Windows 10: AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug

Discus and support AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Are you experiencing intermittent stutters on your AMD computer? You are not alone, the Santa Clara-based company has acknowledged that it is a known... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 9, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug

Are you experiencing intermittent stutters on your AMD computer? You are not alone, the Santa Clara-based company has acknowledged that it is a known issue that affects Ryzen systems running on Windows 10 and 11.

AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug AMD-acknowledges-Ryzen-stuttering-issues-on-Windows-10-and-11.jpg

This is not the first time AMD has run into trouble with Microsoft's operating system, a similar problem was discovered and fixed in October 2021.

The new issue, occurs on computers that have the Firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) enabled. As you may know, TPM is a mandatory requirement to install and update Windows 11. This has prevented users with older computers, that don't have the security module, from upgrading to the new operating system, though there are several ways to bypass the restriction, should you feel the need to do so.

But here's where it gets interesting, Windows 11 is not the only OS that is affected by this bug, Windows 10 is also impacted. Betanews reports that AMD has issued a statement to address the intermittent system stutter problem.

Article PA-410 released by the company explains that the systems that have the fTPM module activated, may be computing extended fTPM-related memory transactions in SPI Flash memory (SPIROM), and that this leads to temporary pauses in the responsiveness of the computer. Does that sound a bit too technical? Don't worry, I got you, the translation is that the computer lags or stutters randomly because the fTPM chip is working in the background continuously.

It is good to see that the issue has been acknowledged but, AMD has not announced which Ryzen motherboards are impacted by the stuttering issues. It is not clear how many systems could be affected by this bug.

AMD says that it is working on fixing the Ryzen stuttering issues, the bad news is that it is going to a while for it to arrive. The chipset maker will provide a system BIOS update to patch the fTPM performance issues, and expects a fix to be available in early May, 2022. The microcode for the firmware will be based on AMD AGESA 1207 or newer.

What about users who are facing problems right now? Well, AMD has mentioned a workaround that users may try. Affected users can optionally switch from fTPM to a hardware TPM (dTPM) module. This fix is not exactly user-friendly, as it requires a TPM 2.0 header on the motherboard. The other issue is that the hardware chip, the TPM module that you need to buy, is not exactly cheap. Techpowerup says that these TPM chips can cost about $50 to $100.

If that does not deter you, you can try switching to TPM. But before you do so, you will need to make sure that BitLocker has been disabled, because the security feature relies on TPM-backed encryption systems. AMD has also advised users to take a back up of their data before switching from fTPM to dTPM.

Many AMD users who bypassed the TPM requirement for Windows 11 say that they have not faced this problem on their computer. While they won't have the additional security features that the chip provides, I think that having a usable computer will ultimately be preferable.

Do you have a Ryzen computer? Are you facing stutters while using the system?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 9, 2022

2. TPM 2.0 with AMD fTPM bios setting enabled on Asus x570 mobo

With MS getting in a funk and making TPM 2.0 a mandatory system requirement I ran the Windows 11 system checker MS released. It said my main system with an Asus ROG Strix x570-E Gaming (bios 3603) wasn't compliant because there was no TPM 2.0.

btw I'm running Windows 10 21H1 - 19043.1081.

So I dived into the bios set AMD fTPM Configuration to Enabled and now the PC is TPM 2.0 compliant.
    Does anyone have experience with the mobo Q code 9E (listed as being for future use) which now displays? I know it shows after running the AMD Ryzen Master app.

Has anyone had any issues when this Q code 9E displays? I'm going to leave the fTpm setting in the bios enabled to see what happens. There are no error messages in the Event Viewer nor system crashes etc. so far.

Here is a screen capture from the TPM module in Windows:

AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug [​IMG]

Marcus Vinicus, Mar 9, 2022
  3. trevtech Win User
    AMD Ryzen 2200G systems hang, usually no BSOD

Problem: Systems hard lock after anywhere from a few minutes of uptime to a couple of days. Image is frozen on screen and no mouse cursor is visible, pressing Ctrl+Shift+Win+B to reset graphics driver does nothing. Only one of the PCs has ever bluescreened
    and it only did so one time, with error code 0x1000009f DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE for ntoskrnl.exe. I tried updating, downgrading, and reinstalling GPU, NIC, and sound drivers but no luck. Every other time the PCs don't bluescreen when they lock up and there
    is nothing in the Event Viewer that is helpful.

Troubleshooting steps tried:

1. Updated AMD drivers from 18.5.1 to 18.7.1 and 18.8.1.
    2. Clean installed both 18.8.1 and 18.5.1.
    3. Installed Realtek LAN and audio drivers from ASRock.
    4. Clean installed 17.7 AIO driver package from ASRock (listed as 17.40).
    5. Updated BIOS from 4.70 to 4.90.
    6. Reset BIOS.
    7. Uninstalled August 2018 Windows 10 patches.
    8. Switched to Balanced power plan instead of Ryzen Balanced.
    9. Disabled USB suspending and PCIe ASPM
    10. Switched to High performance, disabled ASPM & USB SS
    11. Increased SOC voltage to 1.1 and RAM voltage to 1.3.
    12. Removed AMD drivers, used Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
    13. Uninstalled Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1
    14. Started in Safe Mode w/ Networking
    15. Repair install 1803.
    16. Used only one RAM stick at 2133MHz.
    Next steps:

