Windows 10: Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter?

Discus and support Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I just built a new pc and am booting from my old hard drive with Windows 10 Home installed. I got into the lock screen but it wont let me use my PIN to... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by User_621, Oct 19, 2024 at 7:52 PM.

1. User_621 Win User

Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter?

I just built a new pc and am booting from my old hard drive with Windows 10 Home installed. I got into the lock screen but it wont let me use my PIN to sign in. it is making me use a password, but my microsoft password isnt working. Is there some other password i should be using instead?

:)

2. Boot from old hard drive

The motherboard of my old computer died suddenly and so I bought a new computer. It has two 1TB HDDs on RAID 0 and comes preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. I wanted my computer to boot from my old 120GB SSD from my old computer but it doesn't seem to recognize it as boot drive. It was working perfectly with my old computer.

I can view files from the SSD and so this confirms that it is working. The boot partition is marked active.

I tried changing the boot hard drive in the bios but in the bios, the only two options shown in the boot menu are

• Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume1)
    • CD/DVDRW

After searching online, a website suggested swapping the Sata of the old hard drive with that of the new one. I tried even this but this didn't work either. It gave me the error "boot disk not found" and in the boot menu, the only option was "CD/DVDRW".

For Reference :

Motherboard : ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

All Hard Drives Run GPT.

Any other solutions?

Don't Root here plz..., Oct 19, 2024 at 7:53 PM
  3. GlynParry Win User
    Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Thema:

1. Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter? - Similar Threads - Booting old hard

2. Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter?: I just built a new pc and am booting from my old hard drive with Windows 10 Home installed. I got into the lock screen but it wont let me use my PIN to sign in. it is making me use a password, but my microsoft password isnt working. Is there some other password i should be...
  3. Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from old hard drive - What password do i enter?: I just built a new pc and am booting from my old hard drive with Windows 10 Home installed. I got into the lock screen but it wont let me use my PIN to sign in. it is making me use a password, but my microsoft password isnt working. Is there some other password i should be...
  4. What is wrong with my old laptop hard drive and how do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is wrong with my old laptop hard drive and how do I fix it?: I have a hard drive from an old HP Windows XP laptop and want to access some files on there, but I'm having trouble. I bought an adapter for the hard drive so I can plug it into my pc as an external hard drive, but when I try to open it or right-click it, it won't load. One...
  5. What is wrong with my old laptop hard drive and how do I fix it?

What is wrong with my old laptop hard drive and how do I fix it?: I have a hard drive from an old HP Windows XP laptop and want to access some files on there, but I'm having trouble. I bought an adapter for the hard drive so I can plug it into my pc as an external hard drive, but when I try to open it or right-click it, it won't load. One...
  6. How do I recover edge tabs from old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover edge tabs from old hard drive?: My laptop conked out on me, and I connected the hard drive to my desktop computer to get my important files off of it before I trash it. One of the things I am having trouble finding are all of my open Microsoft Edge tabs. How do I access this data considering the...
  7. How do I recover edge tabs from old hard drive?

How do I recover edge tabs from old hard drive?: My laptop conked out on me, and I connected the hard drive to my desktop computer to get my important files off of it before I trash it. One of the things I am having trouble finding are all of my open Microsoft Edge tabs. How do I access this data considering the...
  8. How do I recover edge tabs from old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. What should I do with two old extra hard disk drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What should I do with two old extra hard disk drives: I have two HDDs that i am pretty sure are both sata 3 and they were both taken out of laptops. So i went onto amazon to buy two enclosures for them. My current setupthey havent arrived yet is a kingston a400 sata 3 250gb ssd, 2x intel celeron 1017u 1.6mhz cpus,8 gb ram2x 4,...
  10. What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB?: I have new 2TB external drive for backups and not sure for what to use old 2.5 hard drives (spinners): 250 and 500GB. Any suggestion? 170968