Windows 10: Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar?

Discus and support Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/2eb2qblsr0n41.png?width=217&format=png&auto=webp&s=e4a05d787482e459324b4490e12311d7df854564 submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MayaTheMaster, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar?

/u/MayaTheMaster, Mar 16, 2020
  2. rog7 Win User

Multiple Documents folders shown in Navigation Pane

When a File Explorer window is first opened, the Navigation Pane lists everything correctly.

However, every minute (approx.) that the window is open an additional Documents folder is listed i.e. after about 10 minutes 10 Documents folders will be shown. All appear identical and all point to the same folder on disk.

How can I stop this duplication?

Thanks

Keith

3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar? :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Mar 16, 2020
  4. JohnnyGui Win User

Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar?

Weird Explorer hang when Libraries are shown in Navigation Pane?

I don't have any issues with the Libraries, their Properties work fine.

So someone at Technet was able to reproduce the issue.

There seems to be a specific way to do this. Try deselecting the Libraries again through my previous shown picture and instead, show the Libraries by right-clicking in the Navigation Pane like this:

Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar? [​IMG]

Then please do the steps in the OP, you may have to repeat these steps a few times. (it doesn't always occur at my end either)

JohnnyGui, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar?

1. Can I change the folders shown in the navigation bar? - Similar Threads - change folders shown

2. Windows update changed folder navigation and you can no longer see the filepath, how to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update changed folder navigation and you can no longer see the filepath, how to...: Standard win 11 64 bit.This happened right after a windows update about a month ago. I really don't like this change, everything that is at the top of this menu screen is overly inflated like word perfect which is a lot of stuff that your basic home users don't need for basic...
  3. Windows update changed folder navigation and you can no longer see the filepath, how to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update changed folder navigation and you can no longer see the filepath, how to...: Standard win 11 64 bit.This happened right after a windows update about a month ago. I really don't like this change, everything that is at the top of this menu screen is overly inflated like word perfect which is a lot of stuff that your basic home users don't need for basic...
  4. Can I bring back the drop-down navigation in the side-bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I bring back the drop-down navigation in the side-bar?: As the title reads, I would like to be able to use the drop-down file navigation again. I really dislike the new system where you can only pin specific files on the side bar. Does anyone know how to bring back the old...
  5. Can I bring back the drop-down navigation in the side-bar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I bring back the drop-down navigation in the side-bar?: As the title reads, I would like to be able to use the drop-down file navigation again. I really dislike the new system where you can only pin specific files on the side bar. Does anyone know how to bring back the old...
  6. Navigation Bar on Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Navigation Bar on Windows Defender: So I was going to install an app and it was detected as a virus and didnt download so I went to windows defender and the Navigation Bar didnt work and when I try to allow a program it dosent let me...
  7. Position od navigation bar.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Position od navigation bar.: Hello everyone. I come to You all with one little(maybe not simple) question. Is any option to move the navigation bar,(You all know which I mean probably but this is the one which we are using to close and minimize our apps) to the left side instead of the right side? To be...
  8. Task Bar/Navigation access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Bar/Navigation access: I searched for answers to this question on the forum, and found some answers, but none of them worked for me. So I am posting now hoping someone can provide me some sort of assistance. I have an HP touchscreen laptop I bought last year and I upgraded from Windows 7 to...
  9. Navigation bar stopped working

Navigation bar stopped working: I purchased a new laptop but a few days later a navigation bar stopped working and I cannot open the Start menu, used various features including the Administrator of tasks...
  10. Explorer Navigation Bar Position

Explorer Navigation Bar Position: The vertical orientation of the Navigation Bar is new. Why, oh why, was it moved from orientated horizontally to vertical? Vertical orientation reduces the width of my home screen. I would like to be able to return the bar back to horizontal which might permit the ability...