Windows 10: C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

Discus and support C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bfry2461, Oct 21, 2022.

1. bfry2461 Win User

C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did get an error regardin Remote Procedure Call. I did search that error and both DCOM and RPC is set to Automatic. The second section of Disk Management, shows the correct size, but the top section and File Explorer still show the original. You can also see in the below picture, I tried the DiskPart but got the same e

:)

bfry2461, Oct 21, 2022

2. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Oct 21, 2022
  3. wvbirdman Win User
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size

I think the issue is solved. The problem of File Explorer Properties showing greatly reduced folder size was present in my Documents folder and my two most used folders under Documents. Looking at the TLPD results I noticed that along with the 17,000 results from the folders "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and "C:\Users\[me]\AppData", there were about 4 results from each of these two most used folders. I went to those files in the first folder and shortened the names to well below 255 characters. Then File Explorer Properties showed the correct folder size (that is to say the same size as Tree Size Free shows), but Documents folder size was still wrong. Then I went to the second of these two folders and carefully did the same fix. Now File Explorer Properties folder size is correct for this folder and is correct for Documents.

Documents and both of these folders are present in my Quick access. Before this fix, I noticed that if I checked folder size in File Explorer, I got the wrong size whether I used the left pane under Quick access, or the right pane; but if I hovered over the folder in question in the right pane, the pop-up showed the correct size. I don't know if either of these are pertinent to the original problem.

Strangely, the wrong folder size problem never appeared in the two folders for which TLPD returned 99% of it's results: "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and "C:\Users\[me]\AppData". File Explorer Properties and Tree Size Free always agreed.

So I guess that if you want your File Explorer Properties to work correctly, you must run TLPD occasionally and rename any long file names under Documents; or carefully avoid long names.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem or an easier fix would be appreciated.

Thanks for everybody's help.

wvbirdman, Oct 21, 2022
  4. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

Drive not showing full capacity after installing image backup to new ssd drive.

Hi,

I upgraded to a bigger ssd drive after the old one became quite full. I used an image backup to do this. All works well after the reinstallation of the new drive. Only problem is my new ssd drive does not show it's full capacity. I still says it is full
    in file explorer. Disk management shows the extra space as unallocated. I tried creating a new simple volume but file explorer still does not see it as part of drive C. Still get the message that it is full...(only seeing the old drive size)

How can I get drive C to show it's full capacity? Please help.

LeonTheron1, Oct 21, 2022
Thema:

C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

1. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management - Similar Threads - drive capacity shows

2. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  3. Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer: I'm running bootcamp Windows 10 on MacOS Monterey 2018 Macbook Air. I've been using the hard drive Seagate backup to play valorant. However, after a computer restart, now it doesn't show up in file explorer. I tried this on another pc, both running windows 10, and got the...
  4. Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer: I'm running bootcamp Windows 10 on MacOS Monterey 2018 Macbook Air. I've been using the hard drive Seagate backup to play valorant. However, after a computer restart, now it doesn't show up in file explorer. I tried this on another pc, both running windows 10, and got the...
  5. Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  7. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  8. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity

in Windows 10 News
    USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity: [ATTACH]Sometimes, when you attempt to format a USB or an External drive, it shows […] This article USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity: I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink,...