Windows 10: can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.

Discus and support can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HP printer will not scan to my MSFT surface. I can print. Says printer "offline" or can't contact my computer. They won't help. Can you?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by guynoir03, Oct 2, 2023.

1. guynoir03 Win User

can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.

HP printer will not scan to my MSFT surface. I can print. Says printer "offline" or can't contact my computer. They won't help. Can you?

:)

guynoir03, Oct 2, 2023

2. hp scanner won't recognize hp computer

Hello PatrickHenderson1, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest you follow the steps down below as they may help you with your issue which was provided by HP support for Windows.

Step 1:

- Run the Print and Scan Doctor

-Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to automatically diagnose and resolve printer hardware and connection issues.

-After the Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Fix Scanning to test your scanner, and then follow any instructions to resolve the issue.

-Try to scan. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2:

-Uninstall and reinstall the printer software

-Resolve scan connection issues by uninstalling the printer software before reinstalling the latest driver.

-NOTE: Do not disconnect the printer from the network when uninstalling the software.

-Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, if necessary.

-In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

-Under Programs or Programs and Features, click Uninstall a program to open the list of installed programs.

-Click the HP printer name to open the uninstall confirmation window, and then click Yes to complete the software removal.

-Make sure the printer is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

-Go to 123.hp.com. This guided service automatically locates the correct print driver or app for your computer operating system version.

-Follow the instructions to download and install the driver or app. During the installation, select HP Smart or the full software option to get the most out of your HP printer, and then follow the steps to set up the printer connection.

Try to scan. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3:

-Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

-Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is a Windows service that helps communication between the computer and scanners. If WIA is not activated, scan jobs can fail.

-In Windows, search for and open View local services.

-In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

-Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

-If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

-Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

-If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

-If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server -Process Launcher is running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

-Try to scan. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 4:

- Troubleshoot the printer connection

-At this point, the printer is probably not connected to your network or computer. Troubleshoot your printer connection type.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06184808

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06184954

Hope these methods help.

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, Oct 2, 2023
  3. Printing / Scanning using HP Office Jet Pro 8600.

Hello,

I have a Microsoft Surface operating on Windows 10 and also a HP Office Jet Pro 8600 --- combined fax/scanner/printer/copier.

I have the Surface connected to the HP unit both via wi-fi and also "hard wired" via a USB cable.

When I print using the hard-wired connection, the print job starts as soon as I click "print".

However, when I print using the wi-fi connection, there is a waiting period after I click "print" for the print job to begin.

Is there is a reason for a delay in printing using wi-fi?.

In addition, I often get a message on my screen that "Scan to computer has been lost". What does this mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Modified title from: Printing / Scanning

TansukhGanatra, Oct 2, 2023
  4. Lekden Win User

can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.

HP Officejet 3620 Scanner won't connect, Printer works fine

A few other people have posted similar problems but nowhere did I see an answer so I thought I would post.

Using Windows 10 64bit. It is updated completely. (Not the Insider build).

Just bought a HP Officejet 3620. Downloaded the most recent driver and print/scan software from HP's support website and installed according to their instructions. I am connected via USB, using the USB cable HP provided to a USB 2 port (not a hub).

Print function works fine, right off of the bat.

The Device Manager and the Devices and Printers both show the printer working properly and say there are no newer drivers. They also recognize it is a printer and scanner.

When I try to scan it says that the scanner is not connected, it cannot communicate with the device. This happens when I use the HP Scan utility and when I use Windows Fax and Scan, and it happens both when I set it to scan the scan surface or the document feeder. If I use the interface on the scanner itself when I choose the scan to computer option it shows my computer listed, but then when I try to start the scan it gives the same error, that it cannot connect. Similarly when I try to scan from within Adobe Acrobat it says it cannot connect to any scanner.

I have run HP Printer and Scanner Doctor, and it fails. It gets to the "Driver Check" section and says it cannot communicate with the device, that I should unplug the power cord, then plug it back in, and then restart Windows. I do this and the app starts back up and says it wasn't able to resolve the issue even after a restart and I should visit the HP service page. If I choose "skip," when told to restart the computer, it goes through the remainder of the checks and although none of the test scan works says "fixed scanning problem," except... it didn't. No change.

I also downloaded HP's product support bloatware, err, I mean software. That also runs its own diagnostic and says there is nothing wrong.

I have ensured that all necessary services are running and set to automatic.

My thought was to use Revo Uninstaller or something similar to wipe out the installation of the HP driver and software and see what happens when Windows tries to recognize it on its own. I am going to lay odds that will not work, but I figure I have to try it. When that doesn't work I am out of ideas.

Any thoughts? What can I possibly do next?

:::edit::: I listed incorrect model in the body of the post, although the title was correct; fixed that.

Lekden, Oct 2, 2023
Thema:

1. can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan. - Similar Threads - help connect MSFT

2. can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.: HP printer will not scan to my MSFT surface. I can print. Says printer "offline" or can't contact my computer. They won't help. Can you? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-help-connect-my-msft-surface-to-my-hp/4f4fb334-53b3-4896-88da-dbb2eec8cbd8
  3. can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can you help connect my MSFT surface to my HP scanner. It prints, but won't scan.: HP printer will not scan to my MSFT surface. I can print. Says printer "offline" or can't contact my computer. They won't help. Can you? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-help-connect-my-msft-surface-to-my-hp/4f4fb334-53b3-4896-88da-dbb2eec8cbd8
  4. My HP ENVOY Photo 7855 won't scan. It does print!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP ENVOY Photo 7855 won't scan. It does print!: My HP ENVOY Photo 7855 won't scan. It does print, but won't scan. It is not a wireless connection, but connected to my modem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hp-envoy-photo-7855-wont-scan-it-does-print/147e924d-198c-418e-9d02-987d3ca55fb6
  5. My HP ENVOY Photo 7855 won't scan. It does print!

My HP ENVOY Photo 7855 won't scan. It does print!: My HP ENVOY Photo 7855 won't scan. It does print, but won't scan. It is not a wireless connection, but connected to my modem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hp-envoy-photo-7855-wont-scan-it-does-print/147e924d-198c-418e-9d02-987d3ca55fb6
  6. HP Desktop F340 prints but won't scan

HP Desktop F340 prints but won't scan: Running Windows 11. It recognizes my printer printing fine but also says "drivers unavailable" and Microsoft Fax and Scan doesn't recognize it. Using the scan button on the printer also doesn't work. Windows 10 did recognize all the printer's functions including scanning.I...
  7. HP Desktop F340 prints but won't scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Desktop F340 prints but won't scan: Running Windows 11. It recognizes my printer printing fine but also says "drivers unavailable" and Microsoft Fax and Scan doesn't recognize it. Using the scan button on the printer also doesn't work. Windows 10 did recognize all the printer's functions including scanning.I...
  8. my HP Scanner won't scan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my HP Scanner won't scan: scanner HP7250 won't scan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hp-scanner-wont-scan/c838a276-47e8-4dd3-addf-4e4600ec3db5
  9. where is the finger print scanner on my hp envy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    where is the finger print scanner on my hp envy: new to this where is the finger print scanner on hp envy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/where-is-the-finger-print-scanner-on-my-hp-envy/4d663a52-6411-413d-9ae7-8e46c3d8ef3e
  10. Microsoft Scan won't recognize my scanner

Microsoft Scan won't recognize my scanner: I have a Conoscan 9950f scanner and a new Windows 10 64 bit computer. As soon as I powered the scanner up, plug and play took off and installed it. Going to settings>printers and scanners showed that it was installed. Clicking on the scanner icon and hit 'manage' brought up...