Windows 10: can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?

Discus and support can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home single language digital license OEM version. It was recently serviced with its motherboard repaired and SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Blaze Firestone, Jul 5, 2024.

1. can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?

I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home single language digital license OEM version. It was recently serviced with its motherboard repaired and SSD replaced. The vendor then installed windows 10 pro volume version but it is not able to activate and upon troubleshooting it is asking to install windows home version. I am currently thinking to change the product key to the oem key and reinstall windows 10 home. Is it a safe way? or should i try an alternate method? please suggest

:)

Blaze Firestone, Jul 5, 2024
  2. taz420nj Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

LOL yes they do. Legit OEM copies DO come with a key - on a sticker that you affix to the case. OEM and SLP (System Locked Preactivation) are NOT the same thing. SLP is what large OEMs like Dell, HP, etc do, where every system came out of the factory activated with the same "Manufacturer's Master" key in XP, Vista, and 7. Reinstalling with the factory image preserves this activation. However if you dig that key out with Magical Jellybean and try to do a clean install with it, activation will fail. That's why every machine that came out of a factory ALSO had a COA with a unique key. That is what you need to use for a clean install. Starting with 8, large OEMs began embedding the unique key into the BIOS, which is why they no longer come with a unique key sticker. However, you can still buy legit OEM versions of every version (the ones that small shops would use for their custom machines) - including 10 - which come with the sticker with a unique key.

The only differences between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM version locks to the first motherboard it is activated on, while Retail can be moved to a different one. OEM also come with no support.

taz420nj, Jul 5, 2024
  3. rtwjunkie Win User

Dude, go to Newegg right now and read the questions and answers tab on Windows 10 OEM. The OEM copies that are listed there DO in fact, come on an optical disc. The flash drive ONLY comes on Retail copies.

rtwjunkie, Jul 5, 2024
  4. OneMoar Win User

can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?

indeed OEM's have embedded keys a OEM upgrade is for machines with OEM copies and DO NOT COME WITH A KEY! sadly many vendors confuse the two because pre-windows 10 'OEM" came with a key
    a end user should always buy a Retail OR "System builder OEM" copy when it comes to windows 10 system builder is not `OEM` you can blame microsoft for the retarded terminology screw up

it sounds like the op bought a pirated copy with no key microsoft does not ship windows 10 on optical disks .... they use flash drives

OneMoar, Jul 5, 2024
Thema:

can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?

1. can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key? - Similar Threads - restore oem version

2. can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?: I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home single language digital license OEM version. It was recently serviced with its motherboard repaired and SSD replaced. The vendor then installed windows 10 pro volume version but it is not able to activate and upon troubleshooting it is...
  3. can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i restore the oem version of windows 10 with changing the product key?: I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home single language digital license OEM version. It was recently serviced with its motherboard repaired and SSD replaced. The vendor then installed windows 10 pro volume version but it is not able to activate and upon troubleshooting it is...
  4. OEM Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM Product Key: Is it possible to retrieve my windows OEM product key when I purchase my HP Laptop way back in 2014 windows 8 pre-installed with the computer, upgraded to 10 when came out? I replaced my HD 2 years ago and I need to replace it again with SSD. I contacted HP support and he...
  5. Can I use windows 10 oem product key to newly installed windows 10?

Can I use windows 10 oem product key to newly installed windows 10?: can I use my windows 10 oem product key to newly installed windows 10 on same laptop? I am asking this because, unfortunately, I forgot my laptop's password. I already watched youtube tutorials on how to change or reset password but I am doubtful of these tutorials online and...
  6. OEM product Keys

OEM product Keys: i want to buy oem license key from amazon for my laptop is that ok ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-product-keys/63fba0b4-4c8e-432f-936f-05451ec28757
  7. Can system restore restore product keys?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can system restore restore product keys?: I just want to know before upgrading to windows 10 pro in case something goes wrong during the upgrade. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-system-restore-restore-product-keys/a214535c-e202-4538-a15a-6d45f3020bf9
  8. OEM Product Key

OEM Product Key: I recently bought a Windows 10 Pro (OEM) and installed it on my computer which currently has a windows 10 Home ( OEM ). Then i installed the windows 10 home to my laptop. However i can't activate the product key of the said OS. I get this error "We can't activate windows on...
  9. Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?: I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life. But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get...
  10. Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key: Scenario: Bought Win10 Home OEM for new computer build. Installed it and all of my requisite 3rd party software. Then find out that Home 10 does not allow RDP connections. *cry Buy 10 Pro OEM for $128 (rather than pay $99 for an upgrade through the Windows store so I have a...