Windows 10: Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

Discus and support Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have windows 10 pro and my workstation no longer meets minimum requirements for certain software I wish to install - I would like to move my existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by jezah, Feb 7, 2022.

1. jezah Win User

Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

I have windows 10 pro and my workstation no longer meets minimum requirements for certain software I wish to install - I would like to move my existing 10 pro licence by moving the hard drive of my current workstation to another and with fresh install of 10 pro - is this permitted under the licence agreement?

:)

jezah, Feb 7, 2022
  2. Kolby65 Win User

Activating Windows 10 Pro After a Hardware Upgrade!

I followed all the steps to linking my Windows 10 Pro to my Microsoft account so that I could upgrade my hardware, reinstall Windows 10 Pro, and activate it, but it's not working. I'm signed into my Microsoft account. I tried the activation troubleshooter,
    selecing that I recently changed hardware, etc. Nothing is working. I can see my old computer under my Microsoft account, as well as my new one (with better hardware). I changed the motherboard, ram, and CPU. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Kolby65, Feb 7, 2022
  3. Moving a storage device to a whole new set of hardware

You can certainly move the SSD but Windows will not run for these reasons:

• Invalid product key. All Windows product keys are tied to the hardware (CPU, motherboard etc.)
    • Invalid HAL. The correct Hardware Abstraction Layer gets established at installation time. It will be incorrect when moving the disk to different hardware.

Frederik Long, Feb 7, 2022
  4. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

Uninstall (delete, remove) the Windows 10 digital license from old hardware, after reactivating it on new (similar) hardware, after hardware change

If you followed all of the steps in
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and deleted the old install then there's nothing else that needs to be done.

I've not yet seen a case where Digital Entitlement activation is removed from a device. Even Devices that Upgrade to Pro, and/or use a retail Windows 10 Product Key to reactivate on the same device, still keep both Home and Pro Entitlement stacked on the
    device along with the retail Key until it is removed by reactivating on a new Device. But unlike retail Product keys which remove themselves in this way from the old device once reactivated on new hardware, there's no evidence yet that Digital Entitlement
    does.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 7, 2022
Thema:

Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

1. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware - Similar Threads - pro moved old

2. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  3. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  4. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware: I have windows 10 pro and my workstation no longer meets minimum requirements for certain software I wish to install - I would like to move my existing 10 pro licence by moving the hard drive of my current workstation to another and with fresh install of 10 pro - is this...
  6. Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can Windows 10 pro be moved from old hardware to new hardware: I have windows 10 pro and my workstation no longer meets minimum requirements for certain software I wish to install - I would like to move my existing 10 pro licence by moving the hard drive of my current workstation to another and with fresh install of 10 pro - is this...
  7. Windows 10 on a new hardware

Windows 10 on a new hardware: Hello, I am about to buy new hardware everything except my HDD, SSD and PS. I have a windows 10 PRO which was upgraded from windows 7. However, I don't have my product key any more - my windows was activated using 1 e-mail my former business e-mail, the one that no longer...
  8. Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives

Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives: I am planning to install a new motherboard and drives, an upgrade. Old one is 5 years old. I want to retain all my apps and data without having to reinstall everything or in some cases replace with new. Currently Windows is on an M.2 180 GB drive and data on a 1 TB HDD. I...
  9. Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware

Old Windows 7/10 key on New Hardware: Installed a new mobo/ram/cpu into my old case and have found that the key I was using with the old hardware wont activate. Tried calling microsoft's phoneline to see if customer support will activate it for me but their automated phone system is garbage and hangs up on me...
  10. New hardware. Can not reactivate windows 10

New hardware. Can not reactivate windows 10: I orderd a new motherboard and CPU recently as my old CPU was all but dead. When trying to reactivate windows on the new hardware it brings up a desktop from Dell Inc which is actually our laptop that was bought not too long ago. When i search for other devices linked to...