Windows 10: Boot into windows on different hard disks

Discus and support Boot into windows on different hard disks in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have Dell inspiron 3542. Using SSD and HDD One via caddy and other directly. Both have windows installed. I dont know how to switch between any of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DG_404, Oct 18, 2024 at 9:18 AM.

1. DG_404 Win User

Boot into windows on different hard disks

I have Dell inspiron 3542. Using SSD and HDD One via caddy and other directly. Both have windows installed. I dont know how to switch between any of those. In BIOS, unable to find option to select which windows to boot into From which hard disk.

:)

2. Windows 10 not detecting my seagate 1 TB external hard disk

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us with the status.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know what exactly happen when you try to open the file?

Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. I would recommend you to connect the external hard disk on different computer and check if you are able to open the files.

I also, suggest you to go to the Disk Management and check if the drive are detecting on the system.

Press Windows + R and type diskmgmt.msc on the box and hit
    Enter.

Method 1.

For now, I suggest you to go to device manager and update Seagate driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.

• Click on Universal Serial Bus to expand, right click on the Seagate
      device and click on Update.
    If the issue still persist, you can try the below method.

Method 2.

I suggest you to connect the SD card to the system and run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost. Once Check Disk completes, boot
    the computer and then check.

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 18, 2024 at 9:23 AM
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

4. Boot into windows on different hard disks

External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 18, 2024 at 9:23 AM
Thema:

Boot into windows on different hard disks

1. Boot into windows on different hard disks - Similar Threads - Boot different hard

2. Boot into windows on different hard disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot into windows on different hard disks: I have Dell inspiron 3542. Using SSD and HDD One via caddy and other directly. Both have windows installed. I dont know how to switch between any of those. In BIOS, unable to find option to select which windows to boot into From which hard disk....
  3. Boot into windows on different hard disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot into windows on different hard disks: I have Dell inspiron 3542. Using SSD and HDD One via caddy and other directly. Both have windows installed. I dont know how to switch between any of those. In BIOS, unable to find option to select which windows to boot into From which hard disk....
  4. Windows 10 not booting after booting from different disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 not booting after booting from different disk: Hello everyone, I upgraded my PC lately and as such installed a fresh version of Windows on a new drive this is my current system and migrated the data that I knew I'd need to the new system manually. The SSD with the old system was still connected to the PC because I...
  5. Windows 10 not booting after booting from different disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 not booting after booting from different disk: Hello everyone, I upgraded my PC lately and as such installed a fresh version of Windows on a new drive this is my current system and migrated the data that I knew I'd need to the new system manually. The SSD with the old system was still connected to the PC because I...
  6. Windows 10 not booting after booting from different disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Define hard disk for different profiles?

Define hard disk for different profiles?: Hi. Can hard disks be set to a Windows profile? For example my girlfriend wants to use the pc but should not delete the data from the SSD and my HDD or be able to access these hard drives. She would then get her own hard drive where she could store her pictures and etc....
  8. Windows and Linux (Two different hard disks)

Windows and Linux (Two different hard disks): Hi there, I'm thinking to buy a new PC with a powerful core (i9) and a couple of hard disks: One for Windows 10 Home and one for Linux (probably CENTOS); caused my job. Can you please advise me about how to proceed with the installation? Is it better to unplug the hard disk...
  9. Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives: Issue: after installing Windows 10 UEFI on Hard drive, I can't boot anymore on Windows 7 UEFI (SSD). My main system, W7 UEFI, is on a SSD. I would like to have a backup system on a different drive (HD) in case my SSD fails so I can be up and running without losing any...
  10. Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot.: I've been swapping out Windows 10 and Windows 7 on my desktop using Macrium Reflect (free version) image backups and restores to the same disk for more than a year without any problem. However, today I restored the last saved Windows 10 backup image to a newly acquired disk...