1. Clean install 1803
    2. Install 1709, delay 1803 update
    3. RMA ASRock motherboards
    4. Replaced ASRock motherboards
    5. Replace AMD with Intel

Identical systems specs:

• AMD Ryzen 2200G CPU
    • ASRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX Motherboard
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GB (4GBx2) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
    • Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD
    • EVGA 450W Bronze PSU
    • Fractal Design Core 1000 Micro ATX Case
    • Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803

Other system specs:

• AMD Ryzen 2200G CPU
    • Asus TUF B350M Plus Gaming Micro ATX Motherboard
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (4GBx2) 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
    • Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD
    • Corsair TX650M Gold PSU
    • Fractal Design Node 804 Micro ATX Case
    • Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803

Details:

I built four identical systems and one with different motherboard and RAM, all of them are having this problem to varying degrees of severity. The worst one locked up within 15 minutes, but the best one used to work for over a week without issues. I tried
    doing a repair install on one of the systems, during the preparation period for the upgrade the system locked up at 16%. I was able to get it to complete to the point of restarting to do the majority of the install, but that locked up multiple times as well.

I've looked through the event log, and there is nothing between the systems that points to the source of the problem. There is no one thing that causes the systems to lockup, and there is no rime or reason to when they lockup. One of them did seem to lockup
    every hour, but otherwise it happens at random.

I'm at my wits end; in over 15 years of troubleshooting and building PCs I have never had issues of this scope or inconsistency. I repair computers for a living, and I have never seen issues like this. I have a server based on AMD's Epyc 7351P and my main
    desktop is based on the Ryzen 7 1700, and I haven't had issues anywhere close to this on those systems. At this point I'm seriously considering replacing the CPUs and motherboards with Intel equivalents. I've I'm willing to try any suggestions any one has,
    no matter how much of a long shot they are or how stupid they seem.

Here's a link to the dump file, driver list, and system info: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

trevtech, Mar 9, 2022
  4. kruk Win User

AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug

AMD Readies B2 Stepping of the Ryzen "Summit Ridge" Silicon

I'm not apologizing, I'm just reacting to FUD. Please list me 3 major bugs that affect my Ryzen build. I'm dying to know ...

Also, another rumor that denies the stepping has popped up: Ryzen "B2" Stepping a False Rumor (apparently)

kruk, Mar 9, 2022
Thema:

1. AMD acknowledges Ryzen stuttering issues on Windows 10 and 11 are caused by fTPM bug - Similar Threads - AMD acknowledges Ryzen

2. Acer nitro 5 with AMD Ryzen 7/ Windows 11 freezing issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acer nitro 5 with AMD Ryzen 7/ Windows 11 freezing issues: Windows 11 system has been freezing up several times a day for the last month. It can jjst be unresponsive and requires a hard reboot. Problem can occur within a few minutes, or half a day of steady use. Sometimes it just restarts on its own while I am using it. The laptop...
  3. AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and Windows 11?: Why is the AMD Ryzen 5 2500U not compatible with Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-and-windows-11/dde53510-a2ba-4ad5-ac95-2e8c7ad1c26b
  4. AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and Windows 11?: Why is the AMD Ryzen 5 2500U not compatible with Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-and-windows-11/dde53510-a2ba-4ad5-ac95-2e8c7ad1c26b
  5. AMD Ryzen issue while updating windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    AMD Ryzen issue while updating windows: I am unable to update my windows due to the AMD Ryzen issue.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-ryzen-issue-while-updating-windows/a54c0cf3-a819-4831-9c55-7a71fdcbdb0c
  6. High latency issues Windows 10 Nvidia AMD Ryzen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High latency issues Windows 10 Nvidia AMD Ryzen: Hi I’m getting extreme DCP latency, audio pop, crackle, distortion, frame drops, out of sync issues. I need to fix this ASAP for an animation music production project for my client. I’ve had this issue on and off for years with windows 10. Usually a rollback or fresh install...
  7. Windows not detecting enabled Ryzen fTPM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows not detecting enabled Ryzen fTPM: Hi I'm trying to see if I can get the built in fTPM for my Ryzen 3600 working, to see if I'll be able to upgrade to Win11, and I'm having trouble. I've enabled it in BIOS, and device manager shows "AMD PSP 11.0 Device" under security devices, but tpm.msc and the pc health...
  8. AMD FTPM help! (Bitlocker)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    AMD FTPM help! (Bitlocker): I enabled the AMD FTPM in my bios on my MSI B350 PC MATE motherboard. When I use BitLocker on my local disk C: on startup, I have to use a USB stick to authenticate it. I thought the point of TPM's and FTPM's is to do this automatically without the need for a USB stick. Is...
  9. Cannot update Windows 10. AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot update Windows 10. AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe...: Hi, To fix this issue, I have tried to follow the advice posted here: https://hothardware.com/news/windows-10-may-2019-update-tripping-amd-ryzen-pcs-fix However, when I try to install the AMD driver "amd_chipset_software_2.07.14.327", I can see an error message "the...
  10. Ryzen 2400G and Windows 1903 / 1909 stuttering issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ryzen 2400G and Windows 1903 / 1909 stuttering issues: Hello everyone. I wanted to ask if someone had experienced these symptoms on a Ryzen 2400G. After upgrading to 1903 from 1809 I had stuttering issues where the system would freeze up for 1 to 3 seconds every 10 or 15 seconds. Upgrading to the prerelease 1909 / 19H2 update...