Windows 10: Accessing files from old hard drive

Discus and support Accessing files from old hard drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Dennis D_603, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Accessing files from old hard drive

My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my users file. When I try, I get the message: You don't currently have permission to access this folder. I click on the "continue" option and get the spinning blue circle of death--it will not allow me access. I made myself administrator with full access. I have several pics, docs, and music files from that laptop th

:)

Dennis D_603, Jul 15, 2024

2. Cannot Access Files from old windows Hard Drive

Maybe the old PC refused to boot up because its hard disk had failed, as suggested by the Canadian Tech. Try connecting it to a different PC. If it fails there too then you need to restore your files from your backup medium.

Frederik Long, Jul 15, 2024
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Accessing personal files from old hard drive.

Hey guys, I updated my PC hardware recently and replaced my hard drive with a new one, I didn't format my old drive so I could recover old data. I've plugged it in and I can open up almost everything expect my personal files like documents, music and video. It says it needs permission to continue. I click continue and nothing happens. Are there other methods I can use to get into these files?

Edit: Nevermind after 5 minutes of waiting, it opened up for me. Please close the thread.

Aceman.au, Jul 15, 2024
  4. Accessing files from old hard drive

Location is not available F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. External hard drive

Hi,

Most of the time, when your external hard drive shows that error message, it suggests that you don’t have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. We need to get a permit to take ownership of the drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click your hard drive, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then select Edit.
    • On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Jul 15, 2024
Thema:

Accessing files from old hard drive

1. Accessing files from old hard drive - Similar Threads - Accessing files old

2. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing files from old hard drive: My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my...
  3. Accessing files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing files from old hard drive: My old laptop crashed. I was able to get the hard drive out of the laptop and I got a reader. This old laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 long before it died. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When I hook up to the old hard drive, it will not allow me to access my...
  4. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  5. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  6. Deleting system files from an old hard drive

Deleting system files from an old hard drive: I followed this script: " OK, open a Command Prompt window as Administrator Windows + X keys together and then select Command Prompt Admin from the resulting menu Run each of these commands and press enter after each one, this will remove the old Program Files Folder...
  7. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  8. trying to access old hard drive

trying to access old hard drive: Good morning all. I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off computers which died, and I kept the drives from. I'm on my last two drives, and I'm not able to access either. I plug them in--...
  9. Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.: I am running Windows 10 964 BIT) I want to access the data on an old hard drive that still has an old version of windows on it. (I have a docking facility.) How do I do that without the two operating systems conflicting?...
  10. File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

in Windows 10 Support
    File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access: Hi all! I've searched across the web for help with this and nothing has seemed to work so far. I pulled a hard drive out of my old Windows 7 (I think) PC and I was trying to salvage some old family photos. I found a file with a lock icon on it. It allows me inside, but all...