Windows 10: Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week.

Discus and support Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yes I abandoned by 6000 series card and bought new. That said this was a device that I expect to run for several years. Lots at newegg.com If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MamaBear, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week.

Yes I abandoned by 6000 series card and bought new. That said this was a device that I expect to run for several years.

Lots at newegg.com

If I were you I would make the move to the 8.1 machine. When everything is running after move blow away your old Win 10 installation and do a clean install. It has just given you to many issues to trust.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 12, 2017
  2. MamaBear Win User

This thing is making me crazy today. It's been rebooting over & over, most of the time right after it reboots. Then striped or blank screen and it does it again! It seems like it's GOTTA be the chipset that needs updating, and I need to do it NOW.

I ran Intel Driver Update Utility Installer and it said something about uninstalling some stuff, opened a DOS window, did some stuff, then said it was done.

Is that all I have to do, or is there an actual chipset update utility to run now?

I was looking here and it's confusing me: Download Intel(R) Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

MamaBear, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Should be okay.

To confirm run the tool to check again.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 12, 2017
  4. MamaBear Win User

Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week.

The page there, says that we should check with the mfg to see if they have specific chipset upgrades, but I KNOW what I'm gonna get from Asus. "End of life - sorry".

Is this "Driver Update" the same as the chipset update? Is it doing the same things?

The other time it said it was uninstalling. Now it says it's installing the latest driver update utility. Whew.

MamaBear, Mar 12, 2017
  5. MamaBear Win User
    Oh jeez, the update stopped working in the DOS window and said user dump.

Seems I was using an older version and had to get the latest and run that. It's searching for drivers now...

I'm not clear if this is just for some kinds of drivers, or updates the chipset too, or if it's all the same.

MamaBear, Mar 12, 2017
  6. MamaBear Win User
    It's been rebooting so often that I havent been able to do anything. The chipset update FAILED and generated a log file, but I havent even been able to get to it before a reboot.

MamaBear, Mar 12, 2017
  7. MamaBear Win User
    It's up and stable at the moment. I don't know if it will do any good to look for that chipset install failure log.

MamaBear, Mar 12, 2017
  8. Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week.

I would concentrate on getting your 8.1 machine running. Move and then come back to this beast.

Caledon Ken, Mar 13, 2017
  9. MamaBear Win User
    Well I got lucky or something. After that attempt to update the chipset yesterday, and it telling me it failed, and subsequent BSOD's, after I had to shut the power off during one of them, and start it back up, it's been working without a BSOD since yesterday afternoon. Wow, it's so refreshing...

Just tried forcing it into sleep mode - that didn't work. I think it was USB drivers that were stopping that before, which didn't get changed if the chipset update worked?

Still need to swap the USB wifi...

MamaBear, Mar 14, 2017
  10. MamaBear Win User
    I just had a few minutes and googled: Windows 10 usb preventing sleep

Found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-43704a40419f

I have an external HD for backup but it's ESATA, so I'm not sure on this.

On the good news side, it's been 2 days with no BSOD and I've tested the heck out of the graphics etc. *Smile

MamaBear, Mar 15, 2017
  11. That link is the opposite of your issue, at least where I landed. They are trying to keep machine awake.

Not sure which enclosure you have. Most, okay, all sold today, have Sata guts. As to connecting to pc there was a group of enclosures at one time that came in a bunch of flavors. USB, Firewire and eSATA. They came that way as USB so so painfully slow.

As USB has gotten faster and to reduce costs most now just come USB. That is not to say you can't find one with multiple connections.

If you unit only connects to computer through eSata then I assume your PC must have a port on the back. Now your device may also have a connection port for USB. It will likely be USB 2.0 and while slow it will work.

As to keeping your machine awake, well that is not a problem as yours doesn't sleep. You can set power plans accordingly and there are apps like insomnia that when invoked will not let device sleep.

Very good news on stability.

ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  12. MamaBear Win User
    Yeah thanks, my mistake. *Smile

MamaBear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week.

1. Black screen every Thursday, PC quit sleeping this past week. - Similar Threads - Black screen every

2. Blue screens every week

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screens every week: Hi, i have been dealing with some blue screens that are annoying at times, could anyone help to say what could be the issue?The files for the errors are at the following link:Files.rarThank you in advance...
  3. Blue screens every week

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screens every week: Hi, i have been dealing with some blue screens that are annoying at times, could anyone help to say what could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screens-every-week/16d5c93b-bd11-4d58-b337-7f3698648d6f
  4. Blue screens every week

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screens every week: Hi, i have been dealing with some blue screens that are annoying at times, could anyone help to say what could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screens-every-week/16d5c93b-bd11-4d58-b337-7f3698648d6f
  5. Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks: Every couple of weeks my Windows will boot with a black screen.The solution is to boot it to safe mode, roll back the graphics display driver and then update it and then boot again and problem solved for a couple of more weeks.I have AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT with the latest...
  6. Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks: Every couple of weeks my Windows will boot with a black screen.The solution is to boot it to safe mode, roll back the graphics display driver and then update it and then boot again and problem solved for a couple of more weeks.I have AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT with the latest...
  7. Black screen that wont quit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen that wont quit: Basically my parents all in one stopped working. It would turn on but then it would show a black screen but the mouse still worked. Looked up the problem, tried the easier solutions to no avail. Decided to just go ahead reset it. EPIC FAIL. It said that it was incomplete....
  8. Black Screen issue every week or so

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen issue every week or so: Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but please help me. I am having this strange issue since I upgraded my computer from Intel to Ryzen. Every week or so, if I restart my PC, I am greeted with a black screen with a loading cursor, and nothing else....
  9. PC has been blue screening consistently for the past week

PC has been blue screening consistently for the past week: Hi, recently my Windows 10 computer has been completely and utterly unusable due to many different blue screen errors. I have no idea what could cause it due to the stock codes being different pretty much every time. Most of them are System_Service_Exception, but others...
  10. Blue screens for the past 2 weeks.

Blue screens for the past 2 weeks.: Hello there, ive been getting blue screens when playing games or even using a browser for the past 2 weeks and I really tried everything i know to fix it. The first time it happened i was in a middle of a game and then a blue screen with the stop code :...