Windows 10: Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?

Discus and support Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, due to BitLocker, I recently had to back up my Dell XPS 13's data onto an external SSD to reinstall Windows 10. BitLocker initially locked me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chava.mx, Oct 9, 2024.

1. chava.mx Win User

Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?

Hello, due to BitLocker, I recently had to back up my Dell XPS 13's data onto an external SSD to reinstall Windows 10. BitLocker initially locked me out, so I disabled it through the troubleshooting menu using the command prompt. But after disabling it, I still needed my account admin password which I didn't remember. So I had to remove my laptop's SSD and store the data in an external SSD. I then reinstalled Windows 10 and had to make a new user. After creating a new Windows 10 user on the reinstall, I wanted to have all my data on the computer back to how I had it. I want to copy the old use

:)

chava.mx, Oct 9, 2024
  2. DStiles Win User

AppData folder under incorrect user

I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are under a different user folder now except the AppData folder. New PC runs Windows 11. I need to move the AppData folder and subfolders to the other User folder and delete what was created during initial set up. I've read some of the thread that was posted on moving the AppData for Windows 10 and wanted to see if the same problem exist under Windows 11. Why is there no location tab on that folder? That would have made things much simpler. So would step by step instructions that explained why I needed to sign on to my Microsoft account. I was also told I would still be able to use my MS Office 2007 however if I install using the original disc after uninstalling from my old pc where would I get any of the updates that were applied. I removed the trial software for MS Office 365. I have no intention of or reason to use 365. Thank you for your assistance.

DStiles, Oct 9, 2024
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    How do I access the appdata folder when it is not my C:\ drive?

Its a hidden folder by default. You need to enable hidden files and folders. You can navigate to it though by typing in the path or if you are logged in under the user account in question in explorer just click on the navigation bar and type %appdata% its a system variable so it will open it right up.

Solaris17, Oct 9, 2024
  4. Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?

How to access appdata folder

Hi Jaden,

Thank you posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Write in the search box the following: “%appdata%” .
    • After the search is finished left click or tap on the folder that the search feature found.
    • If it takes you to the following path: “C:\Users\The user that you are logged in with\AppData\Roaming”.
    • It means that your folders are still there but they are hidden.
    • Click on “View”.
    • Check the box “Hidden items”
    Also you refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: Above link also refers to the Windows 10.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 9, 2024
Thema:

Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?

1. Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder? - Similar Threads - move old user's

2. Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?: Hello, due to BitLocker, I recently had to back up my Dell XPS 13's data onto an external SSD to reinstall Windows 10. BitLocker initially locked me out, so I disabled it through the troubleshooting menu using the command prompt. But after disabling it, I still needed my...
  3. Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I move my old user's AppData folders into my new users AppData folder?: Hello, due to BitLocker, I recently had to back up my Dell XPS 13's data onto an external SSD to reinstall Windows 10. BitLocker initially locked me out, so I disabled it through the troubleshooting menu using the command prompt. But after disabling it, I still needed my...
  4. Can I move a folder from my AppData/LocalLow folder to an external?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I move a folder from my AppData/LocalLow folder to an external?: I recently posted a question about deleting a folder from the Roaming folder after moving it to an external. Now I'm wondering If I can do something similar with the LocalLow folder. I like having gaming files and such all on the same drive so it's easier to find them and was...
  5. Can I move a folder from my AppData/LocalLow folder to an external?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move a folder from my AppData/LocalLow folder to an external?: I recently posted a question about deleting a folder from the Roaming folder after moving it to an external. Now I'm wondering If I can do something similar with the LocalLow folder. I like having gaming files and such all on the same drive so it's easier to find them and was...
  6. Can I move a folder from my AppData/LocalLow folder to an external?

7. AppData folder under incorrect user

AppData folder under incorrect user: I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are...
  8. AppData folder under incorrect user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppData folder under incorrect user: I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are...
  9. Can i move my appdata from an old user to a new user in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i move my appdata from an old user to a new user in windows 10?: An old user account in my pc is having a lot of issues (mainly loggin in to microsoft accounts) so i created a new account on my pc that works perfectly but i wanted to move all my data in appdata to my new user. How may i do that? submitted by /u/andresma7 [link]...
  10. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...