Windows 10: BTHUSB event id 5 causing BLE dongle to freeze

Discus and support BTHUSB event id 5 causing BLE dongle to freeze in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! We've been having issues with our BLE dongles, connected via USB to our PCs, where they sporadically freeze up and report no more connections.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AP_182, Sep 2, 2020.

1. AP_182 Win User

BTHUSB event id 5 causing BLE dongle to freeze

Hi!

We've been having issues with our BLE dongles, connected via USB to our PCs, where they sporadically freeze up and report no more connections.

We'll usually see some sort of BTHUSB error at the same time the communication stopped when we look at the event viewer, but the ID of the event may change. It's usually ID 5, ID 18 or ID 34.
    When we get these errors, we'll usually try to reset the USB using 'devcon -reset', but this doesn't always work either. Neither does 'devcon -disable' always work. When it doesn't work, what we'll see is that the command devcon -reset even from an elevated CMD simply freezes, and returns no response. In the instance that the devcon doesn't work, the USB which is physically connected to the PC and is turned on doesn't register in the device manager either.

We're using PCs and NUCs, WIN10 on both with latest update, latest relevant drivers on both in terms of BLE drivers and BIOS. We use different manufacturers' BLE dongles with different chipsets. Our software uses UWPs' Windows.Devices.Bluetooth from windows runtime API to interact with the BLE dongles over USB.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to power down the voltage to a specific USB port, or all USBs ports, to simulate physically removing the dongle from the USB port?
    2. Is this something anyone has encountered? we're seeing this in too many PCs in too many hardware configurations for us to be the only one seeing this behavior.

Thanks!

:)

AP_182, Sep 2, 2020

2. Error: BTHUSB event id 5

Hello everyone,

Hope you all are doing well in this unprecedented times(Corona pandemic 2020).

Here is the problem:

I have searched whole of the internet for an issue regarding the auto-restart of my PC whenever it shuts down(my PC automatically turns ON after I shut it down), it does not throw any error or any other blue screen issues during shut down. One of the solutions
    in the internet said to check system logs in the event viewer against the time of shutdown.

Fortunately, I found an error: BTHUSB with event id 5 stating:
    The Bluetooth driver expected an HCI event with a certain size but did not receive it.

Can this error be the reason why my PC restarts automatically?

And if not still how to resolve this and how to overcome the problem of auto restarting.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm currently on Windows 10.

Detailed description from the event viewer is as follows:

Log Name: System

Source: BTHUSB
    Date: 4/26/2020 12:47:32 AM
    Event ID: 5
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A

Description:
    The Bluetooth driver expected an HCI event with a certain size but did not receive it.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="BTHUSB" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49157">5</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-04-25T19:17:32.771177800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>45438</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-88GURV7</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>000014000100000000000000050005C00E0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000080000000C0000000E0C010B1000020205000000</Binary>
    </EventData>

</Event>

Thanks in advance.

Yogesh Aggarwal, Sep 2, 2020
  3. xamp Win User
    Warning Event ID 25 BTHUSB

I have a Bluetooth ear piece I've attempted to update the firmware for multiple times. Every time I've tried to, the device fails to update. There are no instruction on how to up the earpiece other than "download the updater software, run it and hit the update button". When I check the Event Viewer for the error, I get "The local adapter does not support a critical Low Energy feature, the Low Energy functionality will therefore be disabled" and the source is BTHUSB with event ID 25. I've tried to locate a solution online and nothing with that specific source and event id combination shows up. The earpiece is a Sennheiser Presence.

xamp, Sep 2, 2020
  4. FulvioDS Win User

BTHUSB Event 22 in the Event Viewer

Good morning,
    the help page of the June Monthly Rollup update for Windows 8.1 (KB4503276) says to check the BTHUSB Event 22 in the Event Viewer. I have not managed to find this event. I have found 3 items regarding Bluetooth, which are: Bluetooth-BthLEEnum, Bluetooth-HidBthLE
    and bluetooth-MTPEnum, but there is no sign of BTHUSB.

Could someone please tell me where it is?

Thanks.

FulvioDS, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

1. BTHUSB event id 5 causing BLE dongle to freeze - Similar Threads - BTHUSB event causing

2. All Peripherals Momentarily Disconnect Due to BTHUSB Event ID 18 Issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Peripherals Momentarily Disconnect Due to BTHUSB Event ID 18 Issue.: Hello everyone,I'm encountering a persistent issue with my PC where all peripherals briefly disconnect and then reconnect without any apparent trigger. This happens randomly, typically during video playback or gaming. The Event Viewer logs the following under the BTHUSB...
  3. Event ID 10016 causing PC to freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event ID 10016 causing PC to freeze: For the past 2 weeks, my pc has been freezing with event id 10016. It's not considered as an error but a warning. [ATTACH] 2 of them: [ATTACH] I can't work comfortably if this event happens and then my PC freezes, it can happen during a meeting, making digital art, and...
  4. Event ID: 10016 Causes PC to freeze

Event ID: 10016 Causes PC to freeze: Since 4 days ago, my PC will freeze and not respond to anything. I will have to do a hard reset. There is no patterns, it can be when I am browsing web, gaming, working on a Word doc on OneDrive, just not doing anything. My PC already froze like more than 10 times over 4...
  5. Error: BTHUSB event id 5

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error: BTHUSB event id 5: Hello everyone, Hope you all are doing well in this unprecedented timesCorona pandemic 2020. Here is the problem: I have searched whole of the internet for an issue regarding the auto-restart of my PC whenever it shuts downmy PC automatically turns ON after I shut it...
  6. EVENT ID 10016 DCOM/COM causes constant freezing

EVENT ID 10016 DCOM/COM causes constant freezing: Hello !! Long story short i ve been dealing with these freezes for around 3 years. Have sent it to tech store multiple times without em figuring the cause of it. Today i stumbled across a thread which had a similar if not same problem....
  7. Warning Event ID 25 BTHUSB

in Windows 10 Support
    Warning Event ID 25 BTHUSB: I have a Bluetooth ear piece I've attempted to update the firmware for multiple times. Every time I've tried to, the device fails to update. There are no instruction on how to up the earpiece other than "download the updater software, run it and hit the update button". When I...
  8. Win10 will not connect to BLE dongle

Win10 will not connect to BLE dongle: Major issues connecting BLED device after a recent WIN10 system upgrade. Can anyone help? Have tried installing driver, upgrading system, using different USB port...nothing works. HELP!...
  9. BTHUSB Event ID 34 disconnecting all USB devices simultaneously

BTHUSB Event ID 34 disconnecting all USB devices simultaneously: As the title says, I frequently (every half-hour or so, on average, sometimes more, sometimes less), all USB devices disconnect from my computer simultaneously, and windows writes and event to the log, "BTHUSB" withj Event ID 34. The text of the error reads: "The local...
  10. BTHUSB warning event ID 34

BTHUSB warning event ID 34: "The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode..." This pops up as a warning in Event Viewer every time the 3148 laptop is booted or awakened from sleep. As a test, "Allow this device to turn off this device to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bthusb a command sent to the adapter has timed out