Windows 10: catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

Discus and support catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Gettng this error while trying to rename the catroot2 folder step. net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver Ren... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KiranReddy0065, Mar 12, 2021.

1. catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

Gettng this error while trying to rename the catroot2 folder step.

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file... 633affdf-5e91-4f2e-81ec-3562cc693690?upload=true.png

:)

KiranReddy0065, Mar 12, 2021
  2. Booyaa6 Win User

Can't rename Catroot2 folder for fixing windows update error

Hello, I'm having problem updating the windows so i'm trying to fix it but now i'm stuck on the step which is renaming the folders.

It says "a duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found", i went and checked and realized there is a catroot2.old file already exist.. is this the reason that i can't rename the catroot2 folder? what should i do next?

Booyaa6, Mar 12, 2021
  3. WojtasRed Win User
    Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Mar 12, 2021
  4. TanJohn1 Win User

catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or rename)

Hello MS experts,

I hit a very strange problem when I tried to rename catroot2 folder (because windows update 1803 hits the problem time to time, cannot be installed).

as people suggested, i first turned off cryptsvc and window update service via command line or via services GUI interface. then i tried to rename catroot2 folder, it showed error message that other application still opened it, I was wondering who still occupied
    it. therefore, i checked cryptsvc again, it was turned on by himself automatically (status turned "Running"). I even tried to disable it completely, it still behaves like that, turned on automatically as long as I touched catroot2 folder (if i don't touch
    catroot2 folder, cryptsvc kept being turned off). I repeated stop and rename procedure many times without any luck.

any idea what happened and how to fix it?

many thanks

best regards

John

TanJohn1, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

1. catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file... - Similar Threads - catroot2 folder rename

2. The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer: Everytime I tried to delete some files an error is occurring showing above phrasePlease help me out with this annoying problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-or/250d0fe5-99ca-43a6-8288-30faad7049cd
  3. The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer: Everytime I tried to delete some files an error is occurring showing above phrasePlease help me out with this annoying problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-or/250d0fe5-99ca-43a6-8288-30faad7049cd
  4. The action can't be completed because the file or folder is open in windows explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program": When trying to rename catroot2, you get an error message that the folder is open in another program.I have actually solved this, but every time people ask this they get bad advice and the thread is locked. The problem is that Microsoft's official advice here is incorrect....
  6. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program": When trying to rename catroot2, you get an error message that the folder is open in another program.I have actually solved this, but every time people ask this they get bad advice and the thread is locked. The problem is that Microsoft's official advice here is incorrect....
  7. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  9. Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10: Hi Microsoft team. I have an issue with my laptop where I cannot rename files with cmd and in admin mode too. It gives me access denied i'm trying to change these files. Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2...
  10. the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it

in Windows 10 Support
    the action can't be completed because the folder a file in it: I am trying to rename a folder. I get the message below. [img] When I am doing this, I have closed all the files that were open. THe only thing I can think of is that there's still a file in that folder, in that instance of the program, that says...