Windows 10: Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X

Discus and support Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, In our office we have a computer drive that we are all mapped to. We need to be mapped and connected to it in order to do our work. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by shannsull246, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X

Hello all,

In our office we have a computer drive that we are all mapped to. We need to be mapped and connected to it in order to do our work. When I restart my computer or leave it overnight and come back, the network drive looks like this:

Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X 5876f046-de0c-4132-ab82-6451bfec1b03?upload=true.png

When I click on the SD Server, the computer tries to connect but then this message pops up:

Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X 4d973ee9-9c5e-45a0-b873-b2d656b64433?upload=true.png

I can't seem to find a solution. I found one that worked for a while for some of our computers. Here is what we tried:

Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X 1d8a9a6a-07a9-4cb8-87d1-61fab468affd?upload=true.png

This one doesn't work anymore. Does anyone here know of any other solutions? Unfortunately I am not very tech savvy and am not sure what to do.

Thank you!

:)

shannsull246, Aug 13, 2018

2. Red X on mapped network drives.

Hello!

We have the problem of a red X (not connected) on the mapped network drives.

In our office we are running 3 Windows 10 Machines daily and a Windows Server 2012 Standard Server.

In 95% of boots (not reboots) all mapped network drives are marked as not connected (red X) and when we double click

on the drives, the connection works fine (opens share normally).

One Windows machine has its Outlook *.pst file on the network.

When this machine boots up and the network drives are shown as disconnected, Outlook can't find the *.pst file.

We have to double click the drive to establish a connection and then it can locate the file.

My question now is:

How do we finally fix the red X issue?

I tried syncing a test file on the network but on one machine, this made it even worse.

To me it seems like the problem is Windows trying to establish all connections even when the user is not logged

in and can not establish a connection then.

A screenshot of the drives: https://i.imgur.com/lKheko9.png

Thank you in advance, if you need any more information I will provide that!

Best regards

Thomas

TomSerious, Aug 13, 2018
  3. all my network drives have red X's

Hi Christophe,

The red "X" icon that shows on your network drives indicates that your network devices are not connected. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you made any changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • Are you getting any error messages when accessing the drives?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you performed to resolve your concern?
    • Could you attach related screenshots on your next post to help us understand the situation better.

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Aug 13, 2018
  4. Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X

TomSerious, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X

1. Computer not connecting to mapped network drives - also shows red X - Similar Threads - Computer connecting mapped

2. Map Drive not showing on network computers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map Drive not showing on network computers.: Hi,I'm trying to add a mapped drive on a pc that we are using as a basic file server. The pc already has shared folders which are accessible from all pc's without issue. The only reason we require the mapped drive is that one item of software is having issues without...
  3. Map Drive not showing on network computers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Map Drive not showing on network computers.: Hi,I'm trying to add a mapped drive on a pc that we are using as a basic file server. The pc already has shared folders which are accessible from all pc's without issue. The only reason we require the mapped drive is that one item of software is having issues without...
  4. Map Drive not showing on network computers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. "Map network drive" button not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Map network drive" button not showing: I want to add a network drive. So I open Windows Explorer, click "This PC" and "the three dots".But I see no option for adding a drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/map-network-drive-button-not-showing/1dd7d87b-033f-4c89-afef-4f46a7187b78
  6. "Map network drive" button not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Map network drive" button not showing: I want to add a network drive. So I open Windows Explorer, click "This PC" and "the three dots".But I see no option for adding a drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/map-network-drive-button-not-showing/1dd7d87b-033f-4c89-afef-4f46a7187b78
  7. Red X on Bluetooth Network Connection

Red X on Bluetooth Network Connection: I have scoured the internet for an answer to no avail. For a while now, my Bluetooth Network occasionally refused to identify devices. A simple, although pain in the butt from time to time, solution was to reboot. Sometimes it would require 2 or 3 reboots before the...
  8. In the whole environment included servers and client machines mapped drive is showing RED X...

In the whole environment included servers and client machines mapped drive is showing RED X...: In the whole environment included servers and client machines mapped drive is showing RES X however the drive is accessible. It is happening just from two weeks ago, Is this is related to patch issue? I want to know the root cause of this issue as well as the fix for this...
  9. Red x on network icon

Red x on network icon: This is Vista question, but I usually get better results here. The network icon on my wife's desktop has a red X on it. I right clicked and it ran some kind of diagnostics and supposedly sent a message to MS, who I'll never hear from, I'm sure. My desktop is fine...no red x...
  10. Mapped drives show disconnected red x on most boots

Mapped drives show disconnected red x on most boots: I have three NAS drives and have them mapped as X Y and Z on both our machines. On one machine two of these mapped drives often show as red x disconnected on every boot. I just have to click on them to make them connected. But I wonder how to get around this slight annoyance....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer not connecting home drive and red x on other mapped drives

2. network computer not mapped

3. computer not connecting to mapped network drive