Windows 10: Can't free up space on C drive

Discus and support Can't free up space on C drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I am trying to free up space on my computer I have Windows 10 and tried transferring my files from 1T to a 5T and in the process, my C drive which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by A GIFT FROM NATURE, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Can't free up space on C drive

Hi I am trying to free up space on my computer I have Windows 10 and tried transferring my files from 1T to a 5T and in the process, my C drive which is a 500 GB IS DOWN TO 9% OF MEMORY NEED HELP TRANSFERRING TO 5T AND LEAVING ON LAPTOP WHAT IS NEEDED and transferring all my apps and downloads to my new 5T

:)

A GIFT FROM NATURE, Aug 26, 2024

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Aug 26, 2024
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CCan't free up space on C drive :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Aug 26, 2024
  4. Anwille Win User

Can't free up space on C drive

extend c drive storage space

Hi, I'm , an Independent Advisor.

Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that supports to increase partition size with its "Extend Volume" feature. However, the program has some limitations in increasing disk space:

- Extend Volume only works on NTFS and RAW partition. FAT32 and other file systems are not supported.

- The Extend Volume will grey out if there is no adjacent unallocated space behind the target partition.

So, the ways to increasing C drive with or without adjacent unallocated space are different. Open the Disk Management, and follow the right tutorials listed below to extend the local disk C drive on your own now:

#1. Increase C Drive Space with Adjacent Unallocated Space

Step 1. Right-click This PC/My Computer, click "Manage", select "Disk Management" under Storage.

Step 2. Locate and right-click on the local disk C drive, and choose "Extend Volume".

Step 3. Set and add more space to your system C drive and click "Next" to continue.

Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the process.

Note that if that unallocated space on your system disk is not behind the C drive, you can't extend C drive in Disk Management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further!

Anwille, Aug 26, 2024
Thema:

Can't free up space on C drive

1. Can't free up space on C drive - Similar Threads - Can't free space

2. Can't free up space on C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't free up space on C drive: Hi I am trying to free up space on my computer I have Windows 10 and tried transferring my files from 1T to a 5T and in the process, my C drive which is a 500 GB IS DOWN TO 9% OF MEMORY NEED HELP TRANSFERRING TO 5T AND LEAVING ON LAPTOP WHAT IS NEEDED and transferring all my...
  3. Can't free up space on C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't free up space on C drive: Hi I am trying to free up space on my computer I have Windows 10 and tried transferring my files from 1T to a 5T and in the process, my C drive which is a 500 GB IS DOWN TO 9% OF MEMORY NEED HELP TRANSFERRING TO 5T AND LEAVING ON LAPTOP WHAT IS NEEDED and transferring all my...
  4. Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links

Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links: My C: drive is a 106GB SSD and I'm running out of space. I found that a few files like appdata and program files were taking up a lot of space. I heard that you can use symbolic links to save some space. I read a bit online and was confused on how to do this. Would I copy the...
  5. Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links: My C: drive is a 106GB SSD and I'm running out of space. I found that a few files like appdata and program files were taking up a lot of space. I heard that you can use symbolic links to save some space. I read a bit online and was confused on how to do this. Would I copy the...
  6. Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Freeing space on C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing space on C drive: Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110 I am trying to free up space on my C drive which is a 500Gb SSD. I install all programs to my 2Tb HD. Windirstat tells me Tom Tom the sat nav takes up 153 Gb on my C drive. So I want to uninstall it. Windows said it was uninstalling it from...
  8. Freeing up space on C:

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing up space on C:: Is there a simple app that'll show what paths on C: contain all the data? My C: is 230GB and 192GB is used. 5GB is in C:\Users\Me\AppData. Can some (what?) be safely deleted? Thanks. Using Win 10.0.19041.964 180693
  9. Freeing up space on C:

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeing up space on C:: Is there a simple app that'll show what paths on C: contain all the data? My C: is 230GB and 192GB is used. 5GB is in C:\Users\Me\AppData. Can some (what?) be safely deleted? Thanks. Using Win 10.0.19041.964 180693
  10. Freeing up space on C Drive Windows 10

Freeing up space on C Drive Windows 10: I have tried Ccleaner. File scan. Storage Sense. Malware scan. Virus scan. Optimize c Drive. None of it worked all that well. I don't want to partition, etc. I am afraid I will mess it up. There was a simple solution I saw a while ago, but I can't seem to find in...