Windows 10: Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?

Discus and support Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had an attachment that came supposedly from a .tx.gov domain that when I opened it I found as opening a webpage with a ****.ru domain. So assuming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hollerxv, Jul 10, 2024.

1. hollerxv Win User

Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?

I had an attachment that came supposedly from a .tx.gov domain that when I opened it I found as opening a webpage with a ****.ru domain. So assuming the worst I scanned with three different commercial software packages Eset, Trendmicro, Malwarebytes which found nothing. Tried Microsoft safety security scanner as well as their Malicious Software Removal Tool and neither one of them would finish over 60 hrs and 10 hrs respectively despite continuing to see the file names change. Looking further the security updates are not installing for Defender 0x80070643 and the Windows Security st

:)

hollerxv, Jul 10, 2024
  2. Bree Win User

Windows Defender for Win10 v1709 and Rootkits?

Windows Defender can detect rootkits, then tell you to run Defender Offline to remove them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-protect-my-pc

3. Windows Defender Offline

Having read the response from Cyber_Defend_Team, my opinion is that the suggestion is a reach solution. An update would only be applicable if it included a fix for a reported issue of unable to invoke a Defender Offline scan or code that was previously preventing
    the feature from being executed.

In addition Windows 10 installs released updates automatically with the only requirement to initiate a restart at a convenient time by the user.

The work around I have used since was to download Defender Offline as a bootable cd and execute it to receive confirmation that no know rootkits have been installed. The outcome was reassuring and excluding zero day rootkits and other malware, Defender is
    effective in protecting W10.

Unfortunately activation of the Scan Offline button still does not initiate a restart.

Codegetter, Jul 10, 2024
  4. slimwadey Win User

Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?

am I infected with a rootkit

I was refering to Windows defender offline,it has been suggested that if you think you have a root kit then using Windows Defender offline is a good tool.

my concern is whether Windows Defender offline is good enough and whether it would affect the operating system if it deletes a rootkit.

slimwadey, Jul 10, 2024
Thema:

1. Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive? - Similar Threads - defender offline search

2. Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?: I had an attachment that came supposedly from a .tx.gov domain that when I opened it I found as opening a webpage with a ****.ru domain. So assuming the worst I scanned with three different commercial software packages Eset, Trendmicro, Malwarebytes which found nothing. Tried...
  3. Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can windows defender offline search for rootkits be installed and queued from a thumb drive?: I had an attachment that came supposedly from a .tx.gov domain that when I opened it I found as opening a webpage with a ****.ru domain. So assuming the worst I scanned with three different commercial software packages Eset, Trendmicro, Malwarebytes which found nothing. Tried...
  4. Can Windows Defender remove rootkit/bootkit?

Can Windows Defender remove rootkit/bootkit?: I think my UEFI has a virus. I would like to know is Windows Defender able to scan the UEFI and the Firmware chip, detect the virus, and remove it? If yes, what settings do I have to use/enable in Windows Defender in order for the threats to be removed?...
  5. Install windows 10 from a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 from a thumb drive: How do you install Windows 10 from a thumb drive onto a desk top that has vista? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-from-a-thumb-drive/aa17c0a9-43df-4a3c-ae67-b46fdec07e45
  6. Windows Defender offline search is not working.

Windows Defender offline search is not working.: Windows Defender offline search is not working for me once clicked search now, nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-offline-search-is-not-working/44d47a26-cf8d-4ac6-a27b-ca09febf7634
  7. Install Windows 10 from thumb drive

Install Windows 10 from thumb drive: I have a thumb drive with Windows 10 from 5/31/2018. How do I Install Windows 10 from the thumb drive to a new SSHD in my Dell Desktop: Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz 210 GHz Installed RAM 4.00 GB System type 64-bit operating system,...
  8. Where To Purchase Windows Defender Offline Thumb Boot Drive

Where To Purchase Windows Defender Offline Thumb Boot Drive: I'm convinced my computer is running some kind of behind the scenes malware. Signs are that there are popups that appear and go away so fast that they can't be identified; ads popping up in search results leading to google leads services, which come to pages that don't load;...
  9. Can I restore a computer from a thumb drive?

Can I restore a computer from a thumb drive?: I am out of room on HP stream and there is no room for MS Upgrade. All that is left is system files. Can I create a recovery on a thumb drive and then delete everything from the PC and restore from the thumb drive. There is not enough memory to run Reset....
  10. windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives: plugged in USB thumb drive opened windows explorer right clicked drive scan with windows defender and it said scanning pc but it never shows any options so I dont know if it scanned pc or usb for sure why or not 42160