Windows 10: Cannot change owner of folder

Discus and support Cannot change owner of folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tara Radić, Oct 14, 2023.

1. Cannot change owner of folder

Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and change it - it's like it's permanently stuck with System as it's owner. The tab says that I have access to see and modify the files administrators have that option. I have confirmed that I am an administrator. Thank you in advance.

:)

Tara Radić, Oct 14, 2023

2. Windows 10 is changing folder permissions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Are you facing this issue with particular folder or all the folders?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps & checks if the issue persists.

Method: 1

I suggest you to place your computer in clean boot to find if any third party applications conflicting.

Clean boot:

Please follow the link to perform a clean boot:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

Note: After you have finished clean boot, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart

Method: 2

Try taking ownership of the folder (and by "the" folder, I mean any one having an issue). If they are all in one folder, use that one. If it's all of them, start with C:\Users\(your username) and work from there.

To take ownership:

• Right-click the folder and go to Properties
    • In Properties, go to Security (tab) > Advanced (button at the bottom) > Owner (tab)
    • In the Owner tab, the current owner will be listed. Yours will likely say it's unknown but regardless, if it doesn't say your current username (and if the username is the same, just do it anyway), click Edit (button).
    • Under "Change owner to:" select your current account, check the box next to "Replace owner on sub containers and objects" and click OK. Depending on all that's under the folder, this may take a long time.
    After you are the current owner, you should be able to change permissions as you need.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue, if the issue persists do reply us we will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 14, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 14, 2023
  4. Brink Win User

Cannot change owner of folder

Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10  

Without changing the owner and permissions of the keys in steps 1 and 2, the .reg files will not be able to fully merge, and those keys will not be changed. Those keys are responsible for the folders showing in the navigation pane if you open the folder pinned to Quick access or Start list.

Brink, Oct 14, 2023
Thema:

Cannot change owner of folder

1. Cannot change owner of folder - Similar Threads - Cannot change owner

2. Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder: When I try to delete a folder, it says I need permission from [OWNER], but when I change the owner, it still says I need permission from the owner but it changes to whatever I changed the owner to. I’ve changed the owner to administrators and everyone, but it just doesn’t...
  3. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  4. Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8940 desktop and installed Windows version 20H2 on it. After copying the "Windows PowerShell" folder---because Windows wouldn't let me move the original---so that I could move the copy to a new user folder of my choice, I have the original...
  5. Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8940 desktop and installed Windows version 20H2 on it. After copying the "Windows PowerShell" folder---because Windows wouldn't let me move the original---so that I could move the copy to a new user folder of my choice, I have the original...
  6. WindowsApps Folder - Cannot change files despite being the owner and being logged in as Admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps Folder - Cannot change files despite being the owner and being logged in as Admin: Hi there, Since you locked the other thread before it was solved here it is again. I'm trying to gain write access to the WindowsApps folder. I am told you (microsoft) does not want us to edit this folder.. Well tough **** it is MY computer. So to anyone else looking...
  7. WindowsApps Folder - Cannot change files despite being the owner and being logged in as Admin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WindowsApps Folder - Cannot change files despite being the owner and being logged in as Admin: Hi there, I'm trying to gain write access to the WindowsApps folder. What I did: 1. Property -> Security -> Advanced. 2. Changed owner to my account that is currently logged on as admin. 3. Checked the box below "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". 4. Set all...
  8. Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed: Hi, I have a folder within my Documents folder where the ownership and inheritance keep changing, preventing me for editing files in that folder until I manually fix it. Most folders under Documents are owned by my Windows account (my Windows email address) and Inherit...
  9. Change of owner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change of owner: I have obtained a second-hand PC that runs windows 10. This has the original owner set-up as admin and a second person as 'user account' how do I delete these two accounts and install myself as 'admin' ( I will be the sole user) without altering other programs and settings?...
  10. change owners

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change owners: how do i change administrators and make this HP laptop running windows 10 that was givin to me mine ? my account etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-owners/21f8316d-80f4-482d-a744-709c18837e35"