Windows 10: Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

Discus and support Cannot type alt characters into Notepad in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jack Yan Jack Yan &, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter these now? Is there a setting that we can hit?

:)

Jack Yan Jack Yan &, Mar 16, 2022
  2. Try3 Win User
  3. jfniss Win User
    How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word, but other codes don't work. Is there a way to type '≠' from the keyboard in Win10?

jfniss, Mar 16, 2022
  4. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

Cannot type alt characters into Notepad [​IMG]

Slartybart, Mar 16, 2022
Thema:

Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

1. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad - Similar Threads - Cannot type alt

2. Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in: Hello everybody: whenever I try to enter an ASCII character when typing in Notepad, the character simply won't appear, for example, if I type "Alt+165" in order to place a "Ñ", or if I type "Alt+130" in order to place an "é", those characters won't appear in the text and...
  3. Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in: Hello everybody: whenever I try to enter an ASCII character when typing in Notepad, the character simply won't appear, for example, if I type "Alt+165" in order to place a "Ñ", or if I type "Alt+130" in order to place an "é", those characters won't appear in the text and...
  4. Alt + Num for special characters stop working in Notepad Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt + Num for special characters stop working in Notepad Windows 11: My new Windows 11 laptop was delivered last week, and I encountered a strange problem today. I was trying to type a German u-umlaut ü in Notepad, and nothing happened. After trying a few of the obvious things like shrinking and enlarging the window without success, I exited...
  5. Alt + Num for special characters stop working in Notepad Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt + Num for special characters stop working in Notepad Windows 11: My new Windows 11 laptop was delivered last week, and I encountered a strange problem today. I was trying to type a German u-umlaut ü in Notepad, and nothing happened. After trying a few of the obvious things like shrinking and enlarging the window without success, I exited...
  6. Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...: I am using Windows 10 version 21H2, 19044.1466 with keyboard set to English Canada — Canadian Multilingual Standard which should not matter in this case. Pressing NumLock and typing some combinations results in the wrong characters.Alt+0152 returns character SMALL TILDE...
  7. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  8. Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer: For the past few months when using the Windows Explorer File Manager after opening it I cannot type multiple characters to jump to the section of interest. Example: I open the Windows Explorer File Manager and go to my Documents folder R:\Libraries\Documents where I have...
  9. ALT Characters WON'T type

in Windows 10 Customization
    ALT Characters WON'T type: Hi, I am using a French keyboard (Dell SK-8165). The top numbers row has 12 keys. The firs left key has: #, \ and | characters The second key has: 1, ! and + and - characters The third key has: 2, " and @ characters The fourth key has: 3, / and £ characters The fifth...
  10. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters: This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is...