Windows 10: Change Color of Inactive Title Bar in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Color of Inactive Title Bar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Has anyone got this to work with the AeroLite theme? It works fine with the default theme, but with AeroLite the colour of inactive windows won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by OldMike65, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Change Color of Inactive Title Bar in Windows 10

AeroLite doesn't need it, as it colors the title bars already. It also uses it's own theme engine.

Cliff S, Feb 20, 2016
  2. MJ9797 Win User

Using the AeroLite theme in Windows 8 the colour of inactive windows is adjusted to make it easy to see which window has focus:

Change Color of Inactive Title Bar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

With AeroLite on Windows 10 the title bar of inactive windows is the same colour as the title bar of active windows, so it's not immediately obvious which has focus:

It would therefore be good if you could adjust the colour of inactive windows' title bars so it worked like Windows 8. I was hoping this setting would solve the problem, but it looks like a no go.

If it's not possible I'll probably have to switch to the default theme, though I don't really like that either. I'm not liking Windows 10 in general as it seems to suffer from a complete lack of customisation options. Windows seems to lose more and more customisation options with each release *Sad

MJ9797, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Feb 20, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Seems with the default Windows theme only in Build 14271, you can make 'AccentColor' and 'AccentColorInactive' a desired color but still maintain your accent color.
    (Changed both bars to grey, accent color is still gold; sticks after restart, cold boot. etc.)
    (Click image 2 or 3 times to get a closer look)

Edwin, Feb 28, 2016
  5. Hello,

I have one problem after making some customization in registry. I made some gray customization and it's almost done, but there is a bright grey background box behind fonts on inactive programs windows.

Here is example:

It works perfect on explorer window (no bright gray box behind font):

Do you know how can i fix it?

popielasty, Aug 15, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    @popielasty sorry this is something that cannot be changed, unless you use either High contrast, or 3rd party patching tools which I cannot recommend on Windows 10. Windows 7 & 8 knock your socks off, but on Windows 10 it will nuke your system when uninstalling the patcher.
    Here are a couple of AeroHybrid themes I made, as you can see, the inactive text, always lightens to gray.

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2016
  7. @Cliff S, I tried some theme from this site -> Use Windows 10 with a Full Dark Theme on my other PC.

The result is:

Main diference is, that on my PC I didn't make any changes in registry, only applied this theme...

Maybe I broke something on my laptop in registry and now i can't fix it by theme?

When I applied this theme on my laptop it result in this:

On my laptop I also used few time Winaero Tweaker - it could do some mess?

popielasty, Aug 15, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Like I said above, that's how it is supposed to be, and cannot be changed with a few tweaks. You didn't break anything*Smile

Cliff S, Aug 16, 2016
  9. Today I applied updates on my WIN10PRO, now I have build 1607 which fix everything I was complaining about *Smile Main color of title bar can be choose from personalize menu, inactive title bar color can be set by modifying windows registry (AccentColorInactive - like in advice on first page)

popielasty, Aug 18, 2016
  10. shamal Win User
    I am new to Win 10, it's installed and working great. I don't have the registry settings talked about in this thread.

My Color personalisation choices are different as well, I am missing 2 selections.. Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thank You.

shamal, Jan 23, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello shamal, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The registry key and value is not in the registry by default. You'll just need to add them as per the note box under the step though.

Brink, Jan 24, 2017
  12. shamal Win User
    Thank you, I did and there was no change to the color. Is there anyone I can ask about the missing options in the colours set up menu?
    I appreciate your reply.

shamal, Jan 24, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Shamal,

Please go ahead and post a screenshot showing your setting in the registry for this, and for what color you wanted. I'll take a look to see if anything may stand out.

After setting the registry, you should only need to click/tap on another window to have the inactive windows change to the color you set in the registry.

It looks like you have an older build of Windows 10 installed. Updating the latest 14393.693 build via Windows Update will add the other options for Colors in Settings.

Brink, Jan 24, 2017
  14. shamal Win User
    Thank you, I installed from the Windows disk I purchased, did not know it was not updating the version, there's been a lot of updating going on since loading the machine on the weekend. I will update first, then see where this goes.
    Thank you for your help.

shamal, Jan 24, 2017
  15. shamal Win User
    I discovered there were updates waiting to install, that were not proceeding. I used this solution to fix it from SOLVED: Windows 10 Won't Install or Download Updates - Appuals.com

I did not use the troubleshooter solution further up on that page. I found the startup type was set to manual, reset to auto, everything else was normal. The updates started immediately after reboot. I will report back after on colour issue in windows title bars. Getting the monster Anniversary download now.
    Thank you for the help.

shamal, Jan 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Color of Inactive Title Bar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Color Inactive

2. Firefox to use Windows 10 active/inactive title bar colors

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox to use Windows 10 active/inactive title bar colors: How do I go about forcing/telling Firefox to use the established Windows 10 active/inactive title bar colors. Is it done via chrome scripting... Need help... please be as detailed as possible. Randy Reist 162455
  3. How can I change the color of inactive title bar of the Windows' system programs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I change the color of inactive title bar of the Windows' system programs?: [ATTACH] I note that some of Windows native programs like cmd and regedit are with the inactive borders in white, even with the dark mode enabled. Only Windows Explorer and the Settings app title bars are in dark mode color. I suppose it should be in grey color, amiright?...
  4. Win 10: Unable to set inactive window Title Bar Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10: Unable to set inactive window Title Bar Color: I have followed (to the letter) Shawn's tutorial viz. the colorization of the various aspects of Windows 10. I have successfuly set the title bar of active windows, etc. to my deep blue; but have not been able to set the color (purple) of inactive windows title bars. Every...
  5. title bar color, windows 10

title bar color, windows 10: Is there any possibility to make active window title bar color exactly the same as the accent color, not darker? I am using "automatically pick an accent color from the background" on and dark mode. I would like brighter colors on active window title bar. Thank you....
  6. Now you can have COLORED INACTIVE TITLE BARS !

Now you can have COLORED INACTIVE TITLE BARS !: Hi all Here is how : Let's go into regedit ( launch run command and type "regedit" without quotes ) Now go to the following path : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM now you gonna create a new dword ( see screenshot ) named " AccentColorInactive...
  7. How change the Active and Inactive Title Bar Color the contrast mode

How change the Active and Inactive Title Bar Color the contrast mode: How to change the Active and Inactive Title Bar Color in Windows 10 when under the contrast mode ? 101339
  8. Colored Windows Title Bars

Colored Windows Title Bars: No Colored Windows Title Bars. I had this problem with my other computer. That computer had myriad of problems including the white title bar problem. To fix it I, (on the advise of someone on this forum), download a file. That fixed the problem. For all the...
  9. Change IE11 In Windows 10 Border/Title Bar Color

in Browsers and Email
    Change IE11 In Windows 10 Border/Title Bar Color: Hi Everyone, I performed a search in this forum for a method to change the border/title bar from white to a different color..at least for me, the white color is WAY to bright..and it is very distracting. Doing a search about it elsewhere on the web..didn't help, in fact most...
  10. Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Title Bar Text Color in Windows 10 Title bar text of open windows will have a separate color for active and inactive windows. An active window is the current open window you have selected. It's title...