Windows 10: Booting issue with drives

Discus and support Booting issue with drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,ive recently been given an old PC built in 2015 by my brother and it has was working fine until it was given to me. After i got it i used it for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Finch Chiacchia, Oct 13, 2024.

1. Booting issue with drives

Hi,ive recently been given an old PC built in 2015 by my brother and it has was working fine until it was given to me. After i got it i used it for about 3 days and it worked perfectly but its recently had a lot of issues. Firstly the PC reformatted my eternal hard drive wiping it and then changed its boot order to boot off the wrong internal hard drive the one without the windows operating system, drive 1 isnt where it should boot, drive 2 is which left me confused. I managed to reformat my external hard drive using my old laptop and i got the PC working i just had to go into the BIOS boo

:)

Finch Chiacchia, Oct 13, 2024
  2. little cat, Oct 13, 2024
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Booting issue with drives 264148d1579727363t-optical-drive-issue-screenshot-12-.png

Booting issue with drives 264149d1579727409t-optical-drive-issue-screenshot-10-.png

Booting issue with drives 264150d1579727247t-optical-drive-issue-screenshot-11-.png

Jerry8A, Oct 13, 2024
  4. Anak Win User

Booting issue with drives

Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

Booting issue with drives 264204d1579788485t-optical-drive-issue-send-.png

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

Thema:

Booting issue with drives

1. Booting issue with drives - Similar Threads - Booting issue drives

2. Booting issue with drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting issue with drives: Hi,ive recently been given an old PC built in 2015 by my brother and it has was working fine until it was given to me. After i got it i used it for about 3 days and it worked perfectly but its recently had a lot of issues. Firstly the PC reformatted my eternal hard drive...
  3. Booting issue with drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting issue with drives: Hi,ive recently been given an old PC built in 2015 by my brother and it has was working fine until it was given to me. After i got it i used it for about 3 days and it worked perfectly but its recently had a lot of issues. Firstly the PC reformatted my eternal hard drive...
  4. SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.: Hello, for the last few weeks I've had an issue with my ssd when turning on my pc where it says 'press any button to skip scan' and I have looked into it and used CMD prompts such as;-sfc /scannow-chkdsk-chkdsk c: /f /r probably a few more but I've been at it for hours so I'm...
  5. SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.: Hello, for the last few weeks I've had an issue with my ssd when turning on my pc where it says 'press any button to skip scan' and I have looked into it and used CMD prompts such as;-sfc /scannow-chkdsk-chkdsk c: /f /r probably a few more but I've been at it for hours so I'm...
  6. Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues: Just bought my daughter a new laptop (Acer 5 Aspire). I've already exited S mode and now would like to take the 256GB SSD from her old HP laptop and install it in the Aspire as the boot drive instead of the installed 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD which I'll leave in place. The current...
  7. Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?: Hi all - was given a laptop by a friend to take a look at. Pretty sure the culprit is a dying hard drive, but wanted a second opinion. Laptop fails to boot and she was getting constant 'Startup Repair' errors in Windows 10 on attempted bootup. Now, however, when I try and...
  8. Upgraded SSD as boot drive and having issues with Windows booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded SSD as boot drive and having issues with Windows booting: I purchased a Dell Alienware with a primary 256GB Samsung SSD drive and a 1TB HDD drive. I placed my OS and as little as possible on the C drive and most everything else on the D drive. I thought this would be sustainable but found I was wrong. I purchased 1TB Samsung SSD...
  9. "c" drive issue after dual boot.!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "c" drive issue after dual boot.!: dual boot with linux os. and "c" drive take 30 GB space for dual boot partition. in 100GB space of "C" Drive. when i delete the dual boot linux os. and delete the partition of 30GB space but it's create problems like 100GB of "C" Drive after give the space 30GB to dual...
  10. Boot issue with Multiple Drives Connected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot issue with Multiple Drives Connected: Thank you... Just running through that option again must have done something as everything was set as expected. Went into Set-up and first confirmed boot order. 1st Boot - CD / DVD 2nd Boot - Hard Disk WDC .... Also went into Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities to...