2. Computer randomly shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly shut down.: Hello. I was playing Beyond Blue, on a PC I just recently installed a RX 580 in, and the computer just randomly shut down. I'm trying to figure out why it happened. I'm wondering if the 450 watt PSU isn't enough. I'm using:Intel Core i7-670016GB DDR3-1600 RAMRX 580Event...
  3. Computer "randomly" shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer "randomly" shut down: Hello, I have a problem for few days with my computer.When I start it, there a two cases- Sometimes it boots correctly and let me few minutes on the desktop or doing some tasks before shutting down. The screen does not go blue no blue screen of death or classic shut down blue...
  4. computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?: I just got my fans replaced and I went on my PC to play some games. Everytime I open a game and let it run for a couple of minutes, my whole computer turns off. I updated NVIDIA too. My battery even though plugged in, has an x on it and it doesnt show up on the bar either....
  5. Computer shutting down randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer shutting down randomly: For the past month my Surface Pro 6 has been shutting down randomly. I've tried everything I could find but nothing works.I recently checked event viewer and found thisThe process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe <Computername> has initiated the power off of computer...
  6. COMPUTER RANDOMLY SHUTS DOWN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    COMPUTER RANDOMLY SHUTS DOWN: My computer has been randomly shutting down for about a month or so. Sometimes it's days in between the shut downs and sometimes it can be a couple times a day. I have listed the CRITICAL error below. I have replaced a drive that I thought was problematic but that didn't stop...
  7. Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats: #1 So I have fixed all the problems I have encountered with my pc for the past 7 ish years, browsing through forums, hit and miss etc. but this is the first time I am posting to publicly ask for help. I've never encountered this and cant find it anywhere. I have a pc that...
  8. Power then Shut down Buttons

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  9. Computer Shuts Down Randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Shuts Down Randomly: So, my friend was playing an online game (Howrse.com), and this has happened to her several times. It never happens to me while i'm on my computer. I don't play games on my computer. My computer will just shut down randomly. The monitors will go black, but the PC never...
  10. Power Light blinks before Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Light blinks before Shutting Down: When I sign out of my user profile on my 2 Acer laptops and then click shut down, the computer goes black indicating that it is shutting down. However, the power light blinks until it shuts down completely. I don't know if it's a hardware issue or what but when hibernation is...