Windows 10: Can't open windows terminal as administrator?

Discus and support Can't open windows terminal as administrator? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have admin rights, and I just installed Windows Terminal. However I can't open any shell as administrator. The prompt to ask for permissions appears,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pahus, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Pahus Win User

Can't open windows terminal as administrator?

I have admin rights, and I just installed Windows Terminal. However I can't open any shell as administrator. The prompt to ask for permissions appears, yet nothing happens. Similarly I tried to run wt.exe from an elevated PowerShell/cmd but it does nothing. Similarly I can't access WindowsApps folder where the installation is. Admin rights work for every other terminal.

:)

Pahus, Jul 4, 2023
  2. zebal Win User

Failure to run Windows terminal as Administrator

Hello and Merry Christmas!

I have standard user account on my system that I use for work, onto which I installed Windows terminal.
    Issue is I need to start terminal as Administrator, and when I do it I get following:

Can't open windows terminal as administrator? 355660d1640431283t-failure-run-windows-terminal-administrator-untitled.png

It starts fine to start it as normal (standard user).
    To attempt to resolve this problem I logged into my Administrator account and installed Windows terminal there, and it works to start it in Administrator account.

Then I tried again to start it in standard user account but I got the same error message box.
    Do you have any suggestions or solutions on how to solve this problem?

Btw. here is how I start the terminal:
    I pinned it to start menu and then right click -> more -> run as Administrator:

Can't open windows terminal as administrator? 355661d1640431822t-failure-run-windows-terminal-administrator-asdf.png

zebal, Jul 4, 2023
  3. Windows Terminal

You Probably Got This Error Here :

Can't open windows terminal as administrator? 376140d1664297304t-windows-terminal-erroro.png

You Need To Enable Touch And Keyboard Handwriting Service On To Fix This Problem
    To enable Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service, follow these steps:
    1. Press Win+R in combination to open the Run dialog box.
    2. In the empty field of the box, type Services.msc and hit the Enter key to open the Services (Local) editor.
    3. locate Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service entry under Name section.
    4. Now double click it
    5. Change The Startup Type To Automatic If It Not Already
    6. Then Click The Start Button Then Click Ok And Close The Window
    7. Now Relaunch Windows Terminal Your Problem Should Now Be Fixed
    btw if this worked for you ( click the thanks button down it helps me a lot ! )

Paper Luigi, Jul 4, 2023
  4. EnvioX Win User

Windows Terminal

yes that one

thankyou

EnvioX, Jul 4, 2023
Thema:

1. Can't open windows terminal as administrator? - Similar Threads - Can't open terminal

2. Can't open explorer and windows terminal not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open explorer and windows terminal not working: Hi!So when I try to open explorer, the program seems to freeze up immediately, and within 30 seconds, the program stops responding. Also when I try and run cmd from the run window, it opens cmd.exe and not the Windows terminal which it usually does. Also when I try to access...
  3. Can't open explorer and windows terminal not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open explorer and windows terminal not working: Hi!So when I try to open explorer, the program seems to freeze up immediately, and within 30 seconds, the program stops responding. Also when I try and run cmd from the run window, it opens cmd.exe and not the Windows terminal which it usually does. Also when I try to access...
  4. Windows Terminal: Administrator windows open as Command Prompt with the old style Windows...

Windows Terminal: Administrator windows open as Command Prompt with the old style Windows...: I have Windows 11 Insider Preview.The default terminal app is Windows Terminal, but when I start Command prompt as administrator, it opens in the Windows Console Host, and not in Windows Terminal. Can I fix this somehow so it opens in Windows Terminal?...
  5. Can't open windows terminal as administrator?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't open windows terminal as administrator?: I have admin rights, and I just installed Windows Terminal. However I can't open any shell as administrator. The prompt to ask for permissions appears, yet nothing happens. Similarly I tried to run wt.exe from an elevated PowerShell/cmd but it does nothing. Similarly I can't...
  6. Can't open windows terminal as administrator?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open windows terminal as administrator?: I have admin rights, and I just installed Windows Terminal. However I can't open any shell as administrator. The prompt to ask for permissions appears, yet nothing happens. Similarly I tried to run wt.exe from an elevated PowerShell/cmd but it does nothing. Similarly I can't...
  7. Windows 11 can't open Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't open Windows Terminal: After right click on the start button, then windows terminal, this is what it showsEdition Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 OS build 22000.527 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.527.0...
  8. Windows 11 can't open Windows Terminal

Windows 11 can't open Windows Terminal: After right click on the start button, then windows terminal, this is what it showsEdition Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 OS build 22000.527 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.527.0...
  9. How to open Windows Terminal as administrator in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to open Windows Terminal as administrator in Windows 11: [ATTACH]If you are using Windows 11 and want to open Windows Terminal as administrator, here is how you can do that. Here are four different methods to run or open Windows Terminal as an administrator in Windows 11. In Windows 10, Windows Terminal was an optional app that...
  10. How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator in the Context Menu: Windows Terminal lets you open Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc., in one window. If you want to add Open Windows Terminal as administrator option in the context menu, here is how you can do that. Although you can find the Open in Windows Terminal option in the context...