Windows 10: Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space

Discus and support Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am trying to shrink volume to install dual boot ubuntu, but I can't. There seems to be more than 200gb free space but it lets me shrink only 53mb. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Nisa Yılmaz, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space

I am trying to shrink volume to install dual boot ubuntu, but I can't. There seems to be more than 200gb free space but it lets me shrink only 53mb. I have already tried disabling hibernation, system protection and page file. After following this tutorial https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-disk-drive-is-not-shrink-beyond-the-point/b2108d53-fc52-420a-bf8c-33594372660c , available space decreased from 23 gb to 53 mb. Please helpI can't seem to add a picture to this post, here is the screenshot : https://imgur.com/a/kt26Y1z

:)

Nisa Yılmaz, Jan 14, 2023
  2. YashasHS Win User

Unable to shrink existing volume

Currently i have around 200GB of free space in my C Drive and i want to shrink this volume. But, when I try to do the same, The disk management tool restricts me from doing so, saying there are some unmovable files. How to solve this issue???

YashasHS, Jan 14, 2023
  3. tfd3 Win User
    Shrinking a volume

Thanks, Stefano. At your suggestion I did a Defragmentation on the drive I want to shrink. That took almost a day on a 1 TB drive. The drive is now 0% fragmented. But still I'm getting "wrong perameter" when I try to shrink the volume. Here's a screenshot
    of the dialog window for shrinking the drive:

The amount of space I last put in to shrink was 50012. Any idea why that didn't work?

Tom

4. Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Jan 14, 2023
Thema:

Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space

1. Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space - Similar Threads - Cannot shrink volume

2. No free space on diskpart..but it shows free volume space..on list volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No free space on diskpart..but it shows free volume space..on list volume: I want to create a partition to install windows 10..but on diskpart it shows only 1024kb free..again when i list volume it show 153 gb free volume space.now how do i create partition and install windows..because when i try to create partition..it says insufficient space ....
  3. No free space on diskpart..but it shows free volume space..on list volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No free space on diskpart..but it shows free volume space..on list volume: I want to create a partition to install windows 10..but on diskpart it shows only 1024kb free..again when i list volume it show 153 gb free volume space.now how do i create partition and install windows..because when i try to create partition..it says insufficient space ....
  4. No free space on diskpart..but it shows free volume space..on list volume

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume: I'm using Windows 10 2019 LTSC. I have a 119 GB drive Disk 0. On this drive there is: - system partition 260 BM - C 113 GB- some "unallocated" but protected space 5.68 GB.I want to shrink C by 64 GB Rightclick -> Shrink volume... with 65536 typed in. C Has only 49 GB on...
  6. Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume: I'm using Windows 10 2019 LTSC. I have a 119 GB drive Disk 0. On this drive there is: - system partition 260 BM - C 113 GB- some "unallocated" but protected space 5.68 GB.I want to shrink C by 64 GB Rightclick -> Shrink volume... with 65536 typed in. C Has only 49 GB on...
  7. Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space

Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space: I am trying to shrink volume to install dual boot ubuntu, but I can't. There seems to be more than 200gb free space but it lets me shrink only 53mb. I have already tried disabling hibernation, system protection and page file. After following this tutorial...
  8. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  9. Missing unallocated space after volume shrink

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing unallocated space after volume shrink: I went to the disk management tool to shrink my SSD on which my Win10 is installed. I typed in something like 70GB and pressed shrink, after that instead of the unallocated space to appear so I can create a new partition, it just disappeared.I tried "TestDisk", "SFC" and...
  10. Shrink volume not showing all available space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shrink volume not showing all available space: My 240gb SSD has 140gb of free space. But shrink volume will only allow 67gb, why does this happen? Edit: I just selected the "No paging file" option and it works now. submitted by /u/TheTomSawyer [link] [comments]...