Windows 10: Activating windows 11 on a new motherboard

Discus and support Activating windows 11 on a new motherboard in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings,I recently installed a new motherboard, but now I am receiving an "activate windows error." I have attempted to look around, but nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Steven Scott1, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Activating windows 11 on a new motherboard

Greetings,I recently installed a new motherboard, but now I am receiving an "activate windows error." I have attempted to look around, but nothing seems to work. I believe the issue is because my sign-in for windows uses an alias but the windows product is linked to a different alias. Is there any workaround for this? If this is not the issue, then is there another way to retrieve my microsoft product key?Thanks in advance.

:)

Steven Scott1, Nov 5, 2023

2. How to activate my windows 11 home on a new motherboard?

I currently have a pre-built pc that came with windows 11 pre-installed. I have the product key in hand. My question is, how would I activate windows 11 on my recently new/upgraded motherboard? Says my windows is activated "OEM" Please let me know how i can install my windows 11 to my new motherboard. My current motherboard is damaged.

Shaun Melton, Nov 5, 2023
  3. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Nov 5, 2023
  4. mshimala Win User

Activating windows 11 on a new motherboard

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Nov 5, 2023
Thema:

Activating windows 11 on a new motherboard

1. Activating windows 11 on a new motherboard - Similar Threads - Activating motherboard

2. Windows activation error after changing hardware motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation error after changing hardware motherboard.: Yesterday I installed myself a new motherboard, but I ran into a Windows activation error. I tried to find an answer to my question on the Internet, but nothing helped there. If you have a tip help please.***** moved from german to english Community *****...
  3. Windows activation error after changing hardware motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows activation error after changing hardware motherboard.: Yesterday I installed myself a new motherboard, but I ran into a Windows activation error. I tried to find an answer to my question on the Internet, but nothing helped there. If you have a tip help please.***** moved from german to english Community *****...
  4. My digital license is on my old motherboard that got rma'ed. i cant activate win 10 or 11...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My digital license is on my old motherboard that got rma'ed. i cant activate win 10 or 11...: Ive even tried to reinstall windows as i learned that my digital license is on the old motherboard. how do i get it back ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-digital-license-is-on-my-old-motherboard-that/03fa6844-3160-4ca0-8551-5e354939aa28
  5. My digital license is on my old motherboard that got rma'ed. i cant activate win 10 or 11...

My digital license is on my old motherboard that got rma'ed. i cant activate win 10 or 11...: Ive even tried to reinstall windows as i learned that my digital license is on the old motherboard. how do i get it back ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-digital-license-is-on-my-old-motherboard-that/03fa6844-3160-4ca0-8551-5e354939aa28
  6. After I've updated the BIOS of my motherboard, MSI, my Windows instance lost the activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After I've updated the BIOS of my motherboard, MSI, my Windows instance lost the activation: After I've updated the BIOS of my motherboard, MSI, my Windows instance lost the activation. The strange thing is, I cannot use the same code again, it's failing. How can I solve this problem?...
  7. After I've updated the BIOS of my motherboard, MSI, my Windows instance lost the activation

After I've updated the BIOS of my motherboard, MSI, my Windows instance lost the activation: After I've updated the BIOS of my motherboard, MSI, my Windows instance lost the activation. The strange thing is, I cannot use the same code again, it's failing. How can I solve this problem?...
  8. Windows 10 wont activate after motherboard swap

Windows 10 wont activate after motherboard swap: I have an official copy of windows 10 home that was working fine and activated prior to a motherboard swap. I have attempted the troubleshooter but it does not provide me an exact error code instead I receive a statement that it was unable to be activated and I must try again...
  9. Windows 10 wont activate after motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 wont activate after motherboard swap: I have an official copy of windows 10 home that was working fine and activated prior to a motherboard swap. I have attempted the troubleshooter but it does not provide me an exact error code instead I receive a statement that it was unable to be activated and I must try again...
  10. Windows 10 wont activate after motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Gaming