Windows 10: Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I'm glad it could help Ted. *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Neophile, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

I'm glad it could help Ted. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2016
  2. zephyrus Win User

Right on. Fixed via Avast option.

zephyrus, Apr 4, 2016
  3. ... Those tricky registry tweaks ! Com'on Brink. You're from outer space, aren't u ? Gallatic Thanks.

netkingcool, May 31, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help.

I can neither confirm or deny that I'm from outer space. *Zip *Wink

Brink, May 31, 2016
  5. Thanks for the guide, but I had trouble with system files, until I have somehow managed to do this:

Code: icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r AdministratorsChange Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 :(OI)(CI)F /t /c[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Oct 28, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 28, 2016
  7. Yes I was using that guide as well *Wink , but I wanted to automate the process, since Windows Updates recreates some files.

TairikuOkami, Oct 28, 2016
  8. Sara Win User

hey there, I have a situation. Trying to access as Administrator some recently blocked folders (e.g. Documents and Settings, etc) I thought that is a good idea to change the permission of the Drive C:\ switching from Trustedinstaller to current username (admin as well). Now, I've read about the possibility to receive some errors and wanted to switch back using a restore point but the applied setting is still there no Trustedinstaller back.

I think that I am able to do that manually but my questions are:
    - What is the default user rights setting for C:\ drive in Win10? Will be enough to switch back the Trustedinstaller owner without adding it in Permission entries field and giving the full permission?

- Reverting back to the Trustedinstaller should I check the "Replace owner on the subcontainers and objects" and "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" options?
    Thanks,

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sara, *Smile

Yeah, it's never a good idea to change the owner and permissions of the entire Windows drive like that.

If you are not having any issues, then I would recommend to not do anything else to avoid possibly causing an access issue.

Brink, Apr 8, 2017
  10. Sara Win User
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 8, 2017
  12. Sara Win User
    @Brink one more question please *Smile
    A system restore usually should repair the eventually damage ?
    I've found an old restore point, I've use it and everything is looking pretty fine now if I am looking at the different folder owners including C:\.

Could be this a efficient solution?
    Thanks,

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

That should undo it nicely for you. *Smile

Brink, Apr 8, 2017
  14. Sara Win User
    oops , some of the entries are listed twice is that ok?

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I have the same entries on my system for the "C:\Windows" folder, so they appear to be default.

Brink, Apr 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Owner File

2. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  3. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  4. Changing "owner" of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing "owner" of Windows 10: I am gifting an older laptop to a relative. I have reformatted the hard drive and set up Windows 10 with my own MS account so that I could install a newly-purchased copy of Office, and some Norton security software as part of the gift.I need to learn how to instruct the...
  5. Changing "owner" of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing "owner" of Windows 10: I am gifting an older laptop to a relative. I have reformatted the hard drive and set up Windows 10 with my own MS account so that I could install a newly-purchased copy of Office, and some Norton security software as part of the gift.I need to learn how to instruct the...
  6. Changing "owner" of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. File owner changes

in Windows 10 Support
    File owner changes: I backup my files to a USB on another PC and the owner changes to a long string (S-1-5-21-2070691468-2192114673-407588093-1001) - what's going on??? 175144
  8. windows defender registry key change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender registry key change: hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend then change start key from 4 to 2, it still unable to change the key? any idea?...
  9. Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry: Hello, the question is according to Windows 10 x64. I was trying to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection and uninstaller shows an error - access denied to registry. I was trying to change permission manually in registry with Admin account, but no luck. Still error -...
  10. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...: I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram. I've had a couple of unexpected shutdowns and restarts lately. I've got several different error types in my event log. The only one showing to be "critical" is the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 for drive mediatype registry keys