Windows 10: Can't format my external drive

Discus and support Can't format my external drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have 2 drives c and d d can't format but I need it to because its raw and unallocated I've tried chkdsk but it just says cannot open volume for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Burger Boi, Jul 1, 2024 at 4:52 PM.

1. Can't format my external drive

I have 2 drives c and d d can't format but I need it to because its raw and unallocated I've tried chkdsk but it just says cannot open volume for direct access and I've tried diskpart but it has the cyclic redundancy check error my c drive only has 64gb of storage so I need this 1tb.

:)

2. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 1, 2024 at 4:57 PM
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

4. Can't format my external drive

Formatting External hard drive.

1. Launch the Disk Manager with diskmgmt.msc
    2. Use right-clicks to delete all partitions on the external disk
    3. Create one or several new partitions
    4. Format them

Frederik Long, Jul 1, 2024 at 4:57 PM
Thema:

Can't format my external drive

1. Can't format my external drive - Similar Threads - Can't format external

2. Can't format my external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't format my external drive: I have 2 drives c and d d can't format but I need it to because its raw and unallocated I've tried chkdsk but it just says cannot open volume for direct access and I've tried diskpart but it has the cyclic redundancy check error my c drive only has 64gb of storage so I need...
  3. Can't format my external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format my external drive: I have 2 drives c and d d can't format but I need it to because its raw and unallocated I've tried chkdsk but it just says cannot open volume for direct access my c drive only has 64gb of storage so I need this 1tb....
  4. Can't format my external drive

Can't format my external drive: I have 2 drives c and d d can't format but I need it to because its raw and unallocated I've tried chkdsk but it just says cannot open volume for direct access my c drive only has 64gb of storage so I need this 1tb....
  5. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  6. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  7. Formatting an external drive

8. can't format my 1TB external

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't format my 1TB external: My Seagate 1TB external won't reformat. I put Macrium Reflect 7 on my computer because I need to change my hard drive. I tried cloning my computer. I plugged the external in and it erased all my data and changed the name to F:Reserve. When I try to open it, it says file...
  9. can't format external my passport

can't format external my passport: was using the 2TB version and was backing up with it and decided to just delete everything and use as a storage device (drive). Now I can't access it and when I try to format it will go all the way and then say unable to format. I did not use any password function when I was...
  10. Can't format external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...