Windows 10: Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy!

Discus and support Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. My motherboard died on me a few days ago. I ordered a new one and at first everything was fine. Unfortunately that one turned out to be faulty so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RazKoller, Jun 13, 2024.

1. RazKoller Win User

Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy!

Hi. My motherboard died on me a few days ago. I ordered a new one and at first everything was fine. Unfortunately that one turned out to be faulty so I returned it and got another one and now the hardware is fine, but windows won't recognise my copy as authentic. And nothing I do helps! Going to settings->activation I see this: Hitting Troubleshoot I get this: Clicking on I recently changed hardware on this device takes me to: Clicking on see other devices linked to your Microsoft Account is also completely useless: By the way, that is also false. The device was registered on Windows 11.

:)

RazKoller, Jun 13, 2024

2. Will I have to buy a Retail Windows 10 copy if i change my motherboard?

OEM copies of windows are tied to the motherboard, the license dies as soon as you change your motherboard.However a small hardware change like Hard disk swapping wouldn't make your license die.

So in short, Changing motherboard=Buy a new copy of Windows 10

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 13, 2024
  3. Graf Dyon Win User
    Can't activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hello,

I can't activate my windows 10 license after changing my motherboard.

The license I have is a Windows 7 Pro license, that got changed into a Windows 10 license, when the upgrade was free.

Steps I took previous to the motherboard change:

- I linked my Microsoft account with my device, so that my license is registered under my account (it showed up with my mail in the accounts section)

Now, with the new motherboard built in, I can't activate Windows 10 anymore.

I tried the support steps listed by the Microsoft helper (Activation -> Click Troubleshoot), but that did not work.

In the Activitation settings I get the error code: 0xC004F213

Does anybody know a solution for this, as I haven't found one so far.

Graf Dyon, Jun 13, 2024
  4. Juzar_Ali Win User

Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy!

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Jun 13, 2024
Thema:

1. Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy! - Similar Threads - Can't activate changing

2. Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows after changing motherboard - even after buying a new copy!: Hi. My motherboard died on me a few days ago. I ordered a new one and at first everything was fine. Unfortunately that one turned out to be faulty so I returned it and got another one and now the hardware is fine, but windows won't recognise my copy as authentic. And nothing...
  3. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  4. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  5. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard

Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard: I am getting told I need to activate windows, I go to settings and it says to click troubleshoot which I do, I get two options either "click here to buy new windows 10 key" or "I changed hardware recently" I click the latter which opens up a new window with a loading thing,...
  7. Can't activate windows after changing motherboard

Can't activate windows after changing motherboard: I want to be able to personalize as well as get rid of the watermark, and I have a genuine copy of windows, but I swapped my motherboard so it doesn't recognize that. Unfortunately, I no longer have my product key. When I click the troubleshoot button, select i changed...
  8. Can't activate windows after a motherboard + CPU change

Can't activate windows after a motherboard + CPU change: Hey, I recently upgraded my PC's motherboard and CPU, now windows is telling me to activate windows i bought a key somewhere between late 2017 to early 2018, whenever i try to troubleshoot in the settings, all i can select is my OLD motherboard device windows seems to see it...
  9. Windows 10 no longer activated after buying new motherboard

Windows 10 no longer activated after buying new motherboard: Hi, I recently had some weird fps drops precisely every one minute in every game on my pc and so I began testing my pc components. I swapped my gpu, tested my ssd (containing windows) on my brothers laptop, installed windows on another ssd and swapped it with mine, swapped...
  10. Can't activate after changing motherboard and CPU

Can't activate after changing motherboard and CPU: I bought new parts for my PC, including a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU. After putting everything in my new case, with the same 2 SSDs and graphics card from my previous prebuilt PC, Windows 10 won't activate, saying the product key is invalid and that it's linked to the...