Windows 10: Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions

Discus and support Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; While trying to backup some firefox bookmarks a shortcut appeared on the desktop with a long name which appeared to be a combination of urls. It cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by seb-deepsky, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions

While trying to backup some firefox bookmarks a shortcut appeared on the desktop with a long name which appeared to be a combination of urls. It cannot be deleted or renamed and nothing appens on click. I have tried deleting it from the command line and in safe mode but neither work. Using Windows 11 21H2. Any other suggestions?The icon name isCannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions :pNe live http __localhost_astro_galleries_index.html SEBastro localhost http __localhost_astro.dev_galleries_index.html SEBastro.dev localhost http __sebastro.homeip.net_ SEBastro - LIVE http __localhost_astro.dev_galleries_Spectroscopy_html_PNspe

:)

seb-deepsky, Apr 20, 2023
  2. Try3 Win User

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Apr 20, 2023
  4. Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions

Delete auto suggestions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are wiling to delete Auto suggestion of previous search suggestions on Internet Explorer. I would suggest you to try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click on Tools (Ring) icon at the right top.
    • Click on the Advanced tab then scroll down to Enable Suggested Sites and uncheck the box to turn it off then click Ok.

Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions 451x569x3suggest.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.ovy3-RQK8e.png

• Close Internet Explorer and restart it and see if it brings any difference.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with the information required, current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 20, 2023
Thema:

Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions

1. Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions - Similar Threads - Cannot delete desktop

2. Cannot Delete Previously Downloaded Attachments

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Delete Previously Downloaded Attachments: These were sent to me as mail attachments that i downloaded - now I cannot delete them from my downloads - I've tried every 'delete' option and also deleted the email and removed the email from my trash There is no error message when i try to delete they just do nothing - I...
  3. Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete desktop icon - tried previous suggestions: While trying to backup some firefox bookmarks a shortcut appeared on the desktop with a long name which appeared to be a combination of urls. It cannot be deleted or renamed and nothing appens on click. I have tried deleting it from the command line and in safe mode but...
  4. Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 yesterday, but I cannot figure out how to remove these Library icons. There is no delete option when I right-click on them and nothing happens when I press delete on my keyboard.Also, there is no option to remove them under "Desktop...
  5. Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons

Cannot delete Library Desktop Icons: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 yesterday, but I cannot figure out how to remove these Library icons. There is no delete option when I right-click on them and nothing happens when I press delete on my keyboard.Also, there is no option to remove them under "Desktop...
  6. Cannot delete desktop icons

Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  7. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  8. Cannot delete desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete desktop icon: It is telling me that this file is open in system. I know where it came from, it was an invoice . I deleted the file days ago and now left an icon cannot delete. Googled and prefer not to download software. Thank you. Chuck 173287
  9. restore desktop icons positions to previous

in Windows 10 Customization
    restore desktop icons positions to previous: I set my Desktop icons in a personal way. Whenever I go to PCaccess to PC the icons moved to a different unwanted position. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-desktop-icons-positions-to-previous/21fb17d4-20a9-4228-a14a-27ce69e9a978
  10. Deleting Desktop Icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Desktop Icons.: I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop. saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon. I think I've found that if I right click and delete the...