Windows 10: alt tab returning to task bar

Discus and support alt tab returning to task bar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Full screen apps and games keep minimizing itselfwhen i do alt tab the app minimize, same as clicking the app on the task bar, it always minimize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by balb_s, Aug 15, 2021.

1. balb_s Win User

alt tab returning to task bar

Full screen apps and games keep minimizing itselfwhen i do alt tab the app minimize, same as clicking the app on the task bar, it always minimize

:)

balb_s, Aug 15, 2021
  2. Sasqui Win User

alt + tab not working

In XP, I've found I can't alt-tab in, or out of games. In game, I can Ctrl-esc to get out, then I have to click on the task bar to get back in.

Sasqui, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Alt+Tab Prevents Return to Microsoft Office / Office Hangs

This is a weird one. I've searched and haven't found symptoms quite like this.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro (version 1803, OS Build 17134.254) with the latest updates, along with Office Professional Plus 2016.

For the past few months, Alt+Tab has worked fine for every application EXCEPT those belonging to the Office Suite (e.g., Access, Excel, Word). If, for example, I am using Excel and I Alt+Tab to a different window, such as Chrome, I can view and interact with that window just fine.

However, I cannot return to Excel. Alt+Tab will show the icon for Excel, and even let me tab to it within the Alt+Tab window.

alt tab returning to task bar BzH1B.jpg

However, it won't actually switch me over to Excel, and leaves Excel in the background. Clicking on the Excel icon in the task bar does not return it to the foreground. If I hover over the Excel icon in the task bar, it will show a preview, but that's it.

The only way to return to any Office app is to minimize everything on the screen by clicking to the right of the date.

alt tab returning to task bar AoAmj.jpg

Then, faced with my desktop, I can click Excel and it will regain focus, allowing me to edit it.

When I'm using dual monitors and I Alt+Tab away from Excel, it remains open and visible in my other monitor. However, I cannot click on it or interact with it in any way without doing the whole minimize thing I mentioned above.

Oddly, again, this only applies to Office apps. All other open tabs work just fine.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Edit the AltTabSettings DWORD at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    • Deleted the AltTabSettings DWORD
    • Confirmed Peek option is enabled
    • Changed "Turn off Windows Key hotkeys" from Not Configured to Enabled.
    • Changed same setting to Disabled

Granted, the above troubleshooting steps are typically done when Alt+Tab doesn't work at all, but I thought I'd give them a shot.

No luck.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

EDIT 1:

Interestingly, this happens as well when pressing Alt+F11 in Microsoft Access to view the VBA window. I can't click on Access and the VBA icon doesn't appear in the task bar until I minimize everything to view the desktop. Then the second icon appears and I can again interact with Access.

EDIT 2:

For clarity, I'm adding here that I also tried repairing Office.

paulmiller3000, Aug 15, 2021
  4. Adityar Win User

ALT + TAB Become WIN + TAB / Task view

how to change the look of ALT + TAB Become WIN + TAB / Task view?
    alt tab returning to task bar [​IMG]

I use ssd. and i want to turn on delayed startup. is it good or bad?

Adityar, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

1. alt tab returning to task bar - Similar Threads - alt tab returning

2. How to get task bar to show when alt tabbed from a game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get task bar to show when alt tabbed from a game?: All of the sudden when I opened a game and alt tabbed on it my task bar would not show. I have auto hide turned off and checked GeForce experiences yet nothing seemed to fix it. The space where the task bar would be is taken up but the bar is invisible....
  3. How to get task bar to show when alt tabbed from a game?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get task bar to show when alt tabbed from a game?: All of the sudden when I opened a game and alt tabbed on it my task bar would not show. I have auto hide turned off and checked GeForce experiences yet nothing seemed to fix it. The space where the task bar would be is taken up but the bar is invisible....
  4. Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab: I made a modifications to my Windows 10 to get the old behaviour of Alt+Tab image below, i.e., to show the application icons of the tasks being switched rather than previews of their windows. Recently, however, when I Alt+Tab, I see an unnamed task on the far left image...
  5. Task view "ALT+TAB problem"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task view "ALT+TAB problem": Hello,Please tell me how can I deactivate Task View, or tell me how can I make CTRL+TAB switch between programs and not open all the recent stufftask view I don't want to open or keep track off....Sorry if I seem a little blunt, I have been trying to fix this for some days...
  6. Task view "ALT+TAB problem"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task view "ALT+TAB problem": Hello,Please tell me how can I deactivate Task View, or tell me how can I make CTRL+TAB switch between programs and not open all the recent stufftask view I don't want to open or keep track off....Sorry if I seem a little blunt, I have been trying to fix this for some days...
  7. Task view "ALT+TAB problem"

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Alt + Tab and Task Bar Freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt + Tab and Task Bar Freezing: Recently I ran into an issue where when I open either Microsoft Apps, Windows Store Apps and the Settings on my pc it will cause my task bar and alt tab to freeze. The problem fixes after a few seconds and would perform all the things I did. Example: If I spammed alt tab, it...
  9. TASK BAR FROZEN , WINDOWS ICON FROZEN , ALT+TAB not working anymore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TASK BAR FROZEN , WINDOWS ICON FROZEN , ALT+TAB not working anymore: So it's been 2 days of me searching to solve this issue. I started my pc and once it opened up my task bar had no applications attached to it anymore and it was completely "frozen" cannot l/r click it anymore. Windows icon is frozen to as well as the other icons in the...
  10. ALT + TAB Become WIN + TAB / Task view

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ALT + TAB Become WIN + TAB / Task view: how to change the look of ALT + TAB Become WIN + TAB / Task view? [img] I use ssd. and i want to turn on delayed startup. is it good or bad? 106661