Windows 10: Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup

Discus and support Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an external USB flash drive that contains the WindowsImageBackup file of my old laptop. I want to restore them on my new laptop. However, when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ruize Ma, Jul 23, 2024.

1. Ruize Ma Win User

Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup

I have an external USB flash drive that contains the WindowsImageBackup file of my old laptop. I want to restore them on my new laptop. However, when I tried to restore the image file using Advanced Startup, it shows: <To restore this computer Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery environment is currently running on. To continue with the restore shut down this computer and boost it from a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc and then try the restore again.>What should I do? Would appreciate any suggestions and advices :

:)

Ruize Ma, Jul 23, 2024

2. Win 10 WindowsImageBackup sub folder seems to have the incorrect time

Win 10 Home

Version 1703 with all available updates applied.

Control Panel \ Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

I have always thought the following represents the WindowsImageBackup folder structure.

WindowsImageBackup folder Structure (starting from root of drive)

• WindowsImageBackup
      • [Computer name]
        • Backup [date and time of backup]
          • A bunch of XML files
          • A bunch of .vhdx files
        • Catalog
          • BackupGlobalCatalog
          • GlobalCatalog
        • Logs
          • At least one .log file
        • SPPMetadataCache
          • At least one file with random letter/number combinations, separated by dashes, surrounded by {}’s
        • MediaId file
    In my case first sub folder (above) is not indicating any time that makes sense to me.

It DOES contain the correct date.

But not the time.

I created a new WindowsImageBackup folder structure earlier today at 3:00 pm Central.

But my folder ended up named "Backup 2017-08-21 195346"

Anyone know what the "195346" means ?

BTW, the date, time and zone are set correctly.

I'm so confused.

JustRayInWisconsin, Jul 23, 2024
  3. SIW2 Win User
    Restore from WindowsImageBackup

You could try the free (unregistered) version of diskgenius. It will tell you if there is somethimg wrong the virtual disk, otherwise, it will open and you can copy stuff out.

Compare Different Editions of DiskGenius

Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup 244303d1566644948t-restore-windowsimagebackup-diskgenius-open.jpg

Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup 244302d1566644948t-restore-windowsimagebackup-disk-genius-vhdx.jpg

Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup 244301d1566644948t-restore-windowsimagebackup-diskgenius-close.jpg

4. ccklau Win User

WindowsImageBackup does not backup .ost file?

Dear all,

I tried to restore my Windows 10 with Office 2010 from the WindowsImageBackup yesterday. I found that the Outlook needed to download my emails from the very beginning. My email size was 25G and all sat in my system drive. It would take 3 days to download
    everything as the Exchange server is not a local server. The actual size of the .ost file is around 50G.

I thought that the WindowsImageBackup would contain all the data including the large .ost file in my system drive! Questions here:

1. Is it true that the WindowsImageBackup does not back up the .ost file?

2. How can I do a full backup with WindowsImageBakcup?

Thanks and regards,

Ken

ccklau, Jul 23, 2024
Thema:

1. Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup - Similar Threads - Cannot restore files

2. Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot restore my files using WindowsImageBackup: I have an external USB flash drive that contains the WindowsImageBackup file of my old laptop. I want to restore them on my new laptop. However, when I tried to restore the image file using Advanced Startup, it shows: <To restore this computer Windows needs to format the...
  3. How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?: I am trying to Restore a Windows Image Backup, created with Win 8.1, to another external drive. I try going to the Advanced Storage and picking Backup/Restore Win 7. I then try to select the Image file to Restore. The list of Found Backups stays BLANK. If I click on Network...
  4. How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore from a Win 8.1 WindowsImageBackup file, using Win 11?: I am trying to Restore a Windows Image Backup, created with Win 8.1, to another external drive. I try going to the Advanced Storage and picking Backup/Restore Win 7. I then try to select the Image file to Restore. The list of Found Backups stays BLANK. If I click on Network...
  5. WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsImageBackup: I made a WindowsImageBackup of a new computer on a 128GB memory stick. I wanted to be sure that it was ok, so I tried to look into the files. I kept getting messages about files being corrupted. So, in a Command Prompt, I went into the relevant folder and there were two...
  6. Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password: How do I recover my lost System Password, please so that I can restore Windows 10 from WindowsImageBackup? 151690
  7. Restore from WindowsImageBackup

Restore from WindowsImageBackup: We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac! Recently, I removed Bootcamp to increase the size of the partition. I have done this satisfactorily and have reinstalled Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition....
  8. Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: Hello, I am trying to restore a WindowsImageBackup file that I had created before sending my laptop in to HP for repairs. I am running Windows 10 and the backup was created using Windows 10 as well on my external Seagate FreeAgent Go hard drive. I have tried restoring from...
  9. Using WindowsImageBackup with Windows 10

Using WindowsImageBackup with Windows 10: Hi all, I'm pulling my hair out over this. I want to use a system image to set up several laptops with the same image. In W7, this was easy: use a bootable USB, repair your computer, swap out the USB with your drive that contains the image, and restore. In W10, I'm...
  10. Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: My client's Win10 Pro computer died. Got a new Win10 Home Asus laptop. Trying to restore files from a WindowsSystemImage folder on his backup drive, but the Advanced Recovery tool doesn't recognize the external drive containing the ImageBackup folder. When I attempt to mount...