Windows 10: Can I safely delete boot.wim?

Discus and support Can I safely delete boot.wim? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by jeremyvan den heuvel, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work.

:)

jeremyvan den heuvel, Jan 19, 2023
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Viruses in an old WIM file

Hi Malcolm

Click the link below and in the Here's How section follow the steps to add 'Take Ownership' to your Right click Menu

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-ta...

Right click that 'DO NOT DELETE' folder and take ownership of that folder

Try deleting that WIM file

If you still cannot delete that file, boot your system into Safe Mode and then try deleting that WIM file . . .

How to boot into Safe Mode:

Press the Shift Key and click Restart

Your PC will boot into the Windows Recovery Environment

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Settings and click Restart

Upon restart, press 4 to enter Safe Mode

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

DaveM121, Jan 19, 2023
  3. MGoBlue93 Win User
    After Windows 10 WIM deploy, system fails to boot

I have some brand new notebooks (they are HP Z Book G4 Studios). From the state I received the units, I wanted to deploy the company image, instead of using what came loaded by the factory.

Before posting, I did search this site and I did look at: Applied wim file does not correctly boot

No help.

Deploying the WIM failed. It's a Windows 10 WIM. The WIM had the HP drivers added to it... if there was a problem with the drivers, I would expect a BSOD. But that is NOT the problem as no BSOD is received.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Press F9 to access boot menu
    2. Connect USB DVD drive with WinPE disc inserted
    3. Boot to WinPE (created with the latest version of the AIK/ADK or whatever MS is calling it these days).
    4. Run the following diskpart commands: select disk 0, clean, create partition primary, format fs=ntfs quick, assign letter=c:, and active
    5. Run dism /apply-image /imagefile:e:\myWIM.wim /index:1 /applydir:c:\
    6. Run bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    7. Exit WinPE and reboot.

After exiting and the subsequent reboot, I get an OS not found error right after POST.

I booted into the installation media, rescue mode, and ran:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

The bootrec.exe command returns:

Successfully scanned Windows Installations
    Total identified Windows Installations: 1
    Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:

So I enter Y

...and it fails!!!

I can go to c:\ and do a dir and see the file system as expected (so again, assuming so WIM integrity problems).

1. Is there anything special about doing this on Win 10 that is different (Win 10 does put a 100 MB and 450MB partition on the drive when it does a clean install right? Recovery areas and such?
    2. When I do the diskpart clean, that wipes those two partitions out. How critical are they to run?
    3. I've used the same process which worked on Windows 7 -- are there BIOS settings, partitioning, etc., which is preventing this from booting for me? I haven't had such problems before; just with Win 10.

The drive from the factory was gpt. I did run diskpart convert mbr. The whole process failed in the same way

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

MGoBlue93, Jan 19, 2023
  4. coopfab Win User

Can I safely delete boot.wim?

Cannot Enter Safe Mode / Computer boots normally

I'm running Win 10 Pro 1903.

Here are the steps I have taken to get into safe mode: Start button, settings, update and security, recovery, advanced startup, troubleshoot, advanced options, startup settings, restart. The computer boots normally, not in safe mode. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your help and interest. .

coopfab, Jan 19, 2023
Thema:

Can I safely delete boot.wim?

1. Can I safely delete boot.wim? - Similar Threads - safely delete boot

2. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  3. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  4. I can not boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not boot into safe mode: HiI tried all methods here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/609752/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-in-windows-11.htmlThe Advanced options does not exists and I tried msconfig safe boot option also does not work, any advise ?...
  5. I can not boot into safe mode

I can not boot into safe mode: HiI tried all methods here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/609752/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-in-windows-11.htmlThe Advanced options does not exists and I tried msconfig safe boot option also does not work, any advise ?...
  6. Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?

Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?: When I run bcdedit I get this result:C:\Windows\system32>bcdeditWindows Boot Manager--------------------identifier {bootmgr}device unknownpath \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFIdescription Windows Boot Managerlocale en-USinherit {globalsettings}default {default}resumeobject...
  7. Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?: When I run bcdedit I get this result:C:\Windows\system32>bcdeditWindows Boot Manager--------------------identifier {bootmgr}device unknownpath \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFIdescription Windows Boot Managerlocale en-USinherit {globalsettings}default {default}resumeobject...
  8. Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot: Hi, I am really at a loss, and was hoping someone would help. I have a .WIM that I need to restore to a test laptop.I have a USB thumb drive with WinPE on it. I have a USB SSD with the .WIM.The version of Windows is newer as of 6/2021, likely the latest version or one...
  9. what is this? can I delete it safely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this? can I delete it safely?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mozesty_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k19n5k/what_is_this_can_i_delete_it_safely/
  10. Can I safely delete install.wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I safely delete install.wim?: I'm cleaning out unnecessary files and folders and came across my C drive. Since I have created my own custom recovery partition, can I safely delete this install.wim that is currently setting in my C drive and using 9GB? 115